TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CRAP so now ive got a bolt snapped in half in my caliper:banghead theres no way to get a vice grip on it to get it out. What about an extractor bit? FUC* this has ruined my day. what the hell do I do?! The wife is gonna kill me. My dumb ass needs to get a torque wrench:coocoo SHI*!!!!:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:mad

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Is the centre of it clear & open? An extractor might be a quick and easy solution to get it out.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Is the centre of it clear & open? An extractor might be a quick and easy solution to get it out.
That's how it always starts
I know,I'll just use this easy-out

2 minutes later:
How am I going to remove this broken easy out?:devious

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
how tight does a speed bleeder need to be ??? i would have thought just a bit more than finger tight. Sorry not much help, personally i think its screwed :pirate

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
That's how it always starts
I know,I'll just use this easy-out

2 minutes later:
How am I going to remove this broken easy out?:devious
Been there done that - bar end...:banghead:puke. If you do use an easy out maybe drill the hole out to use the biggest you E O possible. You might need to push something down the hole b4 you drill, to stop any filings getting in to your calipers. Be CAREFUL, I ended up drilling out the broken E Ofrom my clipon, got it out, then snapped the drill off:puke.
Got a 2nd hand clipon shipped to me, and this had a bolt snapped off in it too:lol. This time I used a drill-bit same size as the bolt shaft, or 1mm smaller than threaded diameter (same drill size), CAREFULLY drilled it out, picked out the metal left in the thread, re-tapped it and voila, all fixed in 15mins.:) Filings mite be a problem, magnet on a thin screw-driver, or on an L allen key?? I've made a strong electro-magnet for this sort of thing. After what i have been through this is the way i'd do it every time:)
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The good news is calipers are relatively cheap, shouldn't be much work, just down time on the bike :banghead

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
See? I'm not the only one who does this :p
Don't worry Jas - they all limp-wristed pansies :yes and it ain't that bad ... you'll get it sorted :yes the biggest bugger is the time you have to waste not riding and getting the stupid thing out of there :(

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sorry guys I was so mad last nite i got a little tipsy when I typed this. This is for my 636, you woulda thought I would have not been dumb enough to do this but with that red thread seal it made it tight when I first started wrenching it on. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead Well, im thinking of going to lowes and getting some extractors, trying it out and if it dont work, Ive got a 90 dollar shipped option from one of the guys on ninjazone.net for a set of stock calipers. Should I just do that and not waste my money on extractors. The metal shaving does sound band and I dont think I could prevent stuff from getting in there:banghead unless I stuff a small bit of issue in there since the bottom tapers.

I dont know if you all know what these things look like on the inside but it snapped off halfway where the ball bearing is, so I used my fingernails and pulled the ball bearing out and there is a nice clean hole there now

Oh and thanks for the reassuring words guys, I know this is minor chips in the grand scheme of things. atleaset I didnt blow the motor or something ha ha ha. It just really pisses me off since I just bought this bike and im already foorking it up:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
976 Posts
Take the caliper off and take it to a welder.He can tig weld a nut on that thing and spin it right out.I have a local welding shop that does shit like that all the time.It would probably take 5 minutes to do.You will spend more time bleeding the system than it takes the welder to get the bleeder out.Good luck

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
theres a lot of :banghead:banghead in there ! :banghead
sorry guys I was so mad last nite i got a little tipsy when I typed this. This is for my 636, you woulda thought I would have not been dumb enough to do this but with that red thread seal it made it tight when I first started wrenching it on. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead Well, im thinking of going to lowes and getting some extractors, trying it out and if it dont work, Ive got a 90 dollar shipped option from one of the guys on ninjazone.net for a set of stock calipers. Should I just do that and not waste my money on extractors. The metal shaving does sound band and I dont think I could prevent stuff from getting in there:banghead unless I stuff a small bit of issue in there since the bottom tapers.

I dont know if you all know what these things look like on the inside but it snapped off halfway where the ball bearing is, so I used my fingernails and pulled the ball bearing out and there is a nice clean hole there now

Oh and thanks for the reassuring words guys, I know this is minor chips in the grand scheme of things. atleaset I didnt blow the motor or something ha ha ha. It just really pisses me off since I just bought this bike and im already foorking it up:banghead:banghead

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
You could certainly take it off and take it to any really good machine shop, where they'll extract it without breaking the extractor. But some make you leave it a day, other shops will do it while you wait.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sheeit, well i just ordered a pair of calipers for 90 bones from a fellow zone member. All will hopefully be well soon. In the meantime can the brakes still be bled from the banjo bolt? When I pumped the front brakes nothing came out of the broken bleeder. How would one go about doing this? Crack the bajo bolt or take it all the way off?

·
Registered
252 Posts
There's a tool called the grabbit. You drill a grove then it catches and unscrews it. It works. I dont know if Lowe's or Home Depot sell it, they prob have a similar tool. That's the easiest route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts