TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suck at Interviews.

I just got back from one and I probably said too much. :banghead

Oh well. That's me take me as I am or do not waste my time because It will not be an ideal fit.

I'm getting excited that Friday is my last day. My job is tossing me a party but I don't want to be a part of it. It's and image thing I think and I would rather not participate. I think they are celebrating the fact I'm leaving. :laugh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...if they were throwing the party due to you leaving, it would be the day after your last:laugh...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Go!!! have some free booze, Play them at there own game.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll be back on my Xbox before too long. I have just relocated all the stuff to the new wall unit dad built. I have a few trim pieces to mount up and we are done. I did have one problem with my new wall unit. The idea was to hide all the wires but the DVD surround sound unit is too freaking long 16 inches not counting the wiring. My shelf was about 2 inches too short. We cut a hole through the back of the cabinet to allow room. This means those wires will not be hidden. I plan to buy another surround sound unit eventually and go back to my standard DVD player so all wires can be hidden, then I’ll have to replace that back again.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
so when do you here about the interview? what was the job?

I'd still go to your "leaving" party, take 'em for what it's worth?

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'll be at the party I suppose it's my last day just a small office thing. I appreciate the individuals whom actually care enough to participate.

I can't wait until Friday 5:00PM.

Next week, next month I'll be hating my decision but right now I know it was best.

The position is a classroom support guru second shift with ITC. Basically fix user errors and hardware if it exist. The benefits are nice "eyecandy" :devious

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Get into the booze and tell them what you really think:laugh
unless you dont wanna burn any bridges.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Go to the party. Then go back to your old office Monday morning too.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Maybe they like you and it is a good place to work. Maybe you just convinced yourself it sucks and they hate you. Do you have any direct feedback as to how you are doing and what they think of you? I am pretty good at developing the "in my head" everyone is out to get me scenario's, but usually can resist acting on it. Sometimes working anywhere, doing anything, just sucks. Sometimes you want to pinch all their heads off because they are all a bunch of jackasses. But usually all that passes and you are left, like me, working for our good friend, direct deposit. I have been hating my job a while, but I love the folks working for me and the work, when we do real work, is great. Managers, corporate types, and company men/women make it difficult. I am in my 25th year of working in the same place. I am staring another 10 or so in the face to retire nicely, probably more like 15. In about 5 years I will be through paying debts and can decide what I want to do. I would like to open a shop. I am working that way now, but it isn't a good idea while I have a kid in college and such. Also I am scared to change somewhat, I have been emplyed since I was 13 or so and never been without a job since, lived in this house since 1984 and worked at the same job for 24+ years.

Give the next one some time, amazing what you can put up with if you have a good life. That is the key to success. Looking forward to being with my family always gets me through the tough stuff. If your job is your life it is hard to have a real life, if you have a real life, that shit at work is just a job, a method to pay bills and buy motorcycle pars.

Whew........good luck Del.:thumbup

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
:bawling

I read that with patriotic music in the back ground...

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
You are left, like me, working for our good friend, direct deposit. I have been hating my job a while, but I love the folks working for me and the work, when we do real work, is great. Managers, corporate types, and company men/women make it difficult. I am in my 25th year of working in the same place.
If your job is your life it is hard to have a real life, if you have a real life, that shit at work is just a job, a method to pay bills and buy motorcycle parts.
:hail I am in a similar boat. I have been with my employer for 19.5 years. 10.5 to go and I have a full pension with health insurance in retirement. I have hung in there and the 401K is nice and fat and getting fatter. I know a lot of pensions are questionable. Mine is not one of them. It has 735 million in funding and interest amounted to 40 million last year while payouts were 27 million. It is self sustaining for perpetuity in other words. I feel like I am the only person in my office who actually reads the reports on our pension and 401K. People are so short sighted.

For now I plan to move to Southwestern CO (Durango area) when I retire and set up my own part time independent adjusting company. I figure that area is a great jumping off point for my MC related travel exploits. Keeping discipline and the eye on the prize for years is finally paying off.

I have shit at my work too, but no way I am letting some asshole get in the way of my completing my "mission", which is to collect a pension for as long as I worked :lol

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had typed my comments, reasons for my decision, etc. I decided it might not be a good idea to post on a public forum. Let's just say they did not suggest I stay.

·
Registered
394 Posts
In the end the right gig will come along.

Be patient and really look at what you want to do. In the end all jobs end up being a drag and just a means to a paycheck.

4 years ago I was working as a residential construction foreman for a profitable and stable company. I was tired of being 25 and feeling 45 so I decided to go back to school and get my degree in Computer Information Systems to get away from working with half-wits and morons.

At the age of 26 I interviewed well at a car dealership for a jack-of-all-trades position dealing with network admin, end-loser support, hardware etc.

I thought I was in hog heaven. Three years later my job has expanded and is starting to bore me. The hours are great (<40/week), pay is stable so I stay.
Job duties are lenient ( i.e. noone knows what I do)

I still have to work with half-wits and morons...:banghead

But I am no longer working in mud up to my knees with half-wit potheads.:devious

On the other hand, my neighbor was a systems admin for a medical company providing hardware and server support. He was in the same boat as most anyone. They offered a fat payout to be laid off and he hasn't worked in 10 months. He is taking his time searching for something that will fulfill him and provide security for the long haul.

In the end all jobs suck. Be patient

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Ya, it is wise not to air your dirty laundry in a public forum.

Good luck with the job hunt and here's hoping that you find something you can stay with. As you know better than most, this whole process is pretty stressful.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Jeez Doug, you been watching my life when you wrote your piece :dowhat barring the timescales, I couldn't have put my situation / feelings better myself. A saying my wife is fed up of hearing (she tells me to move on so often) is "I love the work, and (most of) my colleagues, I just hate the company I work for" :coocoo :laugh :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got another one today. I decided to quit and I start getting interviews. After today, I'll probably won't get anymore because of the stuff in my file. :rant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts