TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the fuel filter Mod about a month ago, which requires that you cut up the fuel line, then rig it with clamps to keep it in place. I secured it to the fuel port on the tank as well as could be done, but I just knew it would eventually come off while riding. And of course, when it finally did, it was on a freeway during rush hour :(

I must have told myself a dozen times not to do that mod. Unfortunately I never listen to anyone else, so I'm damn sure not going to listen to myself :bitchslap

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey Josh. When you completed the mod did you flare the end of the filter. If you do that it wont allow the hose to slide off that easy, but it will be difficult to get the hose on but it can be done, just don't flare it too big. The other option is to use lock wire to hold both hose on so they don't slide off each end.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,342 Posts
..... I secured it to the fuel port on the tank as well as could be done, but I just knew it would eventually come off while riding. ......

As often as this mod is done, the failure you encountered is a rare occurrence. At least failures of the type you describe are not often reported. Apparently, it didn't start a fire, so that's good. Still, scary....

More often, installers will not use the proper hose and/or clamps INSIDE the tank, and when the connection fails, fuel pressure is lost, but obviously no fuel is spilled.

Can you post a photo of the failed junction?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Apparently, it didn't start a fire, so that's good. Still, scary.... Can you post a photo of the failed junction?
Fortunately I had also done the fan mod, so the engine wasn't near as hot as it normally would be. I will get a pic up just as soon as I get it apart.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I did the fuel filter Mod about a month ago, which requires that you cut up the fuel line, then rig it with clamps to keep it in place. I secured it to the fuel port on the tank as well as could be done, but I just knew it would eventually come off while riding. And of course, when it finally did, it was on a freeway during rush hour :(

I must have told myself a dozen times not to do that mod. Unfortunately I never listen to anyone else, so I'm damn sure not going to listen to myself :bitchslap

Are you sure you're not a cartoon character that works in a nuclear power station? ................................. :banghead

Reactions: Troy

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you're not a cartoon character that works in a nuclear power station? ................................. :banghead
So you think me daft just because this piece of sh-- bike keeps vibrating itself apart?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Strange. Mine's never vibrated loose in the year since I did mine. You do have Jubilee clips and spanners in Texas don't you? :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
So you think me daft just because this piece of sh-- bike keeps vibrating itself apart?
All these years he's been working on a Harley Shovelhead by mistake.....

Q: Why do harley riders never ride faster than 50mph???
A: Any faster and they can't see where the parts fell off.

Q: Why do harley riders chrome all their parts???
A: It makes them easier to spot on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts

Certainly not daft Josh - that Character is quite clever - it's just that everything seems to happen to him and you, him because he is a cartoon character and you because you were really bad in a past life .............. :laugh

·
Registered
196 Posts
All these years he's been working on a Harley Shovelhead by mistake.....

Q: Why do harley riders never ride faster than 50mph???
A: Any faster and they can't see where the parts fell off.

Q: Why do harley riders chrome all their parts???
A: It makes them easier to spot on the side of the road.
In my past life i worked at a Harley dealership in North California for 2 years and can confirm all the above is totally true...Anyway back to things vibrating off my TL..None (yet)???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts