TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I picked up a Lindemann Engineering Penske shock kit off Ebay for $200. Its one of their first kits as i believe they use a newer version of the shock itself. The kit was complete w/ all brackets and even a spring already mounted on the "stick"/linkage. My factory damper was toast(bike was pogoing) and i found that the lower damper bolt was missing its head! Was quite a pain to get the damper off, but i managed w/o tearing anything else up. Took me an hour once i had everything out of the way(IE complete tail section).
The spring is BLACK in color and i could not see any markings that would suggest its spring rating. From what i understand, they are color coded as to their specific rate? Anyone happen to know what the BLACK color corresponds to?
Also, can someone point me in the direction of initial settings? I have a dragracing background, but this bike is to stay on the street and what works to help 60' a bike is NOT good on the street. I want it to handle well. From time to time, i get semi-aggressive in the corners but i'm by no means a corner carver. Would like to get a knee down every now and then though.

Thanks for any input/help!

·
Registered
623 Posts
You got a great deal on your purchase!

I have the same setup on my bike but I don't know what spring rates were offered or know much about the shock. (bought used myself)

I have comp damping on the #2 setting right now and the rebound is a bit of a mystery. I think??? it has 25 settings and I just messed with it till I liked the responce I was looking for.

LE did my forks as well and the 2 things together really made a night/day difference.

Anyone have more info?

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Was that US ebay?

Penske factory setting is 1/2" of preload and the rebound and compression adjusted to mid range of each adjuster.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you have a local shop that does racing (ie. club racing/ trackdays) take the bike to them and have them adjust your suspension. Here in md I use MRP motorsports, kenny set mine up nicely and it only cost $40. Lot easier then me fooling with it for days getting it where I thought it was ok. Then you can make minor adjustments to suit your riding style. Worked out kenny's settings suited me niceley on the track.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You might have a suspension shop give it a quick refresh as well - especially since you picked it up for a song. I would suggest sending a pm to dannynever. They could set it up for your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got a great deal on your purchase!

I have the same setup on my bike but I don't know what spring rates were offered or know much about the shock. (bought used myself)

I have comp damping on the #2 setting right now and the rebound is a bit of a mystery. I think??? it has 25 settings and I just messed with it till I liked the responce I was looking for.

LE did my forks as well and the 2 things together really made a night/day difference.

Anyone have more info?
What all did LE do to your forks? How much did it cost???
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was that US ebay?

Penske factory setting is 1/2" of preload and the rebound and compression adjusted to mid range of each adjuster.

Yessir. Was browsing around and ran across it. Had a starting bid of something like $50 and a Buy-it-now of $200. I knew it would'nt last to the auctions end so i used the Buy-it-now.

1/2" from the end of the threads to the spring?

What should rear sag be?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a local shop that does racing (ie. club racing/ trackdays) take the bike to them and have them adjust your suspension. Here in md I use MRP motorsports, kenny set mine up nicely and it only cost $40. Lot easier then me fooling with it for days getting it where I thought it was ok. Then you can make minor adjustments to suit your riding style. Worked out kenny's settings suited me niceley on the track.

There is nothing "local" to me out here in West Texas. Dallas is 3.5 hrs from me though. Might give a looksee as to whats there...

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might have a suspension shop give it a quick refresh as well - especially since you picked it up for a song. I would suggest sending a pm to dannynever. They could set it up for your weight and riding style.

Thanks! I may look into that. Can he setup the front forks as well?

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
1/2" from the end of the threads to the spring?

What should rear sag be?

Thanks for the reply!
1/2" of spring compression. Measure the free length then crank it down until it is 1/2" shorter.

20-30mm for the track, 30-35mm for the street. Find an article and make sure you measure it correctly. A friend or two would make it easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello! I know a little a bout these things.
Set the sag at 30mm rider on. Make sure there is a little free sag, at least 6+mm. bike alone.
The stock red spring was a# 670 lbs spring. I originally made 750 and 800 springs, Seemed everyone liked the 800, so I did not make any more 750. the rate is engraved on the end of the spring, like many spring manufacturers. Unfortunately it is very difficult to remove the spring from the TLS strut to read it. Maybe you can loosen it up enough to see? Either spring is much better then stock. I tried to get a good suspension damper lever ratio without a link, which required a short shock,with a long stroke, hence the compact "sweep" type rebound adjuster. I adjust them in "sweeps" or 1/6th turns, out from full in (max slow rebound) I would start at about 12 to 14 sweeps out . Try running the compression at 4 or 5 to start.
HAVE FUN !

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Lindemann Engineering Race Suspension.
Think Suspension, Think Lindemann
408-371-6151
off topic but any chance of some links for the R :devious

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still can do a few TLR LE/Penske kits. $800 while they last. This shock price is for the TLR LE/Penske kit only. This would have the newer 8983 Penske shock. Original kit had the 8981. I am sort of needing some quick $$ for med bills.
I can also supply a 8987 3-way for $300 extra!

Both knock 5+lbs off the bike, and as you know, was the best working TLR rear suspension.
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts