TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ya'll, just got done cleaning my chain and lube'n it up nice a good, got it all shiney and nice again, i ventured down to the belly pan area to clean the road grime off the bottom. i noticed a small spot of oil that appeared to have leaked out the little hole in the bottom. i then took the belly pan off and there is some oil on the inside of the pan. not a whole lot, just enough to worry me. i havent had a chance to look at it yet, i wanted to come on here first and see what you guys tell me to check. could this turn out ugly or am i just a little jumpy, maybe my oil filter got too loose or overtightened?:O
thanks guys
ryan

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
look at shift rod seal,drain plug, all oil fittings or run the bike without belly pan and see if you can determine where exactly your leak is...good luck...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh, yeah i looked under there, i could really find a positive spot, there was just a slight oil reside and couldnt pin point it, i know my push rod seal needs replacing but the oil leak on the belly pan is nowhere near the area of the push rod. there was just a little oil coming from the clutch cover...im gonna go out and check all the nuts/bolts. maybe its just a sign i need to change my oil :O as for running it and look for a leak, well im in the middle of slash cuttin my exhaust so itll be wayyyyyyyy too loud to do that tonight:banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Any oil outside of the engine is bad news :(

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know i know :( i baby this thing too. just the "martin" black cloud as its known to as in my family. i'm just going to hope for the best or its going to be a long winter

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Make sure it's not excess chain lube before looking too hard.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well since im sure this is the first time the chain has been cleaned since new 8k miles and the oil wasnt there last time i cleaned my bike im sure its not chain lube, tommorrow im gonna run it and check for leaks, i checked all bolts/nuts/screws, nothing really loose, a few moved a tad but not much, oil drain plug tight filter tight....so i dont know, also have to figure out why there was dried up coolant on the belly pan too and why my coolant resevior(sp) tank is below LOW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed the same thing yesterday on my bellypan. I sprayed everything down with WD40 and Simple Green and I am currently looking for leaks. Never noticed any leaks until I started practicing wheelies then there were a couple of drops under my bike and I had some build-up around my pushrod. Also, there was some dried coolant all over my bellypan. Let me know when your bike falls apart on you Dunkchamp so that we can troubleshoot together.:thumbup Also, any advice from some TL gurus would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahah ill keep you posted friedel.....she is running smooth and i havent had any problems as of yet(knocking on wood alot) the oil on the belly pan was just sooo close to the front of the belly pan right in the middle i have no idea where it is coming from. but yeah lets figure this out together, this winter im gonna do the pushrod seal for sure but would like to get this leak figured out first

·
Registered
528 Posts
I`ve got the same thing happing on my 00 TLR with 19000 miles. I thought my bike was on fire because of the oil dripping on the exhaust at an intersection. Can`t stand any leaks on my baby, let me know what u find. Thanks Nick

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mine comes from the plug in the center of the magneto cover on the left hand side. I've
changed the o-ring several times and it just seems to want to keep on weeping (sigh) ...
i'm presently working on making a fitting for AN-8 line that will go in there and hopefully
i can get a better seal and stop the weeping.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
:stupid +1

that is also where mine was leaking.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
I don't know exactly how your belly pans are fitted, but make sure the oil or coolant isn't coming from the weep hole in the front of the right hand engine cover. That's about the only place you can get coolant from so it duns down to the belly pan.

Anyho, if that's the case, you have a set of water pump seals to change.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i found my leak, the generator cover plug, i let the bike warm up for an oil change and was looking for leaks, i checked the generator cover and the plug i could see a little bit of fresh oil inside the little allew screw area, so i wipped it down and then a matter or a second there was more oil in the area, so looks like thats what it is.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
The generator cover plug, that kinda sounds like a photosomaeteater which is right below the double wammy bar.......HAHAHA:) Thanks for the info, I`ll be tackling my leak later this week and I`ll be sure to check the generator cover plug. Thanks Again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts