TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is what I have been dealing with I have a poor starter relay, strator a tl problem but if I drive the bike regularly it's not a problem that or I stick it on a jumper box and she fires right up no problem well today went on a ride she started up then went to play a game and locked the bike as you should but when I got back I didn't have any juice in the bike zero lights wouldn't turn on bike wouldn't prime so I figured I made the bone head move of turning the key to far and leaving the lights on...... No go stuck it on the jumper box let it sit then tried again still zero the box didn't even lose any charge it's like the bike battery didn't need anything just wasn't transferring to the bike .... I'm going on a tangent hopefully it makes sense but I have no idea how to problem solve worse part is I had to leave it in the not so great part of town so all night in going to think about it wondering off

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sounds like a simple battery death . A good charged battery should go for ages even without any charge going to it .

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,274 Posts
I'm with Tasi. Could be as simple as a bad battery. How old is it?

So here is what I have been dealing with I have a poor starter relay, strator a tl problem but if I drive the bike regularly it's not a problem that or I stick it on a jumper box and she fires right up no problem ....
On the other hand, if you have a known problem with the starter relay, the connector could be toast. This could also explain the poor performance you are getting from the battery. I'm guessing you don't have the Charging Mod installed, so the OEM wiring does a fine job of keeping the battery undercharged. In doing so, the battery is always weaker than it should be, and its life is also shortened.

You can read up on the Charging Mod here:
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequent-tl-mods/111499-definitive-charging-system-diagnostic-upgrade-thread.html

It is highly recommended, along with the Headlight Relay Mod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to go try it again still nothing no lights on the display no prime very weird. Another thing that was weird to me was that normally if you touch the black jumper to the end you can make a little spark but I would get nothing ( it's not the jumper cables bc I checked). Maybe I go get another battery but I really don't think that's the problem bc when it's on the cables it should steal power from the other source not sure what to do other then find a trailer and have it carried home

It's a 99

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,274 Posts
.... not sure what to do other then find a trailer and have it carried home ...
Sometimes it comes to that. Having it towed may be your safest option.

Have you looked inside the starter relay connector?

Have you looked at the main fuse?

Do you have a voltmeter you can take to the bike to make a few measurements?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
A sufficiently fooked battery can cause all sort of fun. A simple test is to get a known good unit, charge it and record the voltage. The install it into the bike and with everything off the voltage should read the same. If you notice a drop then you probably have a short somewhere. If the bike has an alarm you might see a very small drop but it should be no more than about 0.5V. When the ignition is turned on you would expect to see a further drop, depending on lights, kill switch position and so on but it should never go below 12V unless its cranking.

Also worth noting that the reg/rec units can fail in strange ways. I've had one that was fine until it got warm at which point it started producing all sorts of strange output but it didn't do it consistently. Took a while to track it down.

The original description certainly points to a weak battery though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts