TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the gasket changed & thought I'd biff in a new fuel filter just cos I could too.
Woo whee! There's a noticeable difference! Starts better, crisper response, more pull ... lifted the front wheel in third :eek never done that before :)

47,500km on the clock. I've put 20,000km on in 18 months or so ... despite being without my licence for 5 months :laugh time for plugs too - they're only supposed to do 12,000km according to the manual.

I'm guessing the old gasketperished & bits of it clogged up the filter. So here's a question - lately I've been running the gas right into reserve and having to put like 15L in when I used to put in 13L.

Would having so little fuel & colder night have buggered the gasket?

I'm thinking that the gasket wouldn't be 'covered' by the gas in the tank as it sat at night on a few occasions & somehow the cold air in the tank ... well buggered it up :)

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Gaskets get cooked over time. You are lucky it lasted so long.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh? Apparently when I bought the bike & it arrived at the shop it was leaking from the fuel pump so they replaced the gasket before they gave me the bike way back 18 months ago ... you telling me, Doug, I have to get new gaskets for the fuel pump every year? :eek

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Don't tell me I should change my pump gasket or open this thing up to replace the fuel filter? I'm happy as I am for the gasket not leaking gas all over me yet and intended to keep it on as long as I can... :O

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
:stupid considering early TL's propensity to leak at the gasket (even the recalled tanks, which I have) I am reluctant to open it up to replace the filter. :dowhat

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If its any consolation, I swaped my filter/gasket to a new tank after my old one got crunched with ~4k miles on the bike. I just rolled over 49k miles wednesday and still no leaks on the origional gasket:D Hope I'm not jinxing myself:scared

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I'd rather have a leak free tank too.. it drinks fuel enough as is! But DAMN! 3rd gear wheelies do sounds VERY good to me for sure!! :devious

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I changed my fuel filter recently as well. You're right in what a big difference it makes in power .Where I used to have to tug on the bars in second to wheelie , now it comes up just accelerating .It even popped up in third a couple of times unexpectedly but like you said in really cold dry weather. Stupid me tho I forgot to change the filter sac at the pickup .My filter was right clogged with orangy brown sludge .The bike had sat for 6 yrs before I bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts