TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This im sure has been done to death and hope to be in the right thread as well....BUt i searched and there are heaps of information but not much in the form of an easy process, even though it really is... Some took tanks off , some just fitted it in etc, but for time and able to get these big mittons of hands into tiny areas to turn bolts and screws etc, and as Frank Sinatra said" i did it my way " and will post this , to maybe help others in the future and some easy to understand pics, without the tech talk. Im sure some will have there own form as well ...So Bear with me..

OK, first thing to do is stand by the letterbox and wait till it arrives!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next thing to do is to raise your rear wheel off the ground, i did this by putting some steel through and onto car jacks.
I couldnt put on the rear wheel stand as the rear wheel needed to drop and get the sag, which i measured to see what the difference was and also do some tiny other stuff.
You dont have to do this , but i did it to get the real sag and measurement and then i could take the difference when bitubo on and then when I sit on it etc for settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then took the whole back off, which wasnt that hard. Seat, then disconnected the wires and put diff coloured tape on them so as i knew how to put them back on . I loosened the pipe holders and once the main bolts were off, i was able to slide the back end off the pipes which revealed this, and heaps of space to work on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sat for a beer and a smoke and contemplated building a seat and riding around like this....:coocoo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, next take out the dampner and keep the bolts handy. the bolts are on the top and bottom linkages on the left of the pic. Take out the spring as well, and lift the tank up a bit so as to get to the nut under there holding the spring on. Once off, you need to keep the bolt and nut for attaching the bitubo later so dont throw away.

The whole dampner thing has to come out and you then can use it for your anchor when your fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next thing to do is put the spacer to the left on the bottom of the linkages, and from the previous coil/spring dismantle that to keep the angle and bolt that in as per pic.
Its handy to loosen the bolts whilst it is all in there as it makes it easier to have support. Then you take the main coil out and just undo the bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next item to do is attach the new bitubo and take the original bolts and use. Attach the bolt from the tank and put that back all up and tighten the nut under the tank.

The clamp you get in the pack, you then just need to put it on one of the linkages, and tighten , but remember to leave enough room so as to turn the gas cannister dial , as if you put the sub frame back on, it may hit the bolts, hence why i left it on loose, put the frame back on, then moved it into a nice easy position and tightened.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then nearly last item to do is after you have put it all back together, just sit and stare and take for ride !!!

I know its not a pretty explanation but might help some who want to try it, without getting confused etc.

Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
This should be pinned to the frequent mods section! :thumbup

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just for reference, took these pics today after removing a bitubo:

Yep 3.2kg weight saving or 7.04lbs for you imperial folk

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Nice work Dave.. Simple enough to understand :thumbup

You did it the long way though by taking the whole tail off, or maybe it was the smart way :confused:laugh I thought about it and couldn't be bothered, need to be a little careful when trying to squeeze it in with everything else there :laugh

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I undid the rear of the tank to ease access and put a brick under the rear wheel to unweight it while sliding stuff in and out ... I think I got to use my punch kit to tap the pins out but otherwise it went fine ... oh except for the disc in my back exploding at the end :dowhat had to drag myself inside with my arms and the wife cleaned up the left over suspension :laugh

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
oh except for the disc in my back exploding at the end :dowhat had to drag myself inside with my arms and the wife cleaned up the left over suspension :laugh
Your a smart man, i'll use that excuse next time :laugh

·
Registered
676 Posts
nice one mate im puttin mine on this weekend thanks for the tips
Sorry to hijack but happy to hear you are finally doing the install.:devious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts