TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory: I used to have a sweet (mostly stock) TL-S but wanted a DR-Z. Doug had a sweet (modded to the hilt) DR-Z but wanted a TL-S. We traded, and were oh so happy.

Fast forward about four years. So I have a sweet DRZ-SM with a kickstarter, which is hard to use because I also have some ultra-trick, NLA Stage 2 Hotcams with no auto-decomp. Doug has a DRZ-SM with the stock (neutered) cams. He needs Stage 2 cams. I want Stage 1 cams with decomp. A deal is made.

Tye comes by to help wrench, and handle some cams.

"Shiny new spark plug..."

"...a dab of anti-seize, and..."

Wait, here comes Tye! Act natural.

"Okay breathers are off, let's yank the... hey, wait a minute..."

"Is that a camera?"

Yes. Act natural...

naturally... FABULOUS!

So I learned that valve checks are not so scary (especially with a thumper) and that swapping cams is as easy as adjusting shim-under-bucket valves. The whole thing went so well, we swapped some other bits for the fun of it (lights, bodywork... a regular swinger's party) leaving Doug's bike in something of a shambles.

It gets worse.

We got my bike back together and Doug started her up (first kick), then did a few wheelies and stoppies to verify the installation. :devious So we put the Stg2 cams in Doug's bike, set the clearance on the EX (remove, reshim, reinstall), reassemble, and warm it up per the FSM.

The fact that I missed a gasket on one of the cam cover bolts :)doh) isn't apparent when we first fire 'er up, so we go indoors to hang out. Misfire shows up and lurks in the garage (probably doing unspeakable things with Doug's tools) before joining us. At the FSM-correct interval, we move back to the garage and discover that, at some point, oil started spewing everywhere. :banghead Then we dislodge the intake boot on the snug-fitting carb, which apparently requires subframe removal since there's no room for full-size human hands. Doug may chime in on this eventually, but he's probably still fixing the mess we made of his bike. He might never have us back.

If it's any consolation, mine runs awesome. Wrenching with friends beats handing your baby over to a dealer service department every single time. For those who didn't already know, Doug rocks.:doug

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
OMG is doug trying lick your ear :dowhat HMmmm must be a texan think :laugh that last pic not pretty :laugh

:spit :rotfl :lol theres at least 2 pics you guys left for captions :devious :laugh

sounds like it's going to be a nice ride Doug. bugger the neighbours with the noise :laugh

wish your close buy i'd get you to help sort out my suspension on the 950SER

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
:hail

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Well, about 2140 last night I fired my baby up, I tried to be nice, but the neighbors "noticed" me leaving. You would all be proud, I ran down the road in khaki shorts and tennis shoes, but did wear a helmet. The little guy rips, I think my clutch might actually be slipping a bit, I will check that soon. The carb set me back a bit, I completely disassembled the rear of the bike, and got it sorted. There is a little step to the intake boot, if you set it so the carb is to the left slightly, it cures all the issues. Chris gave me the unobtainium cams, a DRC tail light and signals, and a rear fender with skull installed for free! So :hail to Chris. Tye did some good work, until we were unable to figure out Chad was in the garage all was well.

We did get free lunch, thanks Donna!

Hello Kitty has a new home.

Skulls rock!

Cams are timed and carb doesn't hit frame....

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Finally, we couldn't get my torque wrench in the space available, so I made a new tool, works great, sorry I didn't have it for yours Chris

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doug sounds like a good time. I spent most of the weekend in the garage as well -- rebuilt forks, shock and rear linkage/swarm pivot in place on the montesa :deal

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Follow up. I rode Mr. DR-Z to work today. The little bastard is ****ing awesome to ride now. You let off and it pops just right. Wheelies in corners are fun, and stoppies are at every opportunity. Really woke it up. Before the mods the Little DR-Z could pull 92 mph. Today I went 102 mph up hill! Wow! Still had some room, but she is a bit squirrely at that speed. Very nice, no leaks, as after Chris did his magic. I replaced the little gasket he left out. I redid the shims and put the clearances at the wide end of the limit. Very happy. Next I will paint the kick stand, and in a bit pull the motor and make it into a 60 hp 470 cc stroker motor. Did I mention I did a couple of big old wheelies on the RC8R today? Tye had stored my KTM's so I had room to work, and we had to ride them back. Woo Hoo! We had a nice quick ride back. He did some good wheelies on the Superduke.

I love motorcycles and my motorcycle buddies. Thanks fella's!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Always back to the SD eh Doug :)

Since I got the D3 it's been either good wind for kitesurfing or pouring rain, so I've only ridden it twice but yesterday I really started getting into it ... lovin' it! Can't quite figure out the seat though ...

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Ahhh, SM seating isn't the best. The DR-Z seat is one of the poorest places to be, but the little bike makes you forget that. Loves me some DR-Z. I love the SD because it is fun like the DR-Z and scary fast like the RC8R all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
FWIW Renazco makes some exceptionally comfortable, snazzy leather seats for dirt bikes/sumos.

This guy took one look at it and said "that's a ride to Cabo seat" - he would know.

You can kinda see the diff between the stock seat (dad's bike on the left) and the fancy seat (right)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Familiar with Renazco, the current hot ticket in DR-Z land is Seat Concepts they sell the seat cover and foam for $159.00 for the DR-Z, fella's swear by them. I may try one, it can't be worse and the price isn't bad.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You gotta send them your stock seat pan I think. Its a low-volumn deal, all done by hand, custom foam density, shape etc to your weight and desires. Cover is real leather, stitched up very nicely. Its expensive, but when you play with one its clear why. Note, my XR came with one the previous owner had purchased, I didn't spend the $$, I've got an arse of steel (and sadly the PO went for a rather wide, stock-height seat which is great on the road, but in the desert I'd rather a touch slimmer and a good bit taller) :deal

The Seat Concepts stuff is getting popular with XR650R people too. Cheap and its wider than stock so better support = more comfort.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
KTM offers 3 different 'ergo' seat, same height then +20mm, +40 supposedly with gel in there ... nobody on the KTM forums has replied to my thread yet so I don't know if that's +40mm of padding or what ...
I got the TL gel seat recovered ages ago, wonder if they do foam or whatnot ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts