TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a trebuchet (treb U shay) for a friend of mine, he left me 58.5 pounds of lead, so I finished the frame, arm and counterweight and thought I would see how she works. You can too if you click here

My beautiful wife, Courtney gets videographer credit. Woo Hoo! I can't wait until we chunk stuff.!

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
There is a guy one town over who holds (or at least did last I knew) the world record for his class.
The thing is massive and they chuck pumpkins at a castle he built in his field.
They break it down and haul to competitions on a flat bed.
http://www.yankeesiege.com/about.html

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Its like a catapult but uses motion to decrease pull force and increase distance kinda sorta. Doug with the weight in the bottom, what would it do with a counter weight on the tip of your handle?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

this one was used to toss a piano. the piano starts under the axle and is tied to the far right end of the trebuchet. the counterweight on the left lifts the piano and the piano is pulled to the right. the counterweight continues counterclockwise and the piano gets sling shot action over the top as the counterweight ends up on the right side

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Doug you're awesome :)

Have a look at any of the current crop of knights in armour movies ... everyone seems to have trebuchets, even the arabs :confused either way - they were way cool. And amazingly powerful ...

EDIT : DOUG HAS PLUMBERS CLEAVAGE! :laugh and the music ... I was expecting a Mad Al polka or something ;) ... is the base going to be mounted to something solid? and you could get away with a long sling on that I think - it seems over powered to me :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Damn Doug, I kept waiting for you to get wacked in the face with that thing. I'm jealous, I've always wanted to build one of those.

This could make track days much more interesting for those on the track. Dodging the flying pumpkins! :laugh

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
nice vid.

nice landscape too. :thumbup

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the plans I based mine on in pdf. The guy made his out of wood and used a coffee can counterweight. The guy I built this for wants to use 200 pound counterweight to throw 5 oz lead balls. They should go about 2000 feet if we get it right :eek I think with the 60 pounds we have it should toss one about 350 feet or so. I still need to finish the arm and the release finger. What fun to build. Really wears my ass out. I have a new drill press though:coocoo couldn't repack that M4 pipe without it. :lol

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Doug, I can't believe you didn't consult with me on this project. I'm a freaking artillery officer for chrissakes! Looks like a ton of fun!!!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Doug, thats awesome!

I saw a show the other day, couple guys made one and charge people money to toss guys into a net. Crazy Brits!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'm sure a TLR could launch a small satellite into orbit :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
She said she could not get the whole thing in there Doug arse was in the way. :laugh

Pretty cool Doug.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts