TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Threw some heat wrap on my Yosh full system last night... Hoping that it helps it run a bit cooler,
considering that the hot pipe is just aft of the lower radiator I'm thinking that it probably will make a difference...
I'd like to wrap it on the rear cylinder side too, but it's just too tight in there and I don't feel like taking it all
apart just to wrap a pipe that already gets a lot of air flow around it.

I don't see many pics or talk of bikes running heat wrap on exhaust... I wrapped the sections below
the cans quite a while ago mostly for looks but it is a nice benefit being able to touch it with bare hands
even when hot. I don't carry a passenger very often but it's an added safety benefit for a passenger too!

Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Very neat install on the wrap......
BTW your battery is undersized.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very neat install on the wrap......
BTW your battery is undersized.....
Thanks!

Haha yeah I know... I was wondering who would say that first!

It's on loan from my quad for now...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
wrapping pipe is actually supposed to give a performance gain in theory... In theory, the wrap insulates the pipe and reflects heat back into the pipe keeping the exhaust gasses hotter. Hotter gasses flow faster creating a higher draw on the cylinder and producing a better scavenging effect, increasing perfomance.... Or so the theory goes? :O

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say that Theory certainly makes sense... I doubt it will be a power improvement that I will feel,
but I'm really hoping it has an impact in those situations where you are sitting at a light and feeling
like you are in a sauna from all that heat radiating up from the bike... I'm really thinking that it's
gotta make a big cooling difference being that close to a radiator.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd say that Theory certainly makes sense... I doubt it will be a power improvement that I will feel,
but I'm really hoping it has an impact in those situations where you are sitting at a light and feeling
like you are in a sauna from all that heat radiating up from the bike... I'm really thinking that it's
gotta make a big cooling difference being that close to a radiator.
That's why I wrapped mine. Just behind the lower radiator and by the rear shock....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah they definitely make some nice coatings! www.Jet-hot.com
+1. I had them coat a downpipe for my old RX-7 and it worked really well. I've thought about getting it done for the bike but am too cheap. :D

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Only problem I had wehn my TLS had wrapped pipes was the way they would steam when very very wet (riding in the rain with front tire spraying onto heat wrap front pipe, pipe would continue to steam a lot during a stop light).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha yeah they do steam a bit when wet... I usually avoid most of the rain though

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
I had my ceramic coating done at Performance Coatings (Satin Black)

I'd love to see one of you TLR guys with a blue/white bike get the Satin Blue
- That would look really good I think!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
:stupid regarding the rain problem

Also it can make quite a mess to the pipes under the wrap in a short period of time, takes a lot of effort to get to looking pretty again.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
:stupid regarding the rain problem

Also it can make quite a mess to the pipes under the wrap in a short period of time, takes a lot of effort to get to looking pretty again.

Thats if they don't just rust away. Thats my experience with heat wrap but I do ride in the rain all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts