TLZone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have found that the standard lights on the TLS are not the best and was looking to upgrade them with HID when i came across these :devious

You can purchase these from a guy in the UK called Amir his number is 07508024412 and he has said that if you say you are from the TL Zone he will let you have the whole set-up for a bargin price of £150 plus £10 postage (in the UK, for other places people need to contact Amir) instead of the current price of £185 plus the postage, thank you Amir:hail. So get in touch with him as these are fantastic and make the job almost a plug and play, you would be :coocoo if you dont and want cool, bright lights which really give the bike a modern look. They also come with a range of colour Halo's such-as white, blue, red, green and lilac, your choice and are H4 so will plug straight into your exsisting wiring.
So on to how to fit them on your bike, well the first thing you need to do is remove your standard headlight from your bike then remove the side-light and bulbs including the clip that holds the bulbs in place.
To split the headlamp you can use a heat gun or hair-drier and heat up the join around the headlamp. The glue holding this together will go soft like chewing gum and you will be able to pull it apart using your hands and a bit of help from a flat screwdriver.

Now as you look at the front of the headlight you will notice a black line going around the lens, you will need to cut out the lens using this as a guide as you want to keep as much of the lip as possible, i used a dremmel and kept to the inside of this black line.
Once you have cut out the old lens sand the lip left so that its nice and clean.

What you need to do now is sand down the new clear lens so that the lens fits onto the lip but leaves a 1/16th inch gap around the outside as this is where you will put the sealant to stick it back on.
Once you are happy with the fit, put the lens in position and place a strip of masking tape on both sides of the lens to hold it in position. Now using a sealant gun and black sealant use the nossle at its smallest and put a line of black sealant in between the tape top and bottom around the 1/16th gap left on the edge of the lens and make it a nice smooth finish, i used my finger dipping it in a bit of warm water.

Once this has set you can remove the tape and continue putting sealant around the lens the same as before.
I then put sealant on the inside of the lens using the same method which leaves a nice black thin line around the inside of the lens and covering the lip.

Now if you want to spray the reflectors remove them by unscrewing the adjuster screws on the back of the headlamp, once out you can spray them what-ever colour floats your boat, i did mine in Satin Black.
In between where the reflectors go i also fitted some real carbon fiber and used small allen key bolts to give it a nice finish.

Once the reflectors are dry you can re-install them and then fit the projectors. To do this, un-screw the back of the projector and remove the washers, flange and bulb carefully, remembering the order that you took them off. Place the projectors into the reflectors then re-assemble the bulb etc noticing that the projectors have a small label stating which is top and the first flange fits into the 3 recesses on the reflectors.

Now all thats left to do is fit the two parts of your headlamp together by placing some more black sealant in between the join and heating it up as before and press them together......

headlight done :)
The HID is very simple to fit to the bike and i have added pics to show where i put the Ballasts.

They are out of the way here and the side fairing is able to fit nicely over them. All the wires are plug and play apart from the two positive wires which go to the battery, the two earths and the two wires that control the Halo's. These join the existing wires for the standard side-light.

What i did find was 2 of the H4 plug wires on the bike needed to be moved. As you look at the plug as if it was fitted to the bulb it looks like a n shape, the green/black wire on the left needs to be changed with the black/white wire which is in the middle top. Once everything is fitted you will have your Halo's working on side-light, low beam with your lights on, high beam and the flash switch.

The relay boxes i fitted to the inside of the front fairings with velcro and a screw.
All thats left to do is adjust the projectors as you would with normal bulbs to get the correct height/angle for the beam. Im waiting for some white Halo's to arrive so can't post a pic of it completed with screen, fairings etc on the bike yet will add later but you can see the results. Hope this helps you if you decide to do this mod and if you need any advice pm me :thumbup

Added info:
Do not use the euro light as it is a completly different design to the UK/US version. It only has one reflector in it and is has H1 connector and this kit comes with the H4 connectors. I have re-installed the wiring on mine as i found that the black relays were getting to wet where i had put them, well this is the UK , so i have managed to move them in a much better place. If you lift the tank up the relays will fit on each side of the airbox and the wiring goes through the front of the frame where there is a gap in the frame. I placed the plug and play wires of the ballasts through the frame where the throttle cable etc goes but still kept the ballasts where i put them before but i have now got slimline ballast which you can get of Amir, the guy who supplies the kit. These are fantastic, very small and most definately better than the original ballasts i used. As for the amount of loom, i cut down the two wires that go to the battery as they are quite long especially one of them for some reason and the other wires from the projectors to the relays fit on top of the air tubes under the fairings. One last addition i did was to put in a relay for the halos as i have found that the bike loom was not giving them enough power, with a relay in place this has sorted the problem. Hope this makes sense and if not just ask me.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Excellent write up :pirate What is the depth of light and overall illumination like in comparison to stock (dipped and high beams) :O

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Clear and concise, great write-up Alex :hail

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Great mod/write up Alex:hail May look into this mod at some point over the winter:devious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.