TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do ???

I'm re-building a TLR, and I have a small drama with the bolts,nuts and screws.

Should I;
Keep the crappy OEM bolts,nuts and screws.
Refurbish them (get them chromed - the ones that haven't been stripped)
Buy new OEM bolts,nuts and screws.
Or buy light weight after market bolts,nuts and screws. (probably not an option due to cost, and availability)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I am in the proceedure of replacing quite a few bolts on my S, I have already spent aprox. $450 and I am no closer than 40% of the bolts I'd really like to replace :banghead

If you want to save some money, compare what solution of the former ones is more economical for you....
I'd suggest you to buy steel items from aftermarket companies... Suzuki would be too expensive.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
build a few streetfighters in me time and i tend to buy
mix bag of stainless bolts/washers/nuts and replace all
showing ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is a bloke on Ebay who regularly offers a mixed bag of tiller nuts n bolts for about 50 bucks. Sorry can't find the listing

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
It the bolt breaking could kill you, use stock or Ti from a well known company. If you buy bolts from a hardware store, you have no idea of the bolt strength. Too much recycled inport crap out there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i do agre with the last comment but then if your using them
for fairing or other parts that are not under stress...
not good idea to replace wheel hub nuts or brake caliper
bolts ect ect....

·
Registered
141 Posts
well. if you gander over at my bike in the pics forum. i took all mine and dipped them in the expensive carb dip at my bro's shop. which stripped them of the ugly green. and blasted the ones that didn't then sent them and had them zinc chromate plated in yellow. it gave them a nice color and contrast with the black frame. and not too blingy. for all my bolts, washers, and nuts was less than 100 bucks. just be forwarned....some stragglers that i sent down came back a little different shade with a little pink in em. from what i understand the strength of the solution and time in it has everything to do with it. i didn't actually talk to the place (brother dropped them off) otherwise i would have stressed the importance of the color i was going for. but it was cheap and looks good. i am not a fan of chrome. and was much less than ti or stainless. (just a note this process can't be done on stainless. and the chrome ones needs stripped first) good luck

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
A lot of you guys don't seem to understand that a large number of the fasteners , particularly the fairing bolts, are Stainless steel stock. The engine bolts are chrome, and the "green" bolts also never corrode. Most of the aftermarket stuff, especially aluminum fasteners are inferior to the stock stuff. I will be glad to take the green bolts from you if you don't want them. :coocoo

·
Registered
141 Posts
just an added note...to my post above the zinc chromate that i had done is the same process as the stock green bolts. it is an anti corrosion coating. that has "self healing" properties. also seen on many other outside use metals. i too agree with doug on his post i just wanted mine perty and i don't have any fairing bolts:)

·
Registered
909 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts