TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have heard of Hyosung before and from what I have read they use Suzuki SV650 engines. Well in my cycle world magazine (one with 07 R1 on the cover) I see they have an add for their new GT 650 R. It is pretty slick looking and from what I remember the last version was less then 5 grand!

It has fully adjustable front forks, Projector headlights and a 2 year warranty, plus the back end looks like like the TLS, plus I think it is fuel injected. This might be a great little commuter bike.

I read an article about the earlier version of the round headlight version and it ran fantastic.

Has anyone here had any experience with this bike and if so what are you opinions?

One other thing, they make a 650 lookalike of the V-rod, and they did make a 1000 version of the v-rod. Both engines are suzuki 90 degree v-twins.

Any input would be great!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
They make their own motors. The suspension on the Hyosung's are crap compared to the SV. Maybe they've gotten better, but I read last year's model was not up to the standard of the SV. The motor must be good cuz Dan Fischer is using it in his MRX 650. See

www.fischer1.com

The price difference is only about $350 anyway for the naked version compared to the naked SV.

On the cruiser side of things, I think you may be referring to the manufacturer UM. I think they are separate from Hyosung.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am, but it is listed as a Hyosung in 2005 and 2003.

Hrm must be the article I read was wrong, the internet sucks sometimes due to crappy info. But what it did say is that they purchased the engines and trannys due to high R&D costs to create their own.

Hrm, have to do smoe more digging.

Thanks for the info though!

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
From what I hear they are very cheaply made, shit quality.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:stupid

haven't riden one, but have heard they are just a cheap "generic" SV

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks cheap, but for a starter bike it wouldne be bad. I wonder how reliable the driveline is. They do have a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The yellow one in the second pic is the 250, I believe. Air cooled v-twin w/a GS500-style frame. Very 80's in its technology.

Again, I think their motors are pretty good from what I hear. it's the rest of the bike i wonder about.:confused

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you there!!!!

Looks very 80s, but when you look at the frame of the R version and the naked version with the 650, it looks to be pretty stout. Reminds me of how I think the Falco looks with the twin frame rails running side by side.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
They will inevitably get better. Hyundai was complete shit at first and now they are putting out some decent cars. You didn't want to be a Hyundai pioneer and I doubt you want to be a Hyosung pioneer either.

It is a pity Dan Fischer could not have scored SV650/1000 engines for his new bike.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
well it looks ok...I see these things everyday where i am right now, Koreans make their own CBRs, R1s, Gixxers and of course Ninjas ( they look horrible )...Anyone who ever been to Korea will confirm it...Everything is fake as hell, cheaply made, good luck returning anything or getting exchanged...I wouldn't recommend HYUSONG or however its spelled to ANYONE, even my worst enemy cause Korean vehicle products are borderline dangerous...

·
Registered
790 Posts
hmmm so far I've enjoyed my '03 Hyundai Tiburon GT 6spd from Korea. :O

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
hmmm so far I've enjoyed my '03 Hyundai Tiburon GT 6spd from Korea. :O
Korean cars that are made in US are not the same thing that are made here...Its night to day difference...I will take some pics if you want me to and show you some of the "creations" that Koreans can belt out...

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
From what I hear they are very cheaply made, shit quality.
:stupid

I've spoken to a few guys who bought these bikes, and they regret it. Gutless (even for a 250/650) and handles badly.

:O

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Guys, I've had a sit on all the versions they put out but haven't blagged a "test" ride yet, but it would only be out of curiosity!! Budget bike, budget running-gear so read into it what you want! They look far better than they are, if that makes sense to you :confused

·
Registered
790 Posts
Korean cars that are made in US are not the same thing that are made here...Its night to day difference...I will take some pics if you want me to and show you some of the "creations" that Koreans can belt out...
Actually on the VIN tag inside my door it says "Manufactured In Korea". However I understand and mostly agree with the point you're making.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts