TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to do two threads because I figured these were somewhat tied together, bear with me...

#1) The other night was the first time I was around a similar motor which was in a SV1000 with 4k miles on it. Damn tach needle sat perfectly still at idle like it was an I4, and I didn't even notice ANY ticking. It was only the pleasant whrrrr of cam gear whine, and even louder than mine. I went from an I4 to the tiller about a year ago, and even after plugs, oil, filters, coolant flush, TPS set, TB's sync, valves done, my TLR with 16k miles still has somewhat of a lope to it. It barely fluctuates +- 50rpm, but it's not as smooth as the TLS in the TPS video. It's always been like this and I figured it was the nature of the beast to idle that way until I saw/heard the other motor. I know there may be subtle differences, could that be the reason?

#2) :laugh
I wouldn't be too concerned, however I've got a noise at idle. Yes, a noise thread. :laugh My TLR has the normal tick and I also hear what I believe is the scissor gears jumping around, but I've also got a light tap on the bottom end that I can even barely feel with my hand on the clutch cover, about once per revolution I believe. Of course it's best to hear it, but these details may help... It comes on after the engine is real nice and warm, such as pulling up after a ride, and ONLY at idle with no load, both clutch in or out, both in and out of gear. Noise is completely gone once under load. I can even sit there and give it a little throttle with the brake on and ease out the clutch, NO sound at all. Bike runs PERFECT, no hesitation or stumbles at all rpms. I suspect the plugs may be misfiring, as a few weeks ago I was playing with pcII maps, but I just decided to wait until I can get to a dyno and returned it to the zero map. Also, same with or without the pcII.
Again I suggest a soundclip on here of a healthy engine. :)
Bike runs perfectly fine at all rpms so I figured the plugs were still good, but it still has this slight misfire/tap/knock/thud at idle under no load. Are plugs more sensitive at idle to any crap or fouling on them?

Gonna change the plugs asap within the week, just haven't had a chance lately. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
#1 my tacho jumps up & down but the feel of the idle under my ass is smooth & the sound is only a little rough ... but ... ;)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My TLS is no where near as smooth (or slow) as my neighboors DL1000. The newer twins have more mild cams and much more sophisticated FI systems. The TL is not likely to ever be that smooth with the stock fI system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts