TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waz up guy i'm mike and i was intrested in purchasing a 1997 TL1000s with 14,000 miles for 3300. I have a few questions.
Is this a good price?
How often are the valves suppose to be adjusted on this thing?
Is it restricted electronically in anyway,such as top speed,timing retarded in the lower gears and such?
What is this things quarter mile,top speed and 0-100 times, how would they compare to a 750?
Any things to know about b4 i ride bike for test ride?
What should i look for as points of potential trouble?
How hard is it work on?
Is this a good first bike?:coocoo j/k

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
bob12312357 said:
Waz up guy i'm mike and i was intrested in purchasing a 1997 TL1000s with 14,000 miles for 3300. I have a few questions.
Is this a good price?
How often are the valves suppose to be adjusted on this thing?
Is it restricted electronically in anyway,such as top speed,timing retarded in the lower gears and such?
What is this things quarter mile,top speed and 0-100 times, how would they compare to a 750?
Any things to know about b4 i ride bike for test ride?
What should i look for as points of potential trouble?
How hard is it work on?
Is this a good first bike?:coocoo j/k
Price sounds pretty good as long as it's good shape.
Valves 15k or so, but worth checking before that. They are easy to check
I'm not sure if the 97 had the timing retarded or not. 98 and up did, but I can't remember if 97 did.
A new 750 is faster, but the torque of the V-twin has more grin factor (I think)
Pretty easy to work on.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Yes, 97's had retarded timing (no pun intended) in I think the first 2 gears? The wires were different which means the standard TRE part for other Suzukis (3 wires) won't work on the '97 (2 wires). ALso, the '97 clutch and oiling system are generally inferior to later years. The power is up on later years though :thumbup

Provided the bike is in decent repair $3,300 is a decent price.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The three wire TRE's will work with the 97 but it takes some extra work. I don't recommend the JSD TRE for the 97 as nothing is marked.

3300 is a good price if it's in decent shape. Be sure to check for cracks at the rotary damper mounts and headstock. No big deal if it has a crack in the rotary damper, you would just need to put a bitubo in. It's also an excuse to knock the price down 500 bucks.

Motorcycle.com ran a 10.5 in the quarter mile IIRC.

It's a great bang for the buck and fairly reliable if you take care of it. The 97's had a lot of issues but if the previous owner took care of them, you're in fat city. Use the search to read more.

Good luck.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I gave 3500 for mine and it was pretty much like the one you describe. Mine had a few less miles and Yosh RS-3 bolt ons, tank bra, frame sliders, stock and aftermarket blinkers, extra headlights, stock pipes and new tires. Show up with 3K cash and you will probably get it. I offered the guy 3500 and he wanted 4500 so there is a possiblity for you to get an even better deal. I would buy it for 3300 if I were you. Normally you dont get much for 3k.........

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How would this thing compare to a 94gixxer 750 in terms of low end,mid,and top end?
Can you get a fairing for the 97 S model or are you forced to stay naked?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Well... the S does actually have a fairing... just no lower. :O And yes, there are lowers available although personally the only one I really like are the Sharkskinz setup.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
bob12312357 said:
How would this thing compare to a 94gixxer 750 in terms of low end,mid,and top end?

i would say the TL is faster than a 94 gixxer750, the same as a 98 gixxer750 and less than a 00+ gixxer750.

Yes you can get lowers for them, i personally have a targa, i think it looks good.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey dude waz up i think i bumped you on sportbikes.net 20 minutes ago bikes for sale without realizing you belonged to this forum. Outta curiosity how much do those lower fairings cost and how do you mount em? How bout that solo cowl you got,where do you get those? Man i wish i lived in Arizonona

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
haha they mount using 3 tabs on each side. one tab mounts to the radiator using a pre existing hole, another tab mounts to the fairing support and the third tab mounts on a clutch cover bolt. If you can find the lower fairings, they usually run around 200. Also im pretty sure all TLs came with solo cowls. If the one your looking at doesnt have one, you can find them on ebay usually.

S

·
0 Posts
TLS Full Bodywork

Heres a shot of my 97'TLS before i started turning it into frankenbike

1 more

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you're an I4 guy then the first thing you'll notice is the TL is sneaky fast. Your brain/butt are expecting the buzz of an I4 but you never get it. But while trying to do that you're quickly over 100mph without realizing. I switched from a ninja to the TLS and within a week I had my first speeding ticket ever. 110 coming onto the freeway, luckily the CHP (bike) was understanding and wrote me up for 85+ and let me go with that. It could've been much worse.

The other thing to remember is that the bike was designed in the mid 90's with a specific purpose in mind...to compete with 750's and Ducati's as the rules allowed v-twins to have a 1000cc or so displacement. Newer bikes will make you feel like a wuss, even some six hundreds will blow past you. BUT, when you get to the twisties, the TL's really shine. As your buddies on the 600's and 750's are going up and down through their gearbox, you're in second, never need to cluthc and pulling away. On the track, the TL rocks for that reason and the fact the your bike is making power pulses about half as much as the i4's, so the rear wheel is making/keeping traction twice as long. That was Ducati's secret for so long. Better at HP management. Better at getting that power to the ground and keeping it there.

But, for me, the main reason I got my TL, is because it's the last sportbike I saw that truly has soul. Looks and sounds like no other. It seems like those that ride TL's come from a different breed. Not your average sportbiker. Just read through these pages and you'll see it's more of a community than a normal internet forum. I couldn't pick any of these guys out of a line up (maybe DougTLS, but that's it) but I feel like I actually know some of these guys. SteveTLS has helped with my NOOB issues after I got my TL last year...Rifleman seems like he's the neighbor down the street...and I've never met anyone on this board in person. I've bought two sets of bolt ons, carbon and stainless, from people on this board, never had an issue or anything.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you buy a TL, if you stick around the zone, then you're getting a bargain, and with all you've saved, more than a few guys around here can show you where to put that money to make your TL even better. To truly make it yours. It's not just another TL or another bike, but an extension of your body, connected at the right wrist.

just my .02 cents, so take it for what it's worth.

C

oh and :bigfinger

Just realized another part of your question...Is this a good First bike? You mean First First? Never been a bike before, first? I don't know about that. If you learn on it then I doubt you'll be scared to get on any other bike, but learning on a TL? My advice would be no. Find a smaller 600, Honda f2 or f3 and ride it for a year or so, then move to a liter bike. The TL is powerful, heavy and needs to be respected.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C MOnkee awesome write up. Don't worry if ya checked out my profile i am 19 but have been riding for 2 almost 3 years over 30,000 miles in NYC and with 4 diffrent bikes(no they weren't wrecked:laugh ) trying to find my true love,just a lil sarcasm with that first bike line. I go all over with this thing(750) from Vermont to Virginia. Just want something with a lot more low end,better ergos and lower revs on the highway and a lil sexier styling. If this thing has so much low end how is a 600 gonna out run it? My 750 absolutely smokes my friends Honda 600rr,ZX6 and even 636 especially 25-100 or 120- 160.(secluded controled access roads done rarely) this thing makes about same HP and has 20 lbs more of torque. Hows a 600 gonna get anywhere near this? Hows the ergos for a 6'1 205 lb rider are your knees cramped like on a 750?Also wats up with a lot of people saying their motors blew up and threw rods and bearings? Sorry to sound so needy but i really love the looks and sounds of this bike and how it supposedly rides. I just wanna know as much as possible b4 i take a test ride and risk falling in love:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The only time the TL starts bustin' its hard parts is with lots of time spent at WOT, like during track days. Any motor's gonna eventually fail. As far as ergos, the TL is about the same as the Gix 750 of similar year (SRAD bikes). The TL has the better fairing/windshield combo IMHO (better wind protection).

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's a much better streetbike than 750's, especially if you want to travel longer distances. I'm 6'0 and have ridden all over the western US on it, never uncomfortable. That being said, the engine is really the shining star, the rest needs work to be better. I've spent much more on the old TL than I would have on any other bike, but there just isn't anything else out there like it, so if it's for you, you'll know it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
bob12312357 said:

no need to stay naked......heres mine... its a 1997

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
some of the new 600's will get close to you if you have a late model tl. they seemed to make less power as the years went by. but they're a cheap bike to buy. so if you have some spare cash it's easy to get more power.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
youre new TL should stomp a mid 90's gsxr750 with no problems, and make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get used to the way the twin feels, and youll probably find you really enjoy the way they run :) good luck :thumbup

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a 97 and if i do get it i plan on a tre or PC to smooth out the first few gears. I appreciate everyones enthusiastic replies to my needy sounding questions. Ohh man i can't wait to try this thing out Sunday.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
bob12312357 said:
It's a 97 and if i do get it i plan on a tre or PC to smooth out the first few gears. I appreciate everyones enthusiastic replies to my needy sounding questions. Ohh man i can't wait to try this thing out Sunday.

TRE is a 15 cent resistor, PCII lets you adjust the FI, ignition and a couple other things, totally different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts