TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time working on a bike. Tl1000R. I made a simple fix more work for myself. I attempted to make new thread for bigger bolt on gasket, I went thru the damn gas tank 馃が. Am I just digging myself into a deeper while or is there a way to fix this

Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
You could attach a bolt from the inside of the tank so that it becomes a stud on the outside. Then you could attach the pump plate to the tank as normal except for that one location where you would instead use a nut on the stud. Be sure the new bolt is long enough to reach through the fuel tank, the pump gasket, and the pump plate, with enough left over to attach a washer & nut.

Of course, creating a fuel tight bond around the bolt is the trick. Unless you are experienced at brazing/welding fuel tanks, I'm sure you want to avoid doing that yourself.

Option 1: find someone who can braze the hole closed and attach the new stud at the same time.

Option 2: There are epoxies available that are able to withstand the fuel and are strong enough to hold the bolt. Just need to do some googling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could attach a bolt from the inside of the tank so that it becomes a stud on the outside. Then you could attach the pump plate to the tank as normal except for that one location where you would instead use a nut on the stud. Be sure the new bolt is long enough to reach through the fuel tank, the pump gasket, and the pump plate, with enough left over to attach a washer & nut.

Of course, creating a fuel tight bond around the bolt is the trick. Unless you are experienced at brazing/welding fuel tanks, I'm sure you want to avoid doing that yourself.

Option 1: find someone who can braze the hole closed and attach the new stud at the same time.

Option 2: There are epoxies available that are able to withstand the fuel and are strong enough to hold the bolt. Just need to do some googling.

Permatex gasket fuel resistance seal or Suzuki bond.. is that what you鈥檙e referring to?

Registered
Permatex gasket fuel resistance seal or Suzuki bond.. is that what you鈥檙e referring to?
No. Those two are much too flexible to keep the stud in place.

I was thinking of something along the lines of JB Weld, but I don't know if it will tolerate the fuel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. Those two are much too flexible to keep the stud in place.

I was thinking of something along the lines of JB Weld, but I don't know if it will tolerate the fuel.
I got a bigger bolt and it fits perfect.
seen a guy post in this pagesaying that鈥檚 what he used & it worked 馃し馃従鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I got a bigger bolt and it fits perfect.
seen a guy post in this pagesaying that鈥檚 what he used & it worked 馃し馃従鈥嶁檪锔
Please post a link to that comment if you can.
AFAIK, Suzuki Bond will not tolerate fuel.

Whatever you use, it needs to be FUEL PROOF, not just fuel resistant.
This sealer/epoxy will be sumerged in fuel 24/7, and it is not a failure you want to occur again. Whether the bike is running or parked, a substantial fuel leak is a safety hazard.

If it were mine, I would have the stud and hole brazed, or use Caswell epoxy to lock it in place and seal the hole.
Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - All Sizes & Colors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts