TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new toy :) 1/3 the price here than it is in NZ :eek

Now ... I just need to find some lumps of aluminium & learn how to use it :laugh anyone have any good links to DIY info about mini-mills?

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
looks nice :dunno how to use it either but send it too me I'll learn :lol

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Pfunk said:
Nice! I have the Proxxon Bandsaw, good stuff. What did you pay for the drill? Where did you get it?
Drill? Look closer.

Sooo...custom made TL parts from yet another member coming soon? :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
¥39,000 + ¥10,000 for the drill chuck & some clamps, bits etc ... that's what, US$350? That kit #16000 goes for NZ$1200 or something stupid on the NZ Proxxon webpage :eek I got it at my favourite DIY store :D

Once I figure out where to buy billet ... we'll see what we can do ;)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Can you not get it at the same store you bought the mill from? :O

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get 3mm thick plate of up to A4 size, then 10x10mm or 12mm diameter rod or assortments of box section, angled pieces ... but not great big lumps of :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet toy:thumbup

I could help you out if you were in the states, but I haven't a clue for Japan, perhaps check the Acola (sp?) website:O

good luck

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I can help if you find a state side source:devious...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can. A friend of mine used to run a CNC mill making DH MTB parts. He bought his aluminum somewhere in MD, only issue might be a minimum order (I don't know if they have one or not, but he usually bought several thousand dollars worth at a time....

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
BikePilot said:
I'm pretty sure I can. A friend of mine used to run a CNC mill making DH MTB parts. He bought his aluminum somewhere in MD, only issue might be a minimum order (I don't know if they have one or not, but he usually bought several thousand dollars worth at a time....
BP, PM that info...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'll have to e-mail the guy who used to run the CNC shop, he's since quite the business and moved to NC, but he would know where to get aluminum in the area - I'll send him an e-mail and let you know what he says.

I know he used almost exclusively Acola 6061-T6 - bought it in all sorts of shapes/sizes depending on what he was up to. Most often he got big plates of it in quarter and 3/8ths thicknesses.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...sounds good, keep me posted...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aw neato! I'm gonna check out the metal reclamation places around here, & push my company students to give me some bits out of their rubbish bins ... thanks BP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts