TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
dunno, but my home is in a safe area (and well guarded by remington, S&W etc) and if a crook can get within 200yrds of my bike at work we've got bigger problems than my bike possibly being stolen:laugh

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Pity we have to worry about this. Something about thievery really makes my blood boil.

I love stories about thieves getting caught in the act and having the shit beaten out of them. Don't you Brits have a gang that wears festive clown suits that parks a target bike and then lays in wait for the thief to show up and then beats the daylights out of him/them when the act occurs? I love that stuff. We need that kind of "enforcement" here in America :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ok, so this is for a lockable chain, not the drive chain?

Video is too long for me to be watching at work. Anybody got a cliffs notes?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
If they want it they'll get it. They usually go for the easier to steal bikes so a chain can be a deterent if nothing else. An alarm with a pager will at least let you know that something is going on. Then you can use the old saying "shoot first, ask questions later" :laugh!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Ok, so this is for a lockable chain, not the drive chain?

Video is too long for me to be watching at work. Anybody got a cliffs notes?
lock chains vs bolt croppers.

croppers win every time. chains supposed to last 5 a minute attack but only last from ~14secs to 63 secs

utter shite. (the locks that is!!)

·
14,150 Posts
cropper = cutter? :O

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
yes - sorry!

·
14,150 Posts
No problem, just bridging the cultural gap. :thumbup

·
Registered
269 Posts
I prefer lojack and full coverage insurance. and watch were you park it

G

·
you have to take to an count that that cutter was very big and the guy needed his whole weight on it. that just shows that if the chain position is important. you should connect the bike to the wall, so the chain is between the bike and the wall and there is not too much slack. that way it's impossible to get so big cutter in there and it's not possible to use your whole weight on the cutter.

Luckily In finland there is not that many bike tefts anyway. And usually it's some punk just wanting joy ride, so they steal the easiest bike.

If your bike has chain and the bike next to it hasn't. Which one is going to go?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Also, aren't cables much harder to cut?

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
you have to take to an count that that cutter was very big and the guy needed his whole weight on it. that just shows that if the chain position is important. you should connect the bike to the wall, so the chain is between the bike and the wall and there is not too much slack. that way it's impossible to get so big cutter in there and it's not possible to use your whole weight on the cutter.

Luckily In finland there is not that many bike tefts anyway. And usually it's some punk just wanting joy ride, so they steal the easiest bike.

If your bike has chain and the bike next to it hasn't. Which one is going to go?
Ditto, I was thinking the same thing. A crook would have to do that at night, because they could not carry those huge chain cutters around in daylight, lay down their piece of non-skid carpet and start whacking on the chain.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Wholly smokes!! Those Bolt cutter/croppers are damn near 4ft long!! cant say i would expect any chain to last against that for long, but damn... Has anyone see anybody packin those around to steal a bike with? At least it would LOOK pretty obvious that someone was TAKING a bike instead of actually owning it. Like Missinlinc says... they will take the easier of the bikes to take. FWIW.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The bolts are in a van. They pull up take 14 seconds to cut the chain, bike in the van and there gone. MCN parked a bike outside a police station and got some guys to nick it. No one even looked at them.

Thats why I NEVER leave my bike anywhere other than bike meets and home.

:hail TLR's

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Yeah my dad had a couple Harleys disappear one night. Sucks to wake up and find 3 bikes gone. That video is rediculous. I would try a portable torch -just do it under a blanket to hide the light.

My Rules;

Don't leave them in the same place over and over again.

Always cover the bike and locking. Don't allow the theif to come prepared -it will detur any good theif. If a theif is unprepared it will take longer.

Theft insurance

Disk locks don't work :) as you can see by the pic below. I took this bike from my dad when he wasn't home -took me about 30 seconds to load it alone and I did not have a key for the lock on the rear sprocket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts