TLZone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing your super kewl Rifleman’s 1/5 or 1/6 throttle insert.

Step 1…. Get a super kewl Rifleman’s 1/5 or 1/6 throttle insert by Pming me and I’ll get one right out to you.

Step 2…. Get together the needed tools. This includes a Phillips head screwdriver, a stubby is better but not necessary, a pair of strong side cutters (Dikes) or bolt cutters, and most importantly, a mini tubing cutter. This can be obtained from any good hardware store or plumbing supply. This is worth purchasing while your waiting for your insert to be delivered. I can’t believe how many things I have used this for on my vehicles.

Step 3…. Slack both of the cable tensioning devices on the cables leading to the throttle node. Loosen the large ring and then turn in the cones. This slacks the cables and gives you some working space for the disassembly. Remove your bar end weight from the right side clip-on. These are on the 03’ Tiller, can’t say for earlier models or the Tillis but there is a cable adjustment somewhere, just might be down near the TB and might take some digging to get to.

Step 4…. Take apart your throttle node. There are three Phillips head screws in the bottom of the node. Two are visible in the pic; the third one is on the gas tank side of the node. Two will hold the node halves together, the third (closes in the pic) holds the cable in the node.

Step 5…. Slip the cables ends out of the throttle grip assembly. With the cable tensioning devices backed off this should be simple but may require a small flat bladed screw drive to push the cable ends out of the grip

Step 6…. With the cables removed from the grip, slide the grip off the clip-on. Clean the inside if the grip and the surface of the clip-on and lube it when you put everything back together. The 1/5 increases throttle speed but also increases the torque needed to return the throttle to idle. Sometimes the TB spring isn’t strong enough to spring return the throttle to idle when the clip-on and grip plastic is dirty. This can be a kinda scary situation when you don’t expect it. I lubed mine with WD40 and didn’t have a problem.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nstalling your super kewl Rifleman’s 1/5 or 1/6 throttle insert.

Step 7…. Now you have to trim off the end of the cable housing on the forward cable. The tip of the cable housing sticks into the area where the throttle insert will be when installed.

After it’s trimmed it looks like this

get the mini tubing cutter and attach it about a ¼ to 3/8ths of an inch from the end. DO NOT use a hacksaw to trim the cable housing. Any little nick on the cable will start the failure process so use a tubing cutter…. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.:rant

When you get through the metal housing the little ring will break off like this.

Using your side cutters or bolt cutters CAREFULLY snip that ring loose. Yes it’s a bitch but be careful not to nick the cable. Die grinder, Dremel, file… all will start to look good when your hand hurts a bit but don’t nick that cable. After some grumbling, a beer or two and finding a good glove the wear, the little bugger will come loose and get pried off the cable.

Now install the cable back in the lower node housing and see that you have plenty of room for that throttle insert to fit now.

Step 8…. Install the insert on your freshly cleaned grip. You will note one tab is a bit longer then the other. Slip the tab into the long side of the plastic grip first. Then pull the clip open just a bit and slip the shorter tab into the grip. Look in the little holes that the cable ends attach to, there shouldn’t be any of the inserts showing in the holes. If there is the cable ends won’t go back in. Trim with a razor knife or Xacto if needed.

Step 9…. Time to reinstall everything. Slip the grip onto the clip-on (lube now) and hold the lower half of the control node against the clip-on. Slip the forward cable end into the grip hole,

Then slip the aft cable end into the grip hole. Let the cable slip off the 1/5 insert. There should be enough slack to get it in if you don’t have the cable over the insert.

Now slowly roll the throttle open and the cable will slip into the insert groove.

Place the top half of the node over the assembly and MAKE SURE THE LITTLE TIT IS IN THE CLIP-ON DIMPLE!

Squeeze the node together by hand and move it around until it is seated properly. Always give the throttle a few tests, if something is wrong you will feel it before you break something or get it all back together and have to take it apart again. If you don’t and install the two screws, nothing fits and you crush the little tit and get mad and curse my name. Put in the two remaining screws, long one in front, short one aft and tighten. Keep twisting the throttle and making sure nothing is binding or hanging up. I’ve pinched the kill switch wires up against the insert once and knew instantly something was amiss. Tighten up the cable adjustments but NOT TO TIGHT! Just take the play out of the throttle. I tightened them up to tight and the throttle wouldn’t spring return to idle. Now that the screws are back in and tight and the throttle operates freely you are ready to rock with your new 1/5 throttle.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

One additional step may be necessary for the proper install of the 1/5 and is necessary for the install of the 1/6 throttle insert.

a small tab is molded into the bottom node plastics (see pic)

this tab must be removed or the throttle tube will rub against it and give you a poor mans cruise control. My 1/5 fit and cleared but I have had others tell me that theirs doesn't.

Best to get out that dremmel and get it out of the way.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I can get the mini tubing cutters for anyone who needs one.

they are $10 delivered to US/Canada $12 to UK/down under if shipped by themselves

If shipped with an insert......... add $8 to the $25 (that's $33) for all addresses.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Rifleman I hope you dont mind me adding to your list:

1)If you dont have a dremel then a flat bladed screw driver heated red hot will easily smooth out the tabs on the lower housing

2)If you undo the pinch bolts for the front brake lever/master cylinder assembly that'll give you enough cable length without having to release the cable adjusters by the throttle bodies.

3)When removing the 5mm of throttle cable guide cut two smaller sections.....much easier to snip off the cable.

And finally after buying and fitting the 'shop' version and Rifleman's version I'll buy/use Rifleman's throttle clip everytime
:) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.