TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drillstud5.jpg drillstud6.jpg I found another way of drilling out snapped studs. Use a 12.5mm drill bit or ally round bar. Drill a hole of 6.5-7mm to tap it to 8mm, to a depth of 15mm max. Then drill a further 6mm pilot hole through to a depth of around 75mm and cut off to leave a extractor of around 70-75mm long. Put two flats on the 6mm hole end to accept a 10mm spanner. Tighten the 8mm end onto the broken stud with the spanner. Now you can drill straight through the stud in the centre. Then either drill carefully bigger or pick out the threads. Hope the pics work and are more self explanatery than my description. drillstud1.jpg drillstud2.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Troy

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, went wrong with pics above. try again. drillstud1.jpg drillstud2.jpg drillstud3.jpg drillstud5.jpg

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drillstud17.jpg drillstud18.jpg drillstud19.jpg

Ring-in or Sam could describe this better or make some for us ham fisted members:devious

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Well done Cham, well described :thumbup

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
thats better than the idea I had for a pilot to fit over the stud boss.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks lads but i cant take the credit, good idea though. Our Karl snapped 6 out of 8 of his studs and cost him £150+ to have them drilled and tapped out again. Wish i had found this idea before he paid to have them drilled.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks lads but i cant take the credit, good idea though. Our Karl snapped 6 out of 8 of his studs and cost him £150+ to have them drilled and tapped out again. Wish i had found this idea before he paid to have them drilled.
so you never thought of it then ? damn im not so impressed now lol

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good idea!
Mine broke of flush.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Thankyou soo much:hail

I snapped one front exhaust bolt on my TLR project bike, and have been dreading the job ever since.....until now.

Just need somebody to whip one up for me sometime in the new year:devious I haven't used a lathe since fourth form metalwork - 1984:dowhat

Reactions: cham

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Ahh shit. Just had a look at mine; it has snapped off all but flush. might get 1/2 a turn using this gadget, but would that be enough???

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
if its like it is jimmy

then I suggest you get it welded to get it out.

get a large nut and waher that just fits ofer the broken stud

place the washer in place and put the nut over the stud

lean in with a stick or mig and weld the tip of the stud to the inside of the nut.

fill up the nut with weld.

let it cool

the intense heat shocks the ali and loosens the stud.

the nut allows you to unscrew the stud.

if the nut breaks off then go again till you get it.

Reactions: TLJimmy

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Thanks Stu. Can always rely on you to come up with something:)

Merry xmas mate:cheers

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Those are all ways to avoid tanking the head off. But IMHO any way you can use EDM is hard to beat. Cuts steel like butter in slow motion if you just have the patience.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
EDM is the ultimate solution :thumbup

I used to remove studs on a daily basis when I had my engine shop.

the welder is the ideal device because it loosens the stud as part of the process.

1600 beetle heads were my nemesis tho.

i just used the run the ali burr down the side of the boss, punch out the stud sideways , clean the cavity and weld it all solid.

redrill and tap and install stainless studs.

I actually pity guys who work on outboards, must be an absolute nightmare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts