TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - it's been a week now since I lost my dear friend, Porter:

He hasn't been doing well for a little over a month now. Apparently, his spleen has been bleeding in to his abdomen. Last Saturday he collapsed and I rushed him to the only local emergency Vet that was open on Christmas weekend.

He made it through the spleen removal surgery - which ended up being the right decision according to the Vet. If we had taken him home that night he would have bled out in to his abdomen...

And his ultimate demise?? Getting up to greet the doc later that night. Apparently a blood clot dislodged and went straight to his brain. :banghead

I've had him for my entire adult life since he was 8 weeks old. It's amazing how these creatures weave themselves in to our daily lives and routines! :coocoo

Here's to stopping to smell the roses:

You've been a good boy, Porter - I love you buddy!

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Sorry to hear it Jim.
I bought my wife a puppy for Christmas six years ago and he's such a big part of our family.
I know how hard it would be to lose him.
My thought are with you buddy

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, but take heart in the excelent life porter did live and the joy you shared together:cheers porter.

G

·
RIP porter.

we (me + two brothers) had a dog too while we were growing up, and that was by far the best gift our parents ever gave us. He passed away a couple of years back, so i know how you must feel. (I still miss the utterly crazy tailhappiness everytime i get home. :( ) But it is great to remember all the good times though :) :) You know that dog even brought the family closer together too :thumbup

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RIP Porter.

In November my 14 year old cat went through a bunch of treatment for diabetes among other things and it was at that time I realized how much a part of the family animals can become. My condolences for your loss.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. i know how you feel I had quite the scare with my own pup just two days ago. some people say they will not replace thier friend with another but the truth of the matter is a new friend makes the heart heal quicker. be strong and again i'm sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the truth of the matter is a new friend makes the heart heal quicker.
You think? :O

My wife's trying to talk me in to getting another pet too - but it feels too much like cheating right now to even think about it. :confused

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
You have my sympathy Jim. A decision was taken to have my dog put down without me being there some years ago (because they knew what I would have said :rant ), and it took me a long while to get over that :(

You can only take comfort in the good life he had, and rest assured he will never leave your heart ....... why woiuld having another dog be cheating :confused it will never "replace" those bit's of Porter already in your heart - just don't expect it to slot straight into the "old" way of life as if nothings changed ...... :O

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog last night. She was actually my mom's dog, I got her when my mom was killed by a drunk driver in 2002. I thought she'd live forever, she was a 14 yr old lab/greyhound mix.

But last night she started acting real distant and collapsed going up the stairs. I rushed her to the vet, but she went into cardiac arrest arounf 4 this morning.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Give yourself some time and then get another dog. You are a good owner and there are lots of pets who would be lucky to be part of your family.

The thing that is so great about dogs is they only want to bring joy to their owners. It is not "cheating" to get another one. If Porter could speak, he would tell you not to be sad. He had a great life :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jim. Porter was a really cool dog.

Fill the void quick and get another one.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Give yourself some time and then get another dog. You are a good owner and there are lots of pets who would be lucky to be part of your family.

The thing that is so great about dogs is they only want to bring joy to their owners. It is not "cheating" to get another one. If Porter could speak, he would tell you not to be sad. He had a great life :)

Jim, I just saw this thread. Take comfort in knowing Portor would want you to be happy.

·
Registered
612 Posts
it ain't cheatin' jim.

lots of pups need good homes ..you can provide that. Remembering your buddy is important, but so is making a new one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts