TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well new to us.

Here's the deal.

I have located a Honda Odyssey, Gold Tan cloth interior very nice like this one.

The wife loves it. It's a 2001 66+ thousand miles for $10,800.00

The problem is the interest on the loan would be 13% because of the age of the vehicle. :crazy

Then we read consumer reports and discover the Honda Odyssey has transmission problems, Honda has increase the warranty to 100,000 miles. The van we are looking at has had a transmission replaced. :eek This means at 120,000 a possibly 3500.00 transmission bill. Not favorable.

Vehicle number two
Mazda MPV 2001 around $8500.00 Black loaded with leather tan interior. Sounds nice but a bit smaller than the Honda.

Finally a maroon Kia Sedona 2003 with 40+ thousand miles for $6000.00 and the interest will be a lot less around 5-6% because of the age of the vehicle.

Here's links to similar vehicles.

Honda

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ategoryZ6258QQihZ011QQitemZ320033818916QQrdZ1

Mazda
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazd...011QQitemZ320033477484QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Kia

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kia-...009QQitemZ190036406825QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

We are leaning towards the Kia. Less money, lower interest. With job uncertainty, it makes better sense to me.

These above links are not the vehicle we are looking at but similar.

I’m had a horrible time with the Ford Windstar and never again. Would prefer a Toyota Sienna but they are still pricey.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know a lot about any of the mini-vans, but the Kia does sound like a good deal. In general Kia's are pretty well made and very japanese like.

good luck with them

BTW I think Duken is a hotshot on the MPV Forums:lol

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
i think kia has the 100,000 mile warranty....and they are cheap.....never drove one, but i know i will never buy another ford!

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife and I love our Eurovan. It's not conventional looking compared to the other mini-vans. Its almost not a mini-van. Tall roofline - good headroom, comfortably seats 7, 20 mpg, low deck, driver sits higher than other mini-vans - good view of the road. Plus, 2nd row bench quick releases and the rear bench pulls out with 4 bolts, then the TLR fits quite nicely in the back. Anything newer than '99 will have the VR6 instead of the Audi 2.5-5 cyl. Just another option.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Aren't the Kia's depreciating much there? Because they do over here and that eventually costs money too. Too bad you have to loan as well..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Get the Kia even with driving 20k miles a year you still have three years on the warrenty and after three years if something breaks you still would have gotten your moneys worth. Ive had a 2000 Hyundai truck for 4 years nothing but minor problems that warrenty took care of. Don't worry about the depreciation or trying to resale just drive it till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
601 Posts
From what I've seen and guessing compared on how Front-wheel drive cars are: They are a bitch to work on and require dealers to do just about everything. Plus, their services are more expensive because they require the engine to be pull for just about everything. But if you're not planning on working on the car yourself, that's not much difference.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I cant say much about the others mate but I've got a Honda Odyssey. Its the full on 4 wheel drive version with rear cabin air conditioning, electric everything and I mean every-everything mate. Its a 2200cc petrol and its a great car. I mean its a very nice drive, comfort levels are great, ride options, low engine noise, 7 seats, or 4 captain chair and a half van back. We've had it 9 months now and I havent found 1 fault with it.

I highlky recomend the Odyssey. After all its a Honda!
Kia? Yuk its korean cheap metal.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the Honda too we love it actually but $10,800 at 13% is a no go.

The Kia is only $6,000 at probably 5-6% and we can use the extra money from the loan to pay off a few CC which will help a lot.

I think we will get the Kia. Newer model, nearly $5000 cheaper. The Kia 2003 only has a 60,000 mile warranty though. They offered the 100,000 mile warranty on the newer models, 2003 does not qualify.

I don't really like the color marroon but Terri likes it and well it will be her van so I'm thinking we will do it.

For $6,000 if it lasts 3 years we will be pleased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 1994 Mazda MPV has 209,000, with only minor electrical gremlins- dome light, headlights come on when you shut off the veh if the highbeams are not on. Replaces exhaust, radiator, brakes (wifey is hard on them though.) I would still have it on the road but the wife was afraid of the high mileage

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the MPV is a good vehicle but the Kia is just so darn cheap. I like the looks of the MPV better as well. It is also a 2001 which means high interest rate.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are going to go ahead and get the Kia. It's NADA is 11,100 and they only want $6000.00 for it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well that does sound like a really good deal:thumbup

·
Registered
534 Posts
IMHO

Kia's are PURE krap..they just fukin fall apart.
First hand experience

Mazda is OWNED by Ford..so that throws them out

HONDA did have tranny problems(i know cuz i have an accord)..but they quickly replaced my tranny and upped it to 100K mile warranty.
I believe they addressed the problem and it won't return.

I'd take the Honda, but for kraps sake get a better interest rate

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Go with the 6K vehicle. Less downside. Worst case scenario it blows up completely and you sell the wreckage for 2K, for a 4K loss. The interest at 13% on the Honda will be more than that after a few years. :laugh

On a serious note, 13% interest is highway robbery. If I could get a guaranteed 13% return, I would put all my money there and take out an equity line to the max of my ability and put it in there too and retire early!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the interest is because of the age of the vehicle. The Kia will be around 6%

We have decided to take a chance on the kia. I hope we don't regret it but for the money we think it's a worth while investment.

On the honda the tranny has been replaced as well and like you said Honda increase the warranty to 100K but I'm still thinking that the Honda would need another tranny at about 120K which would be very displeasing. The main hurdle though is the price and interest rate. :crazy

Anyone know who make the engines and trannies for the Kia Sedona.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Kia I belive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts