TLZone Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great How To TlrJunkie! Helped me a great deal, only problem I had was that I only had 3 dust seals fitted:dowhat so the pistons were a bit of a mess! Why the hell would someone not fit dust seals? Or do you reckon they were not fitted correctly and 'fell' out??

Rich

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Great How To TlrJunkie! Helped me a great deal, only problem I had was that I only had 3 dust seals fitted:dowhat so the pistons were a bit of a mess! Why the hell would someone not fit dust seals? Or do you reckon they were not fitted correctly and 'fell' out??

Rich

the chances are they probably left them out to let the pistons move!!

its the dust seals that gather shit behind them and corrosion occurs which pushes the seal against the piston stopping it moving

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
the chances are they probably left them out to let the pistons move!!

its the dust seals that gather shit behind them and corrosion occurs which pushes the seal against the piston stopping it moving
This :)

Leaving the dust seals out is probably OK for a trackbike, but it's not something I'd ever do on a road bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great post and good detailed pics. I'm going to post a new thread regarding the bleeding of the 6 pot Tokico's as I think I've found some valuable tips to getting a solid lever! ......... Standby! H1

·
Registered
16 Posts
This :)

Leaving the dust seals out is probably OK for a trackbike, but it's not something I'd ever do on a road bike.
I'v ridden around for years without them in all weather conditions on both my TLR and my GSXR before that, my previous mechanic advised me to leave them out, never had a problem braking before.
In fact after rebuilding the calipers a couple weeks back as part of my restoration i found that the pistons didn't move as they should (post rebuilding) so i took the (new) dust seals out and they moved much more freely afterwards. I'm never putting the dust seals in again...

41 - 46 of 46 Posts