TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in here since wednsday. i hate it! my soul must have missed the day when the good bodies where handed out. damn

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
So, What happened?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4got to say. I hate crohn's disease!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I understand there's no cure. Something you just have to cope with. -Sucks! I feel for ya.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sorry to hear. Crohn sucks, a friend of mine has it too (not Anastasia by the way).

Hang in there and stay in the zone.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Get well soon!

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Oh man sorry to hear about that, my mechanic has it and I've watched him suffer through many surgeries in the last 15 years or so. Keep your chin up and we'll all be thinking about you. Hope you get out of the hospital soon.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good thoughts. Yes it does suck. Esp this time with being in school, i only had 10weeks till graduation. Also sucks using my psp to surf the site while in here...lol. my hopes are for the good. will know more when the doc shows up.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I had illeitis - Crohns of the illeum, basically. Had surgery 10 years ago to remove the bad plumbing and it has been OK since.

Two things I find help me - Fish oil caps really seem to soothe the system, and my doc put me on Cholestryramine.

Here is a link to the medication I am on. For some reason it does not seem to be used much. I had not heard of it until I moved to Colorado and met an old time GI doc. When I lived in California, the fancy docs at UCLA never put me on it and this simple and cheap medicine has helped me the most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholestyramine

Good luck to you, I know personally how miserable Crohns is. I count myself very lucky these days, no recurrence post surgery after 10 years.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You have my sympathies and well wishes. My wife spent 5 days in the hospital in October and gets to return this Wednesday for surgery. It had been many years since I had spent any time in a hospital and I forgot how shitty it really is (although it's nice to have them when you really need one... it's just not nice to need one)

Good luck getting out of there sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had illeitis - Crohns of the illeum, basically. Had surgery 10 years ago to remove the bad plumbing and it has been OK since.

Two things I find help me - Fish oil caps really seem to soothe the system, and my doc put me on Cholestryramine.

Here is a link to the medication I am on. For some reason it does not seem to be used much. I had not heard of it until I moved to Colorado and met an old time GI doc. When I lived in California, the fancy docs at UCLA never put me on it and this simple and cheap medicine has helped me the most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholestyramine

Good luck to you, I know personally how miserable Crohns is. I count myself very lucky these days, no recurrence post surgery after 10 years.
Well i got out Sunday night and pretty much slept all day monday( had no 1 wanting to wake me to take blood and all). Today went to school and requested some medical leave, so now i got 2 months b4 i go back and have to start yamaha all over again.

Now as to why i was sent home....1st I have no health insurance:banghead( iam a student with no job)
2nd after the GI doc looked over all my test results he kept saying that i need to get insurance due to me needing what he referred to as the "Big Gun" to treat my ever so annoying disease.
The "Big Gun" he was referring to is called Remicade. Google that and you will choke on how much that treatment cost per dose!

Duke,
14yrs ago i too had some surgery to remove some bad plumbing. Unlucky for me most was bad.
And now what i have left isn't looking to good, plus my body has done some weird sh!t. From x-rays and that delicious barreum drink, it appears that a tube has formed my stomach straight to end of whats left in me causing a good % of what i eat to bypass the intestinal tract. wtf:dowhat
So basically i was sent home with a band aide (Prednisone) to take until my follow up appt with the GI doc and then we would discuss alternate means of obtaining this other treatment.

Thanks for the good thoughts guys it is appreciated.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Aw man, I am sorry to hear that. I had a fistula too - but it did not require that much additional removal - about 10% of my colon.

The thing the Cholestryramine does is greatly reduce the irritable colon that results from all the issues upstream in the small intestine. It is no cure of course, but it does help make things more comfortable. Remicade does indeed cost an arm and a leg. I was never deemed worthy enough for that I guess.

My opinion is that the disease is due to the body turning on itself - an autoimmune issue. I first was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 17, I am 47 now. It does seem that it became less "aggressive" as I got older. My thought is that my body is just getting a bit worn down, less "reactive" and it is calming down in general as it goes slower and slower :laugh Hopefully that is something to look forward to - a unexpected benefit of getting a bit older.

In any case, my best wishes to you. It is a shame prednisone is not a not term drug that can be taken. It sure makes you feel like superman when you are on it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think there's an alternative to Remicade (apparently there's half a dozen drugs that do the same thing - I've rheumatoid arthritice which is caused by the same sort of auto immune disorder as your problem and mostly uses the same medicines). I haven't started on it yet, but there's one option that's injections and is about $15k per injection. There's another that's an infusion and is much more affordable, though I don't know by how much (my health ins covers all of it). Its a bit annoying because you've gotta be hooked up to the machine for a few hours, but you only need infusions every 3-4 weeks IIRC. I can't remember the specific names though.

Prednisone is good stuff too - right now I'm on a bunch of that and i shoot myself up with methotrexate once a week.

Anyhow, you'd probably be best off getting insurance - your school probably offers it for a fee. I know its partially built into my tuition, then there's a moderate extra fee. Its still not cheap, but way cheaper than a major hospital bill.

A friend of mine has very bad crohns and she's won multiple AMA championships and run a marathon so keep your chin up:thumbup

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aw man, I am sorry to hear that. I had a fistula too - but it did not require that much additional removal - about 10% of my colon.

The thing the Cholestryramine does is greatly reduce the irritable colon that results from all the issues upstream in the small intestine. It is no cure of course, but it does help make things more comfortable. Remicade does indeed cost an arm and a leg. I was never deemed worthy enough for that I guess.

My opinion is that the disease is due to the body turning on itself - an autoimmune issue. I first was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 17, I am 47 now. It does seem that it became less "aggressive" as I got older. My thought is that my body is just getting a bit worn down, less "reactive" and it is calming down in general as it goes slower and slower :laugh Hopefully that is something to look forward to - a unexpected benefit of getting a bit older.

In any case, my best wishes to you. It is a shame prednisone is not a not term drug that can be taken. It sure makes you feel like superman when you are on it.
It took me years to find a doc that could tell me what was wrong, finally around age 21 if found one that was able to help but i was heavily damaged so I don't have much left on the inside. I am 36 now and it's looking like it's come back with a vengeance.
In the beginning it was explained to me as that it was my body turning on it's self.
Oh ya Prednisone sure dose make you fell good!! and you eat everything in sight! The 2 downsides i could do without is the short temper part, and the way it makes my knees feel.

I think there's an alternative to Remicade (apparently there's half a dozen drugs that do the same thing - I've rheumatoid arthritice which is caused by the same sort of auto immune disorder as your problem and mostly uses the same medicines). I haven't started on it yet, but there's one option that's injections and is about $15k per injection. There's another that's an infusion and is much more affordable, though I don't know by how much (my health ins covers all of it). Its a bit annoying because you've gotta be hooked up to the machine for a few hours, but you only need infusions every 3-4 weeks IIRC. I can't remember the specific names though.

Prednisone is good stuff too - right now I'm on a bunch of that and i shoot myself up with methotrexate once a week.

Anyhow, you'd probably be best off getting insurance - your school probably offers it for a fee. I know its partially built into my tuition, then there's a moderate extra fee. Its still not cheap, but way cheaper than a major hospital bill.

A friend of mine has very bad crohns and she's won multiple AMA championships and run a marathon so keep your chin up:thumbup
Hmm I am going to have to check into seeing if the school offers any insurance. My wife gets insurance from her work in march.
Yes the Remicade is were you have to hooked up to a IV line for a few hours.

No way in gods green earth am i going to let this crap win over me. I have to much to on my list:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
There's another that's like Remicade, but different (and I think much less expensive) that I'm supposed to be starting on soon. I can't remember the name though:O

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's another that's like Remicade, but different (and I think much less expensive) that I'm supposed to be starting on soon. I can't remember the name though:O
I will add that to the long list of questions i have for this GI doc when I have my follow up appt.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Pillette thinks its called inflixamab :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I just asked pilette a bit more about it, she says its basically a generic form of Remicade (so less expensive). This is for the arthritics context, but i think the meds are the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts