TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's a cat, but he's been with us for 14 years. If you're a dog person, please just relate this to a dog.

Four weeks ago he started acting a little "different" so off to the vet he went, it was chalked up to age ($110 USD). A week later he started trying to piss everywhere and there was blood evident.

A trip to the vet found that he had developed diabetes and because of that, a urinary tract infection. A blood test was done so we knew exactly what we were dealing with prior to making any rash decisions. Results: other than the above mentioned, he was good to go ($308 USD).

We decided to get his diabetes stabilized and resort to daily 7:00am insulin injections ($330 USD including our first batch of insulin, needles and prescription food, the food is $37 USD every two weeks).

Tonight he started the pissing attempts with blood again. Over the past few days there's also been some shits around the house, including diarrhea. A trip to the emergency clinic found that he relapsed into what is likely either a new urinary tract infection or a continuation/progression of the previous infection. More meds and sent home to see what happens ($123 USD). He's currently locked in our laundry room leaving little pink spots everywhere and his ass end is soaked.

Total $871 USD ($989 CDN) Now... keep in mind we have a one year old son who's VERY mobile and so we're faced with surprise messes all over the house that our son might find before us on top of who knows how many more vet visits not to mention what this must be like for the cat. We've begun thinking the time has come.

Thanks for reading, advice welcome.

Here's the cat, my son and me shortly after my son was born (yes, the cat is bigger than many small dogs; 22 lbs). And to keep it bike related, I'm wearing my "2 Wheel Junkie" t-shirt.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
sorry to hear it pets are family too ....but you do have a baby to think about still a tough call but glad you have to make it and not me....best wishes...

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
we just spent $300 on a 17 year old cat.......hard to say when enough is enough......i guess when our cat doesnt have quality life it will be time for her to go....

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...its hard making decisions like this, but if it seems if your friend is in pain then I always feel there only once choice - spend the $$ on the operation if it will cure him/her...if not then you need to ease their pain and don't make them suffer any more...

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
its hard to see a pet go - there family.
but think of your sons safety IE: hygiene & you know it only take's one hair on you childs lung that can cause asthma for the rest of his life & worst.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I've got a 10yo dog in good health. I haven't put a value on his life, but it wont be much when he's old and get's sick, especially if it's an age related problem.

Maybe I'm just a heartless bastard. :dunno

But the same goes for me when I'm older. Put me out of my misery, pull the plug whatever, I don't want to be a burden and if quality of life is gone, what's the point.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
cats 14, youve dropped a grand. Thats about 700 more than I think I would have spent past the first visit with age. Either the cat needs to be outside in the great outdoors retirement home , or its time to put him down. I have a puppy we just went thru hoops to get diagnoised and after spending about the same amount, we decidied the vets know shit and we fired his ass. and sought help elsewhere.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't really think there's a damn thing any of us can say, really, to help you out; this is between you, your wife, and your cat. FWIW, ours is 15 now; his littermate sister died 18 months ago. Watching her suffer as we tried all sorts of medicine, only to die anyway... well, we won't do that again.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't think I could spend much more on an animal than the replacement cost, but then I'm a heartless economist:lol Perhaps if an animal were young and healty but just needed some work done to fix up an injury but I don't think I could justify spending much on an older animal without great prospects of living a long healthy life after the expenditure. Still, this is just my thinking, you obviously have totally different preferences and should do what suits you, it doesn't matter at all what I think.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'll start off with Holy crap that's a huge cat!

I've got a dog and she's still quite young but already part of our family. I can't bear to think of her in a situation like this. It's a tough call I'm sure and I have no advice whatsoever to offer. I can offer condolences for having to deal with it though.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
We've got just under 6k into one of our dogs legs. ran out into the street and hit a car, best treatment was external alignment rods. We started calling him hot tub after that because we spent the money we had saved for a hot tub.
but, he's ok and we got our tub afterall :)

part of pet ownership imop.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't think you should do drastic treatments when animals are old. Not just for the cost, but I don't think an amimal should be put through that. It's always sad to lose a pet that has been with you for so long, judging from that pic he looks like part of the family.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
geezez.. drown him and grab a new one.

·
Registered
871 Posts
A pet can be as close to you as a child but when it comes down to it a pet is just that a pet and outside of regular vet visits I could not see spending all kinds of loot on an animal especialy if the pet has already had a full life.
But like pfunk said it's a personal decision! So whatever you decision is I hope it works out for the best!:)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
We have a rottweiler (my best mate), 2 cats, 2 lizards, 8 chooks, a family of 6 kookaburras :laugh (sort of) ...............................

anyway, if my dog or cats need time at the surgury, $$ dont matter :coocoo

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice from everyone, even dsly1 (kinda grounding really).

The cat bounced back this morning and aside from being locked in the laundry room, seems back to normal. There was no new evidence of urine/blood on the floor.

Our regular vet called me after receiving the fax from the emergency clinic and wanted to see the cat (read: more cash). I figured I wanted his opinion anyway as we know him and he knows the cat so in I went. He's convinced that the original urinary tract infection was not completely dealt with prior to the meds running out and that it just inflamed again. So within three days he should be able to wander from the laundry room without us having to worry about him messing in the house although he'll be on meds for a couple more weeks.

I made him aware of our concerns re; costs and what would be his opinion if it were his cat with his 1 year old in the house. He pointed out that the cat has put on a pound since starting the insulin which was a great sign and he felt that this was a small setback and nothing more and to continue on. He then, knowing what we've spent, proceeded to not charge me for the visit, give me 10% off on a case of food (which I needed as we were out) and suggest cutting the canned portions in half and supplement with dry, effectively cutting our food costs in half.

All in all this is good (the money was already spent prior to today anyway) however it has also allowed my wife and I to come to the decision that should anything else arise it'll be chalked up to a good life and time to go.

Thanks again for reading. It's kinda funny how posting here is like therapy and it speaks to the people here (there's no way I would have posted this on any of my local boards or anything like gixxer.com!).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well that's good news:thumbup

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Good news and a wise and thoughtful conclusion, imo.

(pretty sure I wouldn't have taken him as far as you already did though)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
good to hear :thumbup

Thanks again for reading. It's kinda funny how posting here is like therapy and it speaks to the people here (there's no way I would have posted this on any of my local boards or anything like gixxer.com!).

thats because were an occult forum & like a family :)

T

·
0 Posts
I'm glad he's doing better. I don't know what I'd do in that position. My wife and I don't have children and our two cats and one dog are our kids. Until I've been in that situation I just don't know what I'd do. Again, I'm glad things are looking up for him

1 - 20 of 32 Posts