TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back...... owner of a black TLS. That I picked up for just over a grand :) but needs TLC. It has literally been left outside for years with no use.

The following:-

Body work is going to get a re spray in black as the bike has been dropped, scraps and cracks tanks is dented but I have a new one in a box.

Wheels Currently gold and look horrible and need re powder coating going to get them in black also.

Every single bolt is rusted so I shall get a bolt kit which is easy enough, new clip ons, new mirrors, new seat as its torn even new clocks as they are scratched to ****.

A few of the engine cases need re doing in black, age I guess.

I am after a under belly as well as I like the look.

Suspension.... this is were I want to spend as we all know the TL is shit for handling. The bloke said he done a R1 shock conversion and the shock looks like its seen better days so a service or replacement is a must. There is a place near me that deals in Wilbur products. I was thinking steering damper and fork internals or some sort of cartridge kit for the forks. Also get the top sprayed black also.

So... Any ideas from fellow members

£1000 to spend....go

bike.jpg

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
not even going to scratch the surface with a grand.........

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Oh I don't know.... £300 for a hagon shock replacement, £40 for a stir-fry steering damper, what's the going rate for powder-coating wheels around Brum these days? Probably want to clean the pipes up a bit which could be a little or a lot depending on how you get it done. IIRC I ended up spending a couple of hundred by the time I'd had the sand-cleaning, the electro and mechanical polishing done when I did my exhausts. End of the day day a grand is optimistic but then so is just about everything about TLs. It's why we love 'em.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like you've plenty to be going at there Rob, but if its straight and runs okay I think you've done okay. I think I've a set of S down pipes taking up space in my garage, there's no rust on em and would clean up easily. You can have em for the postage if you want?

Cheers, Bob

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Here is a deal for you..........

I'll give you a Ohlins rear damper including fittings, a set of black on black 03/04 GXSR1000 radial forks with required spacers and a think I have a busa front axle as well somewhere................... and a GXSR front mudguard in pearl novelty black hiding somewhere.
A set of 4 pad gold tokico radial calipers and a Nissin radial front master ( it has a gold lever atm which I want back )

You give me £1000 and your R1 damper and fittings, your forks, front brakes, front mudguard and master cylinder and front axle.

I also have a black Skidmarx belly pan (somewhere), matching gold rear brake caliper, black undertray, a Rifleman clear clutch cover, several sets of clocks with various mileages, Yoshimura exhaust stuff & possibly other shit you could be interested in.............

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Here is a deal for you..........

I'll give you a Ohlins rear damper including fittings, a set of black on black 03/04 GXSR1000 radial forks with required spacers and a think I have a busa front axle as well somewhere................... and a GXSR front mudguard in pearl novelty black hiding somewhere.
A set of 4 pad gold tokico radial calipers and a Nissin radial front master ( it has a gold lever atm which I want back )

You give me £1000 and your R1 damper and fittings, your forks, front brakes, front mudguard and master cylinder and front axle.
I also have a black Skidmarx belly pan (somewhere), matching gold rear brake caliper, black undertray, a Rifleman clear clutch cover, several sets of clocks with various mileages, Yoshimura exhaust stuff & possibly other shit you could be interested in.............
That's about the best deal you will find on Earth...

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Got your PM..................

Not this weekend, I could sort something next Saturday, 2nd March. If you come to my workshop and help as well.
Arrive around 10am, should be do-able in 4 hours or so. (Including bullshit and tall stories). As for free fitting - well I am sure we can work something out.

Powder coat for free? ............... ummm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes my mates family have a massive factory where they do a lot of metal work and have a powder coating bay. He done my wheels last time.

You keep your brakes as mine have been rebuilt im not a big fan of gold TBH.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Your brakes will not fit the GSXR radial forks, you can enamel coat them or buy a black / grey set from ebay.................. I think these may fit - no guarantee though..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR1000-GSXR-1000-05-06-K5-K6-ORIGINAL-TOKICO-RADIAL-BRAKE-CALIPERS/153364729305?hash=item23b5400dd9:g:160AAOSwgfRcWGYL
Ted,

You have the Gold ones (same as I have on my bike) which are considered the "short" version. The ones you sent in eBay appear to the "long", so the spacer that fits between the brake and fork leg is not the correct length...

These are the Grey Tokicos with the "short" boss:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR600RR-5-2005-PAIR-ORIGINAL-TOKICO-RADIAL-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS/263992662063?hash=item3d7730582f:g:DHkAAOSwyulbxdJ6:rk:3:pf:0

These versions should fit. (Not that you care... :laugh )

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
of course I care :)

Though if I wanted black I would strip and enamel my gold ones....................... but that would preclude Rob riding in and riding out .................................. unless he did that, or replaced them when he got home..

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Those 4 pad tokicos are quite coveted these days, if memory serves they were only issued on a single year GSXR1000 due to them being rather extreme for most road riders, but can be found as the preference for hillclimbers and track riders due to their impressive performance... I think Sam runs them on his hillclimber :thumbup

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
of course I care :)

Though if I wanted black I would strip and enamel my gold ones....................... but that would preclude Rob riding in and riding out .................................. unless he did that, or replaced them when he got home..
That was my point (for Rob)... You bought the kit that fit those (SEXY ASS) calipers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was my point (for Rob)... You bought the kit that fit those (SEXY ASS) calipers.
yes the wheels on it do look tatty guess its just due to age. For my free powder coating I think I am restricted to black or white anyway

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Got your PM Rob....................

Drop me a line when you decide - cheers mate.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Those 4 pad tokicos are quite coveted these days, if memory serves they were only issued on a single year GSXR1000 due to them being rather extreme for most road riders, but can be found as the preference for hillclimbers and track riders due to their impressive performance... I think Sam runs them on his hillclimber :thumbup
GSXR K3 calipers were the only year to use the 4 pad system as they were deemed too strong for most road riders. From 2004 onwards they used the industry standard 2 pads per caliper. As stated in an interview in 2016 they were the calipers being used by Sam's on his hillclimber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts