TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people in so cal or any where else, ride their TL's in the rain and or year round?

I live in so cal where rain is far and few however when it rains, it rains.

My TL is my main source of transportaion and winter is coming in fast with rain on the way.

How many people ride in the rain? what do you wear? any special tires?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I ride year round on the east coast. I wear different stuff depending on temp, but have a selection of textile gear, rain oversuit and heated vest. I use Avon Storm tires as they last really well and stick better than anything else I've used in the rain. They also put up with road grime/sand/salt and even snow better than any other sport tire I've used.

have fun:thumbup

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ride year round, and have for the past 9 years. The bike is primary transportation.

I have elected to go with the Pilot series tires (Road 2ct or Power) because they have the highest [reported] wet weather grip.

Initially, I started with a Buell rainsuit, which like all things Harley, are absolute shit.

The best rainsuit I have found are PolyTyvek HazMat suits. Yeah, sounds funny, but they work great. Same with gloves. PVC Hazmat gauntlet gloves fit right over Icon summer gloves, and the gauntlet fits over the Hazmat Suit.

The Hazmat suits cost [my previous employer] about $4 each, and get thrown away if they leak or mildew. More suits are readily available. Size 5XL is best. It's designed for an SCBA, so any backpack fits right under with room to spare.

I look like a giant banana, but I'm dry.

http://store.pksafety.net/tychemqc37120.html

·
Registered
380 Posts
I try and steer clear of rain out of love for my bike and the electrics.

However, a couple years ago I got stuck at a friends house in a monster storm. Lightning and falling trees took out the power lines so he had no TV or internet to check the weather. Waited about 4 hours and it was dark out (9PM or so) but it seemed to have calmed down a bit. I thought it might be over and tried to go the 15 miles home. I was wrong. I got blasted with rain and mud and tree limbs and even rode on a long stretch rode that was surprisingly vacant -- because the police had blocked it off bc of high water levels on the street.

Anyway, I made it fine, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. Qualifiers stuck to the ground like glue and didn't have a single issue. Good luck out there :thumbup

·
Registered
350 Posts
I rode all year round last year in the UK, I don't mind the cold but I hate the wet.

Wore A Frank Thomas XTi jacket (not the leather one) and their leather trousers [pants].
My standard Akito leather gloves and some Sidi boots.
My thermal wear was AntiFreeze balaclava and their long sleeved t-shirt thing.
I was impressed.

My only complaint was the cloth crotch in the FT-XTi leather trousers, made me look like i'd pissed myself every time I got to work because any rain would run down the tank straight into my fecking crotch. However, a change of clothers stored at work sorted that out.

This year I picked up some Frank Thomas Antifreeze all weather trousers but I actually plan to pick up a car because I'm going to be travelling even more this winter, and the cost of a car should be less than the cost of repairs should I drop the bike on Ice / snow.

My trips were a 80 mile home for the weekend, and 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back. Around 320 miles each week.

Oh and I dislike riding in snow, the snow blocks the airvents and the visor steams up :(

·
Registered
851 Posts
rain would run down the tank straight into my fecking crotch. :(

I know the feeling, although I think my 1st gen SV is worse about the crotch thing than the TLR

I try not to ride in much rain, but if a little falls I don't mind too much, other than the above.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If its above 80 deg. F I don't mind getting caught in the rain, but won't ride out in it. If its colder, I watch the weather report a lot closer. No special gear, just get wet and go.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Rain yes, all year round no. We get snow in the winter and thus salty roads.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
TL tracks, just got home from work

Just got home from a ski trip

About to leave for work

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
It doesn't snow where I live now, but when I lived in Denver, I used to ride on snowy streets if it looked like the sun would break though during the day. Have to wash off the bike to keep the snow melt from destroying everything metal on the bike though. Otherwise, I ride in the rain and hail here in Florida. I use mink oil on my leather jacket & riding boots which repels the water pretty good. Been thinking about getting some rain gear though. Most of the year here is warm, but when it does get cold, the removable vest inside my jacket is usually warm enough.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I used to ride year round no matter what. Now pretty much if it's raining on my way to work, I'll drive, but on the way home I don't care too much. But I found when I was riding no matter what that it really took the fun out of motorcycling and I rarely rode for fun anymore. So now a days, I only ride when I really want to so long as I'm having fun.

·
Registered
380 Posts
But I found when I was riding no matter what that it really took the fun out of motorcycling and I rarely rode for fun anymore.
+1

I stopped commuting on my bike for that exact reason. The traffic where I am is absolutely terrible. I envy people that have commutes less than 45 minutes, you don't know how good you've got it!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
+1

I stopped commuting on my bike for that exact reason. The traffic where I am is absolutely terrible. I envy people that have commutes less than 45 minutes, you don't know how good you've got it!
Less than 45 minutes, and I can take the HOV lane! :2finger

Actually, some of the places I've looked at moving are further away and would give me a longer commute. That would only be tolerable because I'd commute on the bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
the 5xl rain gear is the best thing to tell ya. i drove 12 hours to new orleans from tampa 2 weeks ago and my pilot powers were incredible. the only thing that almost happened was that since it was raining in new orleans and the streets suck i took a turn and didnt see the manhole cover and the bike almost came out from underneath me. in front of a cop lol. i kept it upright though. i ride 24/7/365 occasionally on long trips i check the weather ;)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I live in Phoenix, so HELL yes I ride all year. It would seem that it don't rain here, at least in north Phoenix. The most I have rode in was some freak hail storm which gives a nice cracking sound on the helmet other than that it's only sprinkled rain. NOW, Michigan had some storms that I would never go out in.

I wear the jacket in my avatar still looking for some pants to mate up to the jacket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey - respect to BP for riding in those conditions. I live in Scotland where it's always pish'in with rain so Goretex is my best pal!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts