TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, i want to get some wave rotors but i dont like the black in the centre, how do flaoting rotors come apart so i can chrome the middle of them?

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Most aftermarket rotors have buttons that are held together with circlips, but becareful with chrome, its will take up the extra space that is there to allow the rotors to float around the buttons.

·
Registered
871 Posts
heard it could be a pain the arss. some say mask it off and paint it?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
that could be very dangerous, i would chrome the whole thing and chip away the other part or let the brake pads wear it off....but chromeing will take away some of the structural integrity of the rotors

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I powder coated my EBC's brake carriers about 6 months ago. Remove the c-clip off the back (prying using a couple of very, very small screwdrivers) & remove the washer & button assembly. The little groove the button slides into needs to be not coated or plated. I had the powdercoaters use their special heat resistant tape for those areas on the brake carrier. Reinstalling the clips is a bit tough until you do a few of them then it is all a matter of technique. Don't expect not to scrape up the back of the first carrier when you re-install the first couple of clips on the buttons. You will probably end up practicing your cussing technique in the process as well.

The EBC carriers were originally anodized blue which faded quickly. Black is much better for many reasons including heat dissipation & it blends in with the brake dust that will eventually settle there. That's why I opted for that color. Here is a shot after the powder coating & reassembly:

·
Registered
99 Posts
i forgot which brand either braking wave or galfer's have it were you can buy the wave rotors with the carriers polished or chromed. Can't remember off the top of my head though

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01PurdueTLR said:
i forgot which brand either braking wave or galfer's have it were you can buy the wave rotors with the carriers polished or chromed. Can't remember off the top of my head though
yeh found em, galfer make them.

ill be getting these. US $315 for the set.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I don't know now anymore...but I have the original Braking wave (get it...like a surfer likes a "breaking wave LOL) which don't have those weird slots. Galfer started that new style with the slots intead of holes.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
For stock rotors I grind off the original rivet buttons, then buy new buttons and spirolocks and shim washers from PM (Performance Machine, the Harley brake guys).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts