TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great ride today, best ride since my wreck July '05. Work has had me extremely busy which has allowed my speedy recovery and I'vd been making several small suspension adjustments that have made the bike feel as good as that damn stock shock can get.
Unfortunately someone did not have such a good day on AFH about 18 miles in from the entrance, I can only hope for the best for who ever that is. I headed to ACH and run the tiller well picking up great confidence and being able to see the line again. Damn it's been a while since I've seen it. I really like my tire set up with the Pilot Race medium up front and the Pilot Power 190/50 (190/55 will be out late this year to early next year). Excluding the road construction and the bike tracking the grooves man did the suspension soak up ACH though the back end did wobble somewhat due to the lack of dampening in the stock rear, no worries though.
Here is how good it felt, before I knew it I was at 90 miles on my tank and definately closer to HWY4 than the 210. I was like WTF this is not good why was there no blinking yellow? Then I realized that with the bike rolling in out of the turns the low fuel sensor stayed moist thus no blinky-blinky. I began the track back feeling the rhythm and only when I got behind someone slower did I see the blinking light. Make the pass and no more blink but I know this thing is close to solid and find out when I get to the construction zone, it is solid but I'm on the down hill now. Anyways short story made shorter, I put 2.77 gallons of shells finest in our 2.8 gallon tank. Damn close man and all is great.

Bros I'm not braggin or challenging just telling you today was a great day and this will only get greater.

By the way on my way up ACH I saw a yellow tiller, looking good freind.

:bwtiller :cheers

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Sounds like a good day! Awesome time of year right now in So. Cali.

I had an awesome day at Willow Springs on Friday. Temps in the low 80's & barely a breeze. Sweet day out in the usually very hot & windy high desert. Sign ups were on the lean side & by 2PM about a third of the riders left as they got their money's worth & were beat up. So I rode 3 sessions on my GSXR1000 at a track I have many, many miles on. We only run out there a few times a year so I am usually just a little off when we run out there. The suspension set up was close to perfect & I was laying down some lap times I had never done before, not even on that bike. On the TLS it was mid 130's if I was railing & had a clear track. I was down in the low 130's & the bike was pretty much yawning. That session there were 5 riders on the track & after I got passed one guy it was a clear track all session long.

Not sure what it must be but maybe it's due to riding out on a track every couple of weeks, 2 or 3 days in a row on the same bike. Toward the end of the day I decided to push it hard going into T9, the last turn on that track that is a late apex right hander. It was about 5 laps into a session & the tires were pretty darn hot. I leaned it over but stayed a little harder on the gas as I looked for my apex marker. Bike goes into a 2 wheel drift as I gave it a bit too much body english like I'd have to do to get the TL to turn in at that speed in T9. Must have been a nice sight for whoever was behind me. Yee haw!

We are going to be back out on the big track at Willow Springs on November 6th. This time of year you get either fantastic days or a cold, breezy one depending if a big storm front pushes through. Give yourself an early Christmas gift & get out & ride on that track. Think it is pretty TLR friendly FWIW...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds pretty fast sir

You say we, what group do you run with or is it a gather of freinds? I've been on the big tack once when I had my 10 but that was back in early '05 and I was not comfortable on that beast. Anyhow, where do I find the information about that day your considering?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Fastrack Riders is who I work for. Worked for them since 98'. The link to the website is http://www.fastrackriders.com/ & you can sign up on line. We run a pretty tight ship out there & have little tolerance for squids & riders riding stupid out there. Some don't like that restrictive environment but it makes for a relatively safe day as we weed out the jerks as quick as we can/when they pull stupid moves. Instructors & corner workers are on the look out for passing in zones that are restricted passing zones in the slower groups. We have large stickers with numbers on them to help ID bikes to make this way easy. Level 1 is pretty laid back pace & might not be a bad place to start. However Level 2 usually ends up selling out a week or so before a Willow Springs event. If you feel like you are intermediate material (Level 2) I suggest you sign up for that group & if you want to do a couple of sessions early in the day in the Level 1 group to get up to speed I can help you do that. Not enough TL's out there anymore & that is pretty sad...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good and I have ridden Cal Speedway with Fast Track when I lived in Long Beach. In fact when I bought my wife her R6 in '03 it came with a free track day and with your group was her first track day and my second. Though I have a few days under my belt it has been since early '05 that I've been on the track, Willow was the last track both my wife and I have been on.

Sounds good sir I will visit the site and give it some thought. My goal for this year was to try and get to some race schools in but work has kept me so freaking busy, which I don't mind, but my bike life has suffered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mr. Dobalina....

Were you the guy giving out the instructions at the riders meeting?

Although I was probably the slowest guy in 2, I had a great experience out there ...I didnt feel like the rules were restrictive at all...

Flew up from Hawaii...rode a new gsxr6...first time on the track.

I have to say the speed there is intimidating and I was never able to find the right lines.....the track is really wide!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nope, that was my boss David. I did some tech inspection early in the day, then mostly it was running the pregrid, directing traffic & talking to riders who were doing stupid stuff out there was what I did out there. That was my EZ-Up at the hot pit entrance with my 01' silver & black GSXR1000 parked under it. I started riding in that group 2 in the early afternoon. Yeah, the track is pretty wide but there are a few places you really should be track position wise to go well out there. There are 2 distinct lines you can take through T9 & both are good. If you miss those two apex points you are lost though & will usually drift very wide as you enter the main straight.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willows lines

If I am able to go I will be in group two and have had trouble with T6 entrance because my exit screws up the entrance to T7. I would sure benefit from some tutelage there, but thats NOT saying I've mastered everything else. Sure I am great on the front between the exit of T9 and the entrance to T1, I believe I am pretty damn smooth there:devious :laugh

Anyway if I go I will introduce myself and my B/W tiller.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Like I will miss a TLR or TLS out there! Used to get 4 or 5 yellow & black TLR's during our track days @ Willow Springs in the late 90's. Like the attack of the big ass bumble bees & they tended to run in the same group! Pretty intimidating to the inline 4 crowd & there was no mistaking them.

There are a few lines going into T6. I used to like hugging the inside curbing as you aimed for the hidden apex as you crest the hill. But then a buddy of mine showed me a different line that allows you to get a better drive into T7. Basically you want to turn in later into T6 & aim about 2 feet to the left of the curbing as you crest the hill. That should let you square off the turn a little better & the turn has a little less of a rise there so the front wheel will stay planted a bit better when you crest the hill. Since you square off the turn & the front wheel stays on the ground better you get a better drive out of the turn & can get on the gas harder as you set up for the kink T7. If you aim very close to the inside curbing the front wheel wants to come up or at least unweight a lot & then you have to land the front end as you are aiming for the outside of the track. That's a place you can lose a lot of time as you should be aimed to the right as you get on the gas & grab gears accelerating hard aiming to the high speed T7. If you are aimed to the left you lose all your drive & can't get on the gas until you get the bike pointed in the right direction. If you decide you want to go slower through T6 & still hug the inside in order to be able to get a better drive on the exit other riders will pick you off & go around you on the outside there. They will get a better drive as they are carrying more speed & since they are squaring off the turn they aimed in the right direction. Then they just take off on you. Cya.

Should be fun out there. I am running my 01' silver/black GSXR1000 as my regular track bike now & will be at tech in the AM & then running pregrid as the day progresses...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts