TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my car repaired from being rearended by a local auto body shop. So after getting my car back and they did a really good job with matching the paint and all that, I decided to ask them to quote my bike. I want just one solid color all around and leave the bottom fairing the factory black. The tank would need a very small amount of body work. Apparently some was already done by the PO and its cracking in one spot. So the quote total was $1,960.00.
Now a few things cross my mind when he tells me this.
1. His father (the shop owner) wasn't there and I should have just waited for him.
2. This guy couldn't even do the take off himself he had the painter come out of the booth to tell him what to charge.
3. YOU JUST INSTALLED A NEW TRUNK, BUMPER, EMBLEMS, PAINT & LABOR ON MY CAR FOR $2,080.00.

So... not having had my bike painted before... is this price completely out of control, or is it just me???

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
If they do top notch work, more like $1000. But just because they paint cars does not mean they are good with bikes. They are alot of work and small light parts that blow around when you hit them with the gun. It might have been the go away price.
I paid $125 to have a dumbass do a half-assed job on a tank two years ago, last month I paid $175 to have a real pro do another tank and it looks better than the factory, they only do bikes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Somebody on here was just advertising paint jobs for pretty cheap, way under 1000.00. From the pics he posted of his bike that he painted, it looked pretty darn good. I don't remember who it was, so I guess that isn't much help.
I know an excellant bike painter that I personally know, and he quoted for my old bike, 2 fenders, seat cowling, 1/4 fairing and tank for 600.00. He does impeccable work, and strips out any old putty and redoes it.
I personally wouldn't pay more then 1000.00 for a single color.....paint material prices have sure gone up though!!
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Thank God I do my own paint jobs! :eek:mg

Never costs me any more than $250 to squirt my bikes :devious

:)

:)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I would only use guys who do bikes. Prepping and painting bikes is different from cars. I got a quote for £850 (About $1400) from a top notch bike spray shop for all the plastics, wheels, swingarm and tank in 2 colours plus new sticker set fully laquered on. So that much for a single colour is a tad steep !!

:hail TLR's

·
Registered
976 Posts
Way over priced for a single color spray.When ever we spray a bike we use a couple of guys to do the workin the booth.Like vandriver said parts blow around and hit each other.You need someone to hold parts and another to spray.It takes hours to do a bike right.There are tons of small areas as well as tons of edges that need to be sprayed as well.Good luck finding anther painter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts