TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2000 TLR and it's need need of a lot of work.
I've noticed one problem is that it needs a thermostat. I ordered one and hopefully that helps over heating.

the headlights are not working.
The air flow tensioner knob and wire somehow came unscrewed and I have no idea where to send it back in.
idk if it needs an oil change but the pipes get very hot after less than a minute of running.

Overall this is a new bike for me and a lot of people say it's an enthusiast bike but I'm not mechanically inclined but I definitely don't want to sell it. I just need help..

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Thermostat. if the bike is over heating then the thermostat may not be opening. Does the radiator and coolant hoses going to it get hot when run for a while?

Headlights. Have you check the bulbs first. Is it both high and low beam.?
Have you checked the fuses?
You will need to check the wiring harness block connectors for corrosion?
Does your headlight have an on/off switch on right handlebar?
Have you checked the oil level in the sight glass with the bike upright?
Can you explain what you mean by airflow tensioner knob? Is this the tickover knob. To access the throttle bodies you will need to remove the airbox under the tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't tell if the coolant hoses get hot. I just know the bike got really got and the red light came on and it shut itself down. I looked in the radiator and it was full, I was told itvwas because the coolant wasn't flowing. So I got the thermostat.

I checked the bulbs and nothing works. Checked fuses and they are good. I don't know what a harness block is.

Oil in the sight glass was empty then I just topped it off but didn't do an actual change.

I don't know if that's the right name for the knob. It's on the left side under the tank. I was told it was to adjust airflow or something like that. It changes the idle range?

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
Can't tell if the coolant hoses get hot. I just know the bike got really got and the red light came on and it shut itself down. I looked in the radiator and it was full, I was told itvwas because the coolant wasn't flowing. So I got the thermostat.
While you have it apart to install the thermostat, check for other blockages by flushing water freely through the heads and the water pump.

....... I don't know what a harness block is.
tlsgazza is referring to the large multi-pin gang connectors between the main loom and the front loom and switch pods. Certain terminals in those connectors often oxidize, corrode, and overheat, resulting in poor connections.

DSCN7776 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

DSCN7775 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

There is a yellow connector going to the left hand switchpod, and a black connector going to the right hand switchpod.

Oil in the sight glass was empty then I just topped it off but didn't do an actual change.
How much oil did you add to "top it off?"

I don't know if that's the right name for the knob. It's on the left side under the tank....... It changes the idle range?
That is the idle speed adjustment knob. It threads into a bracket on the throttle body. Turning it clockwise increases the idle speed, as it moves a lever to slightly open the butterflies.

Since you are new at owning a TL, be sure to download the service manual from Steve's site here.
Steve's TL1000S pages

Also download the appropriate wiring diagram from this link.
Full Colour Wiring Diagrams

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While you have it apart to install the thermostat, check for other blockages by flushing water freely through the heads and the water pump.

tlsgazza is referring to the large multi-pin gang connectors between the main loom and the front loom and switch pods. Certain terminals in those connectors often oxidize, corrode, and overheat, resulting in poor connections.

DSCN7776 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

DSCN7775 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

There is a yellow connector going to the left hand switchpod, and a black connector going to the right hand switchpod.

How much oil did you add to "top it off?"

That is the idle speed adjustment knob. It threads into a bracket on the throttle body. Turning it clockwise increases the idle speed, as it moves a lever to slightly open the butterflies.
Can you show me where that screws in?

Also I added about 4 quarts.

I looked in the yellow connector and there is a pin burnt out. I can only assume that's it?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Can you show me where that screws in?
The bracket is part of the throttle cable cam assembly on the front TB. The adjuster has a very fine thread pitch, so be careful not to cross-thread it.

DSCN8298 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Also I added about 4 quarts.
So then, the crankcase was essentially empty. Hopefully, you didn't run it in that condition.

I looked in the yellow connector and there is a pin burnt out. I can only assume that's it?
The terminal that most often burns in the yellow connector is the headlight power line - a yellow/white wire. It can be fixed by bypassing the connector block with a seperate connector for that wire. Ideally, the Headlight Relay Mod should be installed, but you will need to learn a little more about the bike before tackling that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bracket is part of the throttle cable cam assembly on the front TB. The adjuster has a very fine thread pitch, so be careful not to cross-thread it.

DSCN8298 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

So then, the crankcase was essentially empty. Hopefully, you didn't run it in that condition.

The terminal that most often burns in the yellow connector is the headlight power line - a yellow/white wire. It can be fixed by bypassing the connector block with a seperate connector for that wire. Ideally, the Headlight Relay Mod should be installed, but you will need to learn a little more about the bike before tackling that.
I still don't see I need picture where it's supposed to screw back in. I have no idea what that picture is of.

I was told the bike only needs 4 or so quarts so that's all I put in. The spy glass was full after that.

That is in fact the wire that's burnt out. I don't know anything about electrics so how do I fix that?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I still don't see I need picture where it's supposed to screw back in. I have no idea what that picture is of.

I was told the bike only needs 4 or so quarts so that's all I put in. The spy glass was full after that.

That is in fact the wire that's burnt out. I don't know anything about electrics so how do I fix that?
The bike only needs 3.2 litres of oil when doing an oil and filter change, if you added 4 quarts to an engine that has oil already in it there is too much in there. The sight glass from bottom to top is only around a quarter of a litre or just a little more.
You sound like you're definitely not sure of what you are doing. so have a good read of the manual. It will help you understand a little better.
six five has already told you that you can bypass the corroded or burnt out wire. Cutting the wires either side of the block and soldering in another piece of wire with some connectors should do it.
How hot did the display on the dash/clocks say the engine temperature got up to. And did the cooling fans come on at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike only needs 3.2 litres of oil when doing an oil and filter change, if you added 4 quarts to an engine that has oil already in it there is too much in there. The sight glass from bottom to top is only around a quarter of a litre or just a little more.
You sound like you're definitely not sure of what you are doing. so have a good read of the manual. It will help you understand a little better.
six five has already told you that you can bypass the corroded or burnt out wire. Cutting the wires either side of the block and soldering in another piece of wire with some connectors should do it.
How hot did the display on the dash/clocks say the engine temperature got up to. And did the cooling fans come on at all.
The temp got up to 251, but that was only once. The fans did kick on.

I probably just need to do an actual oil change on it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The photo I posted earlier is in fact a side view of the front throttle body from a TLR. The red line is pointing to the bracket where the idle adjustment thumb screw threads into. Of course, the throttle bodies are underneath the airbox, so maybe you haven't explored that far yet. My suggestion, is that you pull up a few YouTube videos on how to synchronize the throttle bodies, then you can see what the parts look like without actually taking your machine apart. That will give you some exposure without the risk of ending up with parts in your hand and you dont know where they go.
Also, as tlsgazza mentioned, read through the manual!

Do you own a multi-meter? If not, you will need one if you want own a TL, or really any motorcycle.
Again, YouTube is handy. There are hundreds of videos on there that show how to use a Multimeter, and how to follow voltages along a current path, and how to repair a broken wire. You will need to learn the basics that way, because it's really too much to get into in these forums.

We are more than willing to help you with your TL, but there are better avenues to learn basic mechanical and electrical practices. Fortunately, the internet makes it rather easy. :)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
TE="Jason31090, post: 1904844, member: 40059"]
Off topic but still on topic. Are these carbed or fuel injected?
[/QUOTE]
The throttle body six five referred to is one of two that are for the fuel injection. Lift your fuel tank and if you can work out how to remove the air filter box you will have access to the throttle bodies. Though I'm suspecting this may be beyond your capabilities tbh. Have you downloaded the manual yet? Let us know if you understand some of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got a 2000 TLR and it's need need of a lot of work.
I've noticed one problem is that it needs a thermostat. I ordered one and hopefully that helps over heating.

the headlights are not working.
The air flow tensioner knob and wire somehow came unscrewed and I have no idea where to send it back in.
idk if it needs an oil change but the pipes get very hot after less than a minute of running.

Overall this is a new bike for me and a lot of people say it's an enthusiast bike but I'm not mechanically inclined but I definitely don't want to sell it. I just need help..
I recently flushed out my radiator and switched to Evan Waterless Coolant, which has many benefits, but the main benefit is that it manages the temperature much better than water based coolants. Watch some videos about it on YouTube, it's amazing technology. Might be a good idea to make the switch since you'll be in there anyway changing out the thermostat. They gave me the discount code NOH2O for 40% off!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The throttle body six five referred to is one of two that are for the fuel injection. Lift your fuel tank and if you can work out how to remove the air filter box you will have access to the throttle bodies. Though I'm suspecting this may be beyond your capabilities tbh. Have you downloaded the manual yet? Let us know if you understand some of it.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Feeeeyooo, I'm exhausted after that conversation.
I'm all for people wanting to work and learn about their bikes etc.
But for your own safety, Jason maybe you should pay a bike mechanic to go right over your bike and give you a list of what needs doing.
It might save you money and your life in the long run!
Once it's rideable you can learn how to keep it maintained 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts