TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time on the zone and I never thought I'd have this problem but I was ridin my TL when it lost power and I attempted to get home on it.I think the motor then locked up as it cut off and the rear tire stopped.Lucky for me,I was well under 100mph.The right exhaust blew off about 2 months ago and 2 days ago I removed the left exhaust.It runs on Mobil 20w50 synthetic and has 22,ooo mi.Now the motor won't start,I can hear the fuel pump running and the starter clicks.I don't know any mechanics I trust and don't have many tools(I'm female)

·
Moderator,
8,230 Posts
When the motor stalls on the TL the rear tire will lock up. It's just the nature of the beast. You may or may not have a major problem. The best thing to do if you think it's locked up is to remove the spark plugs (so you won't be fighting compression during the next step) and the small screw out plug on the stator cover. Under the cover is a bolt you can put a socket on. Put a socket on it and use a ratchet to try to turn the motor. If it won't turn you probably have a real problem. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
When it lost power, did you start hearing a knocking sound or felt some strange vibration coming from the motor?

The symptoms you describe lead clearly to rod bearing failure, meaning you will have to strip the motor down to fix it.

Of course, if you can, do what 1crock told you to check if it's locked up already....

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Left

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Its the only side with a plug you can remove:doh:laugh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to hand turn the the bolt with a socket and it wouldn't turn at all.Then drained the oil and checked thru it with magnet searching for any metal but it was clean.So what do I do next?

·
Moderator,
8,230 Posts
Put a rachet on the socket and see if it will turn.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
OK no metal in oil
starter click
motor won't turn.
check the starter is not seized
the starter clutch has not let go and seized.

J

·
0 Posts
You could remove the starter motor, it's at front of the engine. round tubular thingie.

remove the battery cables first, just to be safe.

I think you should be then able to turn the engine with a socket. you can also check can you turn the starter motor axl with a hand.

it's possible the engine has dropped a valve, that would cause the engine to seize and not to have metal in oil.

usually if TL engine seizes crank bearings from speed, it doesn't lock up, it first knocks as the bearing clearance comes excessive. and usually runs for a good while before complete lock. and it has lot of metal in the oil.

also it's possible the transmission has locked up. you could try to keep the clutch in and turn the engine that way. But I quess you have already tried that, because TL needs to have the clutch pulled when you start....

·
Registered
143 Posts
am having the same problem. before my engine locked up on me it was sounding real loud, it was backfiring, and it wouldnt stay on if i let go off the throttle. when it started happening i tryed to get home, so as i was aproching the light the bike shuts off so i tryed starting it with the clutch. i will continue to read this thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the side cover off and am looking for socket to turn the big bolt.I guess it is attached to crankshaft.But if a valve dropped will it stop the motor from turning?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It could as it would get squashed between the piston and head.

Also, did you take the spark plugs out? The motor will be quite hard to turn with them in. Another thing, probably obvious but just in case not - put the bike in neutral so it doesn't roll around when you try to turn the motor over. You can also try turning the motor by taking the plugs out, put the bike in gear (6th will make it easiest) and rotate the rear wheel by hand. Whatever method you chose, don't put a huge amount of force into turning the motor over, it should turn fairly easily with the plugs out. If it doesn't, forcing things will only make repairs more expensive.

Now what's this about exhaust blowing off:dowhat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes,I have the plugs out.When I tried rolling it to start it,I put it in like 5th gear and it didn't turn over.The wheel was locked still.I won't try hard to turn the bolt.I have pretty much assumed I'll have to remove the motor to fix it.I'm doing it myself.I ordered a service manual today and bought a basic tool set.Good thing it's fall and I have a back-up bike.It's not as much fun as the TL though.The right exhaust "blew"off about 2 months ago while my daughter's boyfriend was riding it.It was lost.I took off the left about 2 days before the motor locked up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me, but i checked ti see if my engine was seized and it wasnt, i checked the battery, and its fine, its pumping fuel and everythijg checks out but it lacks to crank or sometimes it doesnt even cranknit just clicks, i havent chexked the starter, im hopinh its that, if not idk what to do ither than to buy a new motor or a rebuild kit!!! BLAHHH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts