TLZone Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
great idea, but the location I agree is not ideal. Recon it needs to be in the South (east) ideally to avoid the visitors having to do 4+ hrs of motorways once they get here.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
great idea, but the location I agree is not ideal. Recon it needs to be in the South (east) ideally to avoid the visitors having to do 4+ hrs of motorways once they get here.

can you be more specific?

Bodmin in Cornwall, the first place mentioned is around 300 miles from Dover and they were happy to go there, Up to Spalding is around 175 miles.
We do 200 miles from Calais to the German border each time, I don't think distance this side of the water is a particular issue. Anyway 4 hours on the motorway, if that route is chosen is a piece of piss. Most of them will be with trailers anyway.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Provided they avoid the M5 South on Thursday-saturday then traffic shouldn't be an issue. I cover from Tewkesbury to Penzance with work, so might be able to arrange to meet up with them if they are in that neck of the woods.

I can thoroughly recommend South Wales too, fantastic camping, scenery and twisty roads!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I can’t be more specific no, as I’m also trying to find somewhere.
If they don’t mind driving / riding 4hrs once on this side then that opens up half the country then.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think it is about time to promote a TL meeting for 2020. I propose the venue as https://dougiescaravanandcamping.com/ it is a nice campsite with static caravans to hire, a pub and food on site. fairly decent roads can be reached for a rideout if you wish. Looking at mid to late September 2020.

Please everyone spread the word.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Not so sure about the mid to late September bit. That's around now.
It's dark by 7.30 getting cold too (though we've had some warm days this year I'll admit, but it definately cold in the mornings now for my ride to work) not so good for those actually camping. End of August into September might be. Little better. We could maybe even think about tieing it in with the August bank holiday to give people an extra day.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
can't really use the bank holiday as it is a prime time for the campsites and we may not get the accommodation, plus every other bugger is on the road and out at all the venues.
I would not of thought that getting dark would be a problem as we would all be in the bar by then and the weather will do what the weather will do no matter what dates are chosen.
I have just finished a week in Wales and only felt it was cold in the tent for one night and only got rained on today when packing up.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
can't really use the bank holiday as it is a prime time for the campsites and we may not get the accommodation, plus every other bugger is on the road and out at all the venues.
I would not of thought that getting dark would be a problem as we would all be in the bar by then and the weather will do what the weather will do no matter what dates are chosen.
I have just finished a week in Wales and only felt it was cold in the tent for one night and only got rained on today when packing up.
Well if that's what you think then check and see if the Germans are interested then. Let's hope it pans out ok in the long run.
:thumbup.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yea, I checked with the thread on their site.
The only response was a positive, that was from the guy who instigated the "England 2020" thread.

I had a brief word with Zipcode a little while ago.
I said do we just make it a trad rally - no fees or organisation as such.
He supported the idea we put some effort into it and organised something like raffles or tombolas and take a fee, somewhat alone the lines of what the Germans do..........

I will visit the site next month and mull over the possibilities whilst there. It may mean we would need an organisation committee who might be needed to put up some cash upfront.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think at the end of the day we are always going have times which suite some and not others. It's just how it is.
I think the earlier in September the better really. Possibly the first weekend once schools go back to get the deals with the site and so forth if we are not able to 'block book" it.

I don't mind helping with planning / arrangements ETC.

I know the Endurance Racing guys would welcome us at one of their events next year, but they won't have confirmation on dates or location for a while and that's not ideal when we have to plan well in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I visited the site in Lincolnshire and it will be ideal. The proposed venue is .... https://dougiescaravanandcamping.com/

There are 5 static caravans that have 2 bedrooms each and will comfortably take 3 single guys, a couple and 2 singles or at a push 2 additional singles on large couches.
Additionally there are 4 touring type caravans for hire which can take similar numbers but without a bathroom of any sort and of course would be a bit more "cosy".
Plenty of room for tents, caravans, trailers and campervans.

There is a swimming pool and a hot tub - if that's your sort of thing......................

The bar is plenty big enough with a second bar and a games room together with a covered outside area and additional outside seating.
The pub does food from 7.30am and there is a surprisingly large menu but it is pub grub - no frills here.
There are a couple of real ales and a selection of the usual beers and lagers.

The decor is dated and tired but clean and functional - if wanted there is also a "rally" field if you wanted to keep yourself separate.

The owners would be happy to accommodate us and once the kids go back to school the custom dies right off so they would be willing to reserve all the statics and vans for £100 in total.
They are also willing to arrange live music for us for our stay. Additionally there was talk of a discount on the web listed prices which could help a lot with working capital.

I think 2, 3 or 4 of us need to get together and thrash out the basics, to commit enough money to produce a working budget of 2 to 400 quid to hold the site and accommodation then work on publicizing the event and deciding on badges, tombola, raffle, t-shirts and ride outs etc.
I think it needs to happen soon so we can start pushing the meeting from December, particularly on your Facebook site Nick, and in the Biker Guide etc to get a larger turnout and of course to give the Germans and any other continental visitors plenty of time to sort out their lives.

Of course I made no commitment or undertaking with the owners so we could just forget it and walk away.

I could see this easily becoming a regular TL meeting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Ted, You can count me in to help out with the organisation. Its looking like my house moves nearly sorted (fingers crossed) so I'll have a bit more time to get involved with things.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Well I visited the site in Lincolnshire and it will be ideal. The proposed venue is .... https://dougiescaravanandcamping.com/

There are 5 static caravans that have 2 bedrooms each and will comfortably take 3 single guys, a couple and 2 singles or at a push 2 additional singles on large couches.
Additionally there are 4 touring type caravans for hire which can take similar numbers but without a bathroom of any sort and of course would be a bit more "cosy".
Plenty of room for tents, caravans, trailers and campervans.

There is a swimming pool and a hot tub - if that's your sort of thing......................

The bar is plenty big enough with a second bar and a games room together with a covered outside area and additional outside seating.
The pub does food from 7.30am and there is a surprisingly large menu but it is pub grub - no frills here.
There are a couple of real ales and a selection of the usual beers and lagers.

The decor is dated and tired but clean and functional - if wanted there is also a "rally" field if you wanted to keep yourself separate.

The owners would be happy to accommodate us and once the kids go back to school the custom dies right off so they would be willing to reserve all the statics and vans for £100 in total.
They are also willing to arrange live music for us for our stay. Additionally there was talk of a discount on the web listed prices which could help a lot with working capital.

I think 2, 3 or 4 of us need to get together and thrash out the basics, to commit enough money to produce a working budget of 2 to 400 quid to hold the site and accommodation then work on publicizing the event and deciding on badges, tombola, raffle, t-shirts and ride outs etc.
I think it needs to happen soon so we can start pushing the meeting from December, particularly on your Facebook site Nick, and in the Biker Guide etc to get a larger turnout and of course to give the Germans and any other continental visitors plenty of time to sort out their lives.

Of course I made no commitment or undertaking with the owners so we could just forget it and walk away.

I could see this easily becoming a regular TL meeting.
Well, thats a great bit of feedback Rich, thanks for taking the time! I'll spend the next week looking into things and then go form there. I have a few folks interested already and I honestly can't see why we can't get 30+ UK riders there for a couple days. Okay...... lets do this and get it setup!

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had a quick look at the Biker's Guide and it would suggest we avoid the 1st and last weekend in September. Others may have some specific info.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nick, I think we need to start pumping this out to get the bodies there.

Also need to book the site for the 2nd or 3rd weekend of the month. Call/text/e-mail me if you need some help.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hi Ted, I don't get on here much hence no reply. Just txt me bud.
I fear it may already be too late to get guys to commit. Unfortunately with some not so great news regarding a family members health, alot of uncertainty regarding work and IR35 contract crap, I just haven't had the time to really invest in getting stuff done.

Can you remind me who the folks were from germany who had 'committed to coming' ? I want to contact them to see if they are still available or if they've already made other plans for this season. If they no longer available for this season, then i still want to go and spend a night at Dougies to go and check it out and then to book it for next year now. That gives everyone 12+ months to take time off and to be available and I'd think the turn out would be a lot better then too. We could then also speak to folks at the treffen to try and get them to visit too.

Let me know your thoughts.
laters.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
have posted a request for a list of names on the German site.
I have gone for the 18th to 20th September 2020.

These were the original 10 names who wanted to come.....

1. Doc Holiday
:D

2. Pupsi

3. Bitch
4. Guest

5. Simon

6. Ingo
:)

7. xTheCROWx
:)

8. Mirko

9. bed village (Olli)

10. Alain

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Well, the current situation all over the world isn't looking to promising.
Might be an idea to postpone this before anyone actually starts booking travel etc. The reason I say is that I have travel booked for 2 trips this year and both look unlikely to happen. Inc the treffen in Germany. I've paid out over £700.00 in deposits and ferry bookings and flights. At least my annual holiday insurance does give me cover for the covid 19 so if payments can't be refunded (easy jet flights and ferry) I should be able to claim off it to get my money back. Stay safe everyone.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts