TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those members that have had Hairline cracks near the steering stem. How many of you had them sucessfully welded? I am getting conflicting messages, some posts I have read say no problems since, and some frame repairers say I will continually have problems with the frame recracking at the welds. Help!

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
I will tell you as someone who welds... the weld is stronger, but the area around weld... gets weaker from the Thermal stress caused by the welding process.

if you contact Suzuki... you may get a new frame out of it, only problem is that they don't pay to have all your stuff moved to the new frame (significant hours of work, pulling the power plant, swinger, forks, rims and rubber, wireing loom, and moving it to the new frame...

... and they won't just give you the new frame cuz you might just sell it... One of the mods has a 2005 TL1000S because of frame cracks, just can't recall who it is.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...One of the mods has a 2005 TL1000S because of frame cracks, just can't recall who it is.
...correction, ex-mod (for this site anyway)...its horkn...with the 05 TLS frame...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with Rifleman. Welding is not the answer. It crack next to the welding and I have experience of these cracks. Not on a TL but a Z1R.

·
Registered
392 Posts
none here and i do check... part of per trip

every time i ride i check tires lights brakes chain controls frame

cause in a few blocks once on the hi way (I70) i be going 100 hph

please pre trip tire pressure

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
never heard of cracking on the head stock.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
that sucks

G

·
Find a real good welder that can tig Aerospace grade metals and he or she could sort it out. Welder's that are good only use as much heat as it takes to close the gap. And the way aluminum cools it nearly re-temper's itself, I say nearly because it's not exact, but when done properly you should have no problems with the repaired crack.

But it cracked in the first place and could crack elsewhere in the future.

Do you wheelie the bike alot??? I know the answer to this already all TLs/r wheelie alot!

A better question, are you hard on the landings when setting wheelie's down ?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
if you contact Suzuki... you may get a new frame out of it, only problem is that they don't pay to have all your stuff moved to the new frame (significant hours of work, pulling the power plant, swinger, forks, rims and rubber, wireing loom, and moving it to the new frame...
Unless you're in Canada... I didn't pay a dime for my new frame and the labour to rebuild the bike onto it... and I was the second owner!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts