TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am filling out a Cus. Dec. form for shipping from the USA to Australia. It asks to describe the items as merch., a gift, commercial goods, etc. And the declared value. Is the recipiant gonna have to pay a tax on this and how should I fill out the form as to ease the amount of tax?

:O

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
if you want to avoid taxes altogether you mark it gift with a $20 value. of course if gets investigated at customs and found to be worth a lot more then the shit hits the fan....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I wanna help the dude who is getting this out but I don't wanna **** him with customs either....... hmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
451 Posts
i recently received a keyboard from a US ebay seller marked as "commercial sample"

maybe that helps?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...put B-day gift, and declare the proper value - this is hit or miss, some times you get hit with tax and some times you don't but at least you are not lying on the declared value...and you can insure it if needed...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
done, the ball is in motion.....

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I shipped Rupes a set of Ohlins forks, calipers, and a lower triple clamp as a wedding gift. :coocoo

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
how sweet:blush

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
He said the Mrs. to be was happy!

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I have been shipping stuff as a gift and used parts and try to declare the value close to what I could buy it used for here on the low side of the scale for insurance purposes.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I think they changed our private / person import tax. Upto $1000 and I don't think it even gets looked at.

Hit and miss at the best of times. I've only been stung twice (Bitubo and a set of leathers). I'm way in front though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was shipped in a non-discript box, as a gift but declared at true value, so it not too jinky.....

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
I often get parts from the states and I ask for them to mark as a gift and keep the insured amount low, and I'll take the risk, sometimes the sellers won't do that.

If and when I do get stung for a customs bill I write a nice letter to customs saying that they have charged me based on the insured amount and kindly point out that is not what i paid but purely the replacement value should it get lost or damaged.

I generally get back most of the money except the customs handling fees.

I'm getting quite good at FrontPaging ebay/paypal auctions sale figures as proof, just don't forget to change the auction number incase they decide to type it in :laugh

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
It depends on the country... usually if you marked "goods" and a value the reciever has to pay taxes based on this value. Declaring as a gift is nice, but won't work if you receive packets all year long. Upon a certain amount they will begin to ask questions.

Over here it's hit and miss. Sometimes I pay for a $10 item $15 taxes (there's a handling fee and such shit). On the other hand I received a correctly declared Ohlins item without paying any tax. This one was sure worth more than $10.
Lately I got a packet with a barend that had been opened at the customs. They must hate me to open such a small packet! At least they agreed it has no value :lol

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i had a full yosh system get through unchecked... It had "used motorcycle parts" on the declaration and a value if $50

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
just got some calipers from speedking, he marked them used motorcycle parts and put an $85.00 price on it, no charges here and delivered straight to me at work.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
just had my nos system shipped from the US £30 bill and £13.60 of that was parcel farce handling charge was shipped as new automotive parts tho :(

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
It's been a few hit'n misses for me. I had to pay $50 for some stuff from CalSportBike that initially cost me $190. That's more than 25% extra. Also from Fengler where he wrote on the package what I paid him ($50), which really is the correct way of doing it. The bad thing was that customs wanted $26 for it! :banghead I called them though telling them it was a gift and that I payed $10 for shipping only and insinuated that Fengler might have wrote $50 for insurance reasons. :devious

I got lucky that time and ended up paying nothing. :)

Unless it's something very, very valuable, you often can quote a very low cost on the package. It's hard for customs to actually calculate the value of, lets say, a "home made" second hand clear clutch cover...

Here in Swe, the upper limit for gift value is 500SEK (around $70)...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts