TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many post have started with that header?

Well I am happy to keep this forum alive and kicking because I'm a new owner and after digging through years of YouTube Videos and previous forum post my answer seems to elude me.

My 02 1000r has the idle set to low to stay running. It's below 900rpm. The fast idle lever assembly is located near your left knee but according to the previous owner it's not even connected anymore.

Soooo what's the next place to adjust the idle speed is it at the tb assembly? I haven't removed the Airbox yet, everything else, yup but not the base of the airbox...so while I have anyone's attention do I have to disconnect everything inside the airbox to lift it up or just the exterior screws and wire harnesses?
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,619 Posts
Welcome Suthnrboy!

You will need to remove the top of the air box to get to the inside to unbolt the bottom half from the top of the throttle bodies. After that, a couple hoses and sensor connectors, and it should lift up.

The idle adjustment screw that mounts the left frame rail has likely disengaged from the linkage because someone backed it out too far. Once you have access to it, simply thread it into the linkage bracket, and put a little lube on the threads.

The idle adjust lever on the left bar is there for cold starts. When it is working and adjusted properly, it should increase the idle speed from 1200 RPM (set with the screw) to roughly 2500 RPM. It opens the butterflies slightly to allow more air to enter as the "cold map" injects a richer fuel mix until the coolant temp reaches 176F (80C).

After you get all of these basic adjustments figured out, you will still need to check/set the throttle body balance (aka Synchronize the TBs) and check/set the TPS. There is a good video on YouTube for these procedures which you may have already seen.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Strange my cold start idle adjustment seems to be different from what I see on other bikes...as u can see they had this one down by your right knee cap rather than on the handle bar.

It was totally disconnected I removed the airbox and was able to raise the idle to just above 1000rpm and everything seems to be in proper order now.

Back story....
The problem was when I took delivery of the bike it ran great the 1st day then the next ride it started misfiring and not wanting to start when it was hot.
That finally led to starting on 1 cylinder then warming up and running ok for the day, to finally not starting at all....within the first week.

Bike sitting in garage for 3 weeks....

Here I am with a bike that had no expense spared building and it already broke down 😆

i reached out to the previous owner he said right before sending me the bike they had finished installing the Lady Bird Titatium Headers and doing all the mapping n stuff necessary but as a upgrade he tossed in????

2 NGK Iridium Spark Plugs...after searching online it was clear some had issues with these...I even clipped the spark plug wires before pulling them but it wouldn't start.

I took those 2 out put in some CR8Eks and BAM! She fired up like a brand new bike...except it wouldn't run at idle...that now resolved and I'm a happy TL1000r owner tonight!

Factory Spark Plugs +1

Iridium Spark Plugs -1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts