TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

im looking for a simple way to play mp3s from a hd to a stereo.
either an mp3 player that accepts an external usb or a very simple
computer that will play them. open to any suggestions.
this seems like something that should be commercially available but
i havent found anything close.

:pirate

thanks

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
connect you PC soundcard's output to your stereo amp and you've got what you want.
Unless I didn't get it right :O

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
id really like a stand alone set up for my stereo (its in a different
part of the house) and i just got 266 GB of music from a friend.
id like to make this separate from my laptop.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a saintsong Micro PC (espresso model) its about the size of an old betamax tape and is a fully functional PC with built in mousepad, speaker and mike. It was mounted in the car as a incar computer but ive moved on an installed it by the stereo with the little touchscreen on top to control and navigate the music stored on its internal drive and either the networked drive or USB memory stick stuff. Kinda nerdy to be honest but its alreet :D

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
N2 a smart guy like you could make up something to connect the MP3 device too and then dump it into a connector box that has multiple connections which could connect to a sterep AMP via an Aux port.

Patent it, market it, and sell it.

No more working. Wish I was that smart.

Let's see you need some type of processor with software that can talk to the hardware then connect it to the stereo amp.

Okay already over my head.

:cheers

I did some searching and the only thing I see right now are car stereo players.

"Quote from a search"

Pioneer DEH-P90HDD or the Sony MEX-1HD..

"I did it successfully. Just tonight in fact. What I done was take a normal 3.5" Hard drive in a external case. My car's stereo has a USB connector on it. But the only way you can get it to work is you have to format the hard drive to FAT32 file system. Its quick and painless and you can do it though windows or MAC. Leaving the drive in the external case makes life easier since you can just hot-swap from your computer to your car. Once formatted to FAT32, put whatever songs you want on it, have a 100 watt DC/AC inverter in your car, plug in, plug USB in, turn it on, and it should read the disk. "

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a saintsong Micro PC (espresso model) its about the size of an old betamax tape and is a fully functional PC with built in mousepad, speaker and mike. It was mounted in the car as a incar computer but ive moved on an installed it by the stereo with the little touchscreen on top to control and navigate the music stored on its internal drive and either the networked drive or USB memory stick stuff. Kinda nerdy to be honest but its alreet :D

thats what im talking about. looks a bit expensive but uber cool.
maybe i can find an old unit.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
you can get a FM transmiter for an mp3 player that will short wave broad cast your MP3's to an unused channel?! walmart has them from 15-50$

or do you wanna do it with out the use of an MP3 player???

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have my set up like a club would. I use my laptop linked to my amps for my system in my house and work shop. If you have a line in with RCA jacks you can plug it in to a amp for your speakers. That would me the best way to go. Are you going to be using it for parties or just home use.:O

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I use an HP e-pc which is about 10 x10 in x 2 1/2 it runs a p111 886 and 512 mb ram and takes a 3 1/2 hdd I have a 8gig with 60gig mp3 and a 15in lcd sits in the stereo cabine with a miniature keyboard and mouse runs XP . works like atreat. got the e pc of eby for $40 and bought the bigger hdd. the screen is a cast off.
cheers stu

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You can get wifi media centre extenders, but you would need to leave your PC on all the time. Not sure if the original xbox with some media stuff on it does usb hdd? 360 does but sure isn't cheap.

Some of the car stereos that take usb sticks will also take usb hdd if the hdd is formatted with FAT32. Perhaps you can find a normal MP3 player that will too? Can one of the older model PDAs use an external hdd?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Not sure of your question. But, if you have your music on an MP3 player you can get a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end that splits off into two RCA plugs that would plug right into your stereo.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Not sure of your question. But, if you have your music on an MP3 player you can get a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end that splits off into two RCA plugs that would plug right into your stereo.
Sure..that's easy...
But what if you have a hard disk full of MP3s instead of 1 or 2 Gb a player provides?
The question he poses is: How do I connect this hard disk directly to the stereo?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks again guys. i think im going the e-pc route. they are less than $50 on ebay and
ill then have a stand alone 266 gb jukebox on my stereo.

:doug

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
You know that same solution would work for me to play video downloaded from the interweb to my TV. I'm canceling my subscription to Dish Network soon and once I do this I'll only have 21-23 digital channels. I grew up on one channel so I think the kids will be alright. The biggest problem is losing Spongebob and Hannah Montana.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts