TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to ride the duc monster S4 R of my buddy yesterday :)

It is one of those fully equipped bikes, carbon everywhere, terminioni full system, etc etc...6 times more expensive than my V-rap :) (13.000 EUR 2nd hand)

Well, OK, there's more power. It didn't feel like 30hp more though...should be around 130hp against my 100hp raptor, but it didn't feel that it was in another league.
It's the way it delivers it...it's simply brutal. This is no girlies bike. The clutch is HEAVY, and grabs instantly and brutally, totally the opposite of the TL engines, where you always have a bit of 'rubber-band' feeling because of the backtorque limiter and the rubber cushdrive i think.
It is lumpier than the TL: no riding below 3K...on my raptor i can sit at 1600 RPM, and still be perfectly OK. The TL is much more civilised. The TL has got more revs too, so it is more useable.
The gearing is insanely low, much shorter than my 16/40 raptor. IMO it is over the top. There is just no way you can open up the throttle without fear of 12-oclocking it...

The sound is amazing, but way too loud for me...everytime i opened up the throttle, my ears started to bleed :laugh no way you can ride this thing without earplugs. Once again, like on the hypermotard, i must say i don't like the 'box full of loose bolts' clutch sound. I hate it.

The ergo's are about the same as the rap, only the seat is a bit more wide, but that's it.

Suspension: hmmm, it all feels very crude to be honest. Very hard and unforgiving, but still, from the moment you touch your brakes, the forks dive maybe 10cms...not good. I would have thought this thing would ride better than my budget raptor, but it doesn't. It is very difficult to get confident on this crude and brutal thing.

The brakes are fantastic, nuff said.

And it is simply stunning. :hail :drool

Would i want one? I always thought it would be the ultimate version of my current raptor, but actually, it is over the top. It is an amazing experience to ride one these, but i think it would get tiring very very soon. There's no relaxing on this bike...while i can do that just fine on the little raptor.

I think i'll stick with the rap for a while longer, this thing doesn't feel 100% right for me, though on paper, it is the perfect bike for me.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
The swingarm is well suited to a TLS :devious

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You should give the Tuono a ride, I bet you will like it.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
but it looks the tits :yumyum

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That sure is pretty though:drool

V-rap + JE pistons and cams would make more power and still be cheaper I think:deal

I can't wait for a 1098 monster:drool

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doug: i don't like the looks of the tuono :( i bet it's a hoot to ride though! Next on my wanna ride list is the KTM duke R :devious

...and this is how you **** up a monster S4...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is the swingarm lasse-boy

and i THINK there's such a swingarm in the black SSSA special :devious...i might be mistaken though

·
15,415 Posts
this is the swingarm lasse-boy

and i THINK there's such a swingarm in the black SSSA special :devious...i might be mistaken though
Not yet, but there could be a Mark II (I have the S4R SSSA :devious)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
hell yeah DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT :yes

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid DO IIIIIIIIITTTT!!! :hail

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aaah, Sam's offline now, that means he's on the case!! :laugh :thumbup

:megaphone DO IIIIIITTTTTT!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice. I'm a huge fan of the original air cooled m900. These are nice, but I want the simplicity of the air cooling. Yes, I'd sacrifice power.

C

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
me too :yes

it's really not necessary to be that brutal :) i rode an M900 too a couple of years ago, and that was plenty fun!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
wreckah, you owe it to yourself to take a Tuono for a spin. The looks will kind of grow on you, but once aboard you'll love it. It's everything you wished for your TL, but Suzuki never gave you...aside from the good looks. :laugh Great motor, great handling, fantastic brakes and a comfy seating position. And heck, even my lame ass could loft the front wheel on the thing. Give it a try, I'll bet once in the seat you'll find it's what your looking for.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those 4 valve Ducati motors are a BITCH to maintain. I dread working on my wife's ST4. She had a M900 before that, and it was a peach on the valves.
Sam, that is a beauty of a swinger, but I would hate to see the spacer you'd use to fill the gap that the Duc engine fits into. Now, it would fit the wife's like a treat. Hmmm..... ST4R??
Must. Stop. Now. Argh.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My guess is if Sam makes a spacer it will be an absolute work of art:hail

·
15,415 Posts
The S4R arm clamps the spindle and the spindle pivots in the engine cases, so I will have to do it the hard way, make a jig and weld on a TL Pivot tube. But that will make it an easier conversion and without the need to modify the frame :thumbup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts