TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to change your oil for the next day's ride...slow down. Saturday night my buddy calls and we plan on a morning ride. I had just replaced the infamous water pump oil/coolant seals and still needed to fill the oil and coolant. I figured I would do the filter while I was at it. Finished late and in a hurry. Saturday morning we head out and just as we got out of a toll booth, we both rolled on pretty quick. I swung left to get the clear inside lane and leaned over to the right while on the gas. When the back of the bike stepped out my first instinct was to keep the gas but roll out of the acceleration a little and let it straighten out. As soon as I got vertical I pulled in the clutch and felt oil blow onto my right leg. My rear view mirrors were just smoke and the back was getting squirrely. I took my foot completely off the rear brake and slowly decelerated onto the left (closest) shoulder. My buddy had already found a shady spot on the other shoulder and after traffic cleared I pushed my baby over and we surveyed the damage. There was oil dripping from both wheels and the lower half of the bike was soaked. Apparently when I removed the old oil filter I didn't notice the gasket still on the bike and proceeded to put on the new filter, double gasket. You know, like a pressure valve. So the lesson here for me is slow down, take your time. This story could have turned out much more exciting for you the reader and much more painful for me. An hour later I had phoned in for backup (Mrs. Apexhitter). She brought the truck and the ramp and we were home in an hour. :coocoo

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have heard of that happening to several people over the years but mostly with cars where you can't see the mating surface very well. I always make sure the mating surface is clean. Gald it turned out ok for you, could have been alot worse.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like it was getting nasty for you real quick. Good reaction. I'm gald you are OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts