TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So nov 24th 2004 I started a policy with Liberty Mutual for home and cage ins. Within the first month they managed to screw up my billing twice. Note, I paid the full amount for the year all at once on the 24th for all the policies. They sent me a check for $8 for no apariant reason then a week later sent me a form saying I was deliquent in payment by $8 (I hadn't even cashed the check). After an hour of talking to lots of different folks on the phone they said it was sorted.

Well next month, same deal all over again - this pattern more or less repeated for the entire year of my coverage. I had at least one major billing error every month for the entire year. I cancled the policy as soon as the year was up and started a new policy with state farm for everthing with no laps in coverage etc. Sent Lib Mutual cancelation notices, copies of my state farm decs for both cage policies and the HO policy and all that good stuff. Called to confirm that they recived it etc.....all was said to be good to go. Also called my mortage company to let them know I switched HO ins.

A month later LM sends me a bill for $8 again:banghead. Go though the usual drill, although this time they insisted I hadn't canceled my policy and I had to fax over all my dec pages etc again. Huge pita.

Now my home ins fee is escrowed by my mortage company as that's their required policy - a couple months later (now early '06) state farm informs me that they weren't able to be paid from the mortage co via escrow for the HO ins. So I called my mortage co and found out that they had been billed by LM for CY '06 and paid LM not realizing that they were not my ins co anymore. Called up LM and they again (now the third time) said they had no record of me canceling the policy. Sent all the paperwork over etc, called to confirm that it was recived bla bla bla and nothing. They still refused to send back the $$ they had gotten out of the mortage co for a policy I don't have or want. Eventually after literally ~ 6 hours on the phone and faxing over my stuff half a dozen times they said they would send a check. The check showed up a couple months later. Now its ~ march '06. By this point I figured I was finally rid of LM for good.

Twas not to be, this week I got a notice of funds witdrawal from LM for an auto policy that hasn't been active for a bit over a year. Called up, explained the situtation and again they insisted I had never cancled the policy and refused to cancel it or stop the funds withdrawal unless I faxed over my dec pages etc to prove that I have been otherwise insured for the past year, just sent the stuff over, hopefully it will stick this time:rant

Botom line, never ever even think about using liberty mutual for anything:rant :grrr :fire

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mate that sucks big time, seems like no matter where you are in the world bloody insurance companies bend you over and give it to you hard.
Over the pond I know if we cancel a policy it is against the law for them to take any funds without consent from the account holder, I have been caught out a couple of time in the past and now when I cancel with a company I also cancel at my bank that way if the cheating f*ckers do try and take anything the bank stops them, but then again I dont know anything about the laws over there so it may be different,
but matey my sympathy is with you those f*ckers make my blood boil
Ally

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure its illegal for them to take money from my account for a cancled policy here as well. But the cost of actually enforcing such laws would be extream. I am going to try calling my bank to ask them to be sure not to allow LM to withdraw funds, but I'm not sure if they are setup to block LM without blocking all my other automatic payments.

On a better note, I've been totally happy with state farm:thumbup

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
On a better note, I've been totally happy with state farm
I hate to tell ya, but State Farm sucks if you ever need to make a claim. Being in the business, I know how they treat their insureds, particularly on Homeowners claims. SF is not so bad for auto for the mundane fender bender stuff, but you are screwed if plumbing bursts and your house gets badly flooded or if a big fire or other major calamity hits. You are also screwed with SF if you ever get badly hurt by an uninsured motorist and have to make a claim for uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) against your own policy.

I see the shit SF pulls with restoration contractors I work with every day and I was appalled at the shit they pulled when my wife's cousin had her house burn to the ground. Their conduct with my relatives was a total breach of contract and actionable in court as far as I am concerned. I gave them lots of free advice. SF got off their ass and started to fork over some money after I ghost wrote a nasty letter to them pointing out their mulitple breaches of contract and an intent to file a lawsuit if the sitiation was not rectified. Things got better after that. It should not have to come to that.

Cincinnati Financial, Amica (my employer and consecutive winner of JD Power's top service award for auto and homeowner insurance), Chubb (rich person's insurance) and to a fading extent, USAA are good. Unfortunately as a cost saving measure, USAA laid off a bunch of claims people and outsourced a lot of their claims operations to independent adjuster Crawford & Company, which is a place for adjusters to go when they are between jobs or if they suck so bad they can't get a job.

I have my Homeowners with Amica and my auto and MC insurance with GEICO. Never made a claim to date with GEICO so I can't say too much about their service, but their Underwriting operation has been very efficient. I was able to have proof of insurance faxed to the DMV while I registered my new FZ-1. Their responsiveness in getting that done was pretty impressive. For unknown reason, the FZ cost $41 a year less to insure than the TLS :) GEICO is also owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway empire, which has more money than God. They are financially secure to say the least.

Also, there is no need to escrow your taxes and insurance. I prefer to pay those direct myself. I am having a good year this year on the stock market, so I plan to pre-pay my first '07 property tax payment, which is not due until February 2007, this year so I can deduct it against capital gains on this year's return :) Paying property tax on your own in bigger chunks requires more financial discipline, but it gives more flexibility too with your deductions. If I have a crap investing year next year, I won't need the deduction so much and I can enjoy already having made half my property tax payment ahead of time. If I have a good year, I pre-pay my due in February property tax again.

I feel your pain. If I did not work for Amica and if I could not get a job with Cincinnati or Chubb, I would not be in this cheesy business. :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info:thumbup I guess I should think about changing ins again, but SF has an office with very friendly, compotent people staffing it 5 min from my house and they haven't screwed up by billing stuff once. I've never made an ins claim for anything in my life, so no experence there. I probably wouldn't have ins at all if not required by the mortage co and state (I'm risk-neutral like that:lol).

I did get a quote from geico and they were over 2x the price of SF or most of the others. They seem to be very competitive for umm, older folks - my parents and in-laws use them I think and found them to be great. Both my wife and I would be have to pay more than double for their coverage.

My mortage co requires that I escro the taxes and insurance with them. I'd rather do it on my own, although its not a big deal as at this stage of life my finances are quite simple.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I did get a quote from geico and they were over 2x the price of SF or most of the others. They seem to be very competitive for umm, older folks - my parents and in-laws use them I think and found them to be great. Both my wife and I would be have to pay more than double for their coverage.
:stupid They were twice the amount of any quote I ever recieved but maybe its just the DC metro area

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno, my in-laws use them and find them very well priced - they live in Alexandria VA but are 2x my age:O

·
5,503 Posts
My mortage co requires that I escrow the taxes and insurance with them.
Bastards. The issue I have with that is they get the collective use of all their customer's escrow money. It has to amount to untold millions in free "float" money for the lender and they are likely making more than a few bucks off of it. Since it is my money, I would rather make a few bucks off it it, thanks. Sure, the interest on my insurance and property tax money may only be $150 a year, but it is my $150, not theirs. Also, as I mentioned earlier, when I pay my property tax can be used to my benefit in managing my taxes.

I am guessing you may have Countrywide. Another company I have a bone to pick with. On large losses over $10,000, as an insurance adjuster I have to include the mortgage company on the payment check. This usually does not present a problem unless the hapless customer happens to have their mortgage with Countrywide. They take forever to sign off on the checks and release the money. If the amount is large, say 6 figures, I have had instances where they really jerk people around. I have had insureds call me all upset about it. All I can say is it is a "customer service issue with your lender". Blah!

I am just full of piss and vinegar towards insurance and financial institutions today. Most folks don't think about it much, but these corporations (especially financial concerns like credit card companies and private equity investment groups) are the big money robber barons of the modern age. What Capital One is doing to low income cardholders is simply criminal. I read the other day 60% of their income comes from "nuisance" fees. They are very aggressive in asserting them and screwing the people who can least afford it.

I guess I am a hypocrite though. Mastercard came on the market with their stock offering in June. I bought 8 grand worth at $46 a share and sold it at $72.00 a share, for a $5,000 pre-tax profit. That and the TLS money bought the new FZ-1 :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mortage is with Suntrust now, it was with a small local company who sold it to suntrust. Don't know if suntrust falls under countrywide or not. I haven't tried to undo the escro thing, but I know it was required at least for the first year and I think its required for the duration although they have been really easy to deal with and I think that if I pushed the issue they would let me do as I please.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You make it sound all complicated. Getting a mortgage here is how the young ones would get one. Go to the bank and say "Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money, you bastard" and they give you money. :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lol that would be a lot less hassle although getting the mortage was the easy part - the pita was all the ins company screwups.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
sounds farmiliar.

ive just had it out with my finance company this morning for tripple dipping my account inc late fee charges for each :coocoo
its taken a week & half to sort the shit out(due to there poor customer service EXTREMELY POOR never came across this poor of a service before :confused hang on motor redgistrations go close but at least i got service after 2 hrs of queueing :laugh ) but now got a fat rembersment coming in the next few days :) :rant :rant bloody better be.

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
I have no idea how SF treats you with big claims, but I do know that I have been with them for years. I have no complaints what-so-ever about dealing with them. When I totaled my 2000 TLR they paid it off, gave me money for my gear, asked no questions and DID NOT raise my rates. After one year I started receiving my safe driver discount again. Also, if you have mutiple policies with them you get reduced rates on all the policies. I have auto, Home and Life and no other insurance company can touch the rates I pay. Also, like you said Josh, they have local offices with nice, friendly and knowlegable staff. That means alot to me. I don't have to dial 1-800 whatever and talk to Joe Smuck that does not even know who I am.

·
5,503 Posts
SF is OK on the routine stuff and a decent choice for collision and theft auto and MC insurance. Like I said, I would not insure my house with them and I have reservations about their handling of large uninsured motorist bodily injury claims (where an uninsured motorist injures you and you make a claim against your own policy) with their own insureds. I have simply come across too many separate instances of bad behavior with them on bigger auto and homeowner claims during my near 19 year stretch in the claims business.

Also, don't mistake their agents for State Farm corporate. Agents are independent businesses licensed to sell State Farm. The agents are great and it is a real comfort to have an office with a face in it around the corner, but they are not SF employees and they have nothing to do with claims.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I hate lenders with a passion. Recently I bought a car through my company (for tax purposes). The car is leased in my name but the company pays the payments. I had almost twice the value of the car in cash in my account, and more in assets. I make 3x the cost of the car annually. But because I don't own a home (that's what I'm saving the cash for) I am a "bad credit risk". You have to have a house now to get a decent car.

Translation: we want you to borrow 300 grand to buy a house, we make more that way. They would not stop trying to make me buy a house. No thanks, I'll save for another year and have a big enough deposit to pay the rest off in 4 years instead of 10.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts