TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never pays to count on things or take things for granted.

A couple of weeks back a seller in Australia had a pair of Aprilia switchs (L/H and R/H side) with a buy it now of AU$350 (US$275) + shipping.
I was to slow and missed them....... I contacted him and he cut me a deal on another L/H one with spare cover as per this auction of his that just finished.

Here is what i got.....33 years old :yumyum

I won't say how much i payed but no where near this much below.

Here is an auction that finished today,same seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ducati-750-bevel-twin-Aprilia-blinker-switch-NOS_W0QQitemZ320057097856QQihZ011

I was getting a little concerned with my spending given i payed AU$1556 (US$1223) for 2 cylinders,one bare head,a 33 year old dash light switch and a inspection/adjustment plate for the clutch cover last week.

After seeing some of the going prices lately i can kind of justify it again. :laugh ..The $350 dollar switchs are worth more in a little over a week. :dowhat

Here are some in the US with 2 or so days to run still..This stuff is unobtainium.

It has the mounting plate and wiring..rare as.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ring-for-GT-Sport-Bevel_W0QQitemZ290058498401

Whoa..A clutch perch and lever..33 years old and no longer available new for a long time
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...ring-for-GT-Sport-Bevel_W0QQitemZ290058511590

:laugh Remember that when you buy your next off the shelf TL part from the dealer.

Not forgetting this is the bike dating from 1971 that started it all (along the frame 90 degree V-Twin (L really but doesn't sound as cool)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
This bike is going to be an all original piece of work?

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Can't say why I watched 'em other than intrigue, but I was gobsmacked when I saw what these went for ...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300052957318&rd=1&rd=1 :dowhat

Prices for parts do seem to be on the up, yet back in the summer an absolutely 100% mint and original 750GT brought back from the US and in showroom condition with 4k miles on it sold for £4500 :O

Clunker GT's and GTS's go for around £1k - 1500, it'd be cheaper to buy a couple of them and break them, or even wait for the occasional minter to come upand buy the complete thing :O :coocoo

Keep hoping I'll find a GTS or Darmah going for a song at a moment when I actually have the cash :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
damn clean for there age them and if your going for the origanal restore ya gota get what ya need money cant come into it

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't say why I watched 'em other than intrigue, but I was gobsmacked when I saw what these went for ...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300052957318&rd=1&rd=1 :dowhat

Prices for parts do seem to be on the up, yet back in the summer an absolutely 100% mint and original 750GT brought back from the US and in showroom condition with 4k miles on it sold for £4500 :O
Moose..I had been watching those hubs but the airfreight from the UK can be a killer,near $300 for those item's.
Good idea,buy some GT's so i can get some parts :laugh

That bike you mention is probably a good price being original (nz$13200) (us$8900) bearing in mind what a rebuild can cost.

This bike is going to be an all original piece of work?
Steve..It will be as original as possible but has taken a lot longer than expected (But you get that) ....... The paint will be stripped and redone again..Engine will be stock externally but as many modern updates as possible.. Dyna S ignition,ceramic coated chamber/pistons/valves etc.
The thing with old bikes is simple things like the engine covers can take countless hours to refurbish but it is all part of the fun of trying to bring something back to life.

Never really bothered with pics (even bikes in show's )..Heres one,you can see the broken fins that will be replaced with the parts coming from Queensland.Only the rear head will be retained.

damn clean for there age them and if your going for the origanal restore ya gota get what ya need money cant come into it
Indeed Billy..... Might have seen a half dozen switchs on Ebay (worldwide)this year..... If you snooze you loose.Got to :hail those folk who restore true vintage bikes from what looks like a pile of rust with half the parts missing.
At least with old Ducati's the parts do come up if you wait or look hard enough.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Damn Les! This disease can be costly, nice score. :thumbup

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shop down the road had almost that same bike, can't remember the year as I was about 12 at the time but it was the first ducati I ever saw. Love the old stuff. It seems like anything old is worth money. I'm always looking for old tubes for my guitar amp as they are 10 times better than new ones and the prices are crazy. Have fun with your new old friend!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome score Les, can't wait to see more pics of the whole bike and perhaps a ride report:hail

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Les, you do know that there are places that can repair those broken fins as good as new, right? At those prices I wouddln't throw anything away. Good looking bike even in the before pictures.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good looking bike even in the before pictures.
Those are the after pic's :lol It was bought as a basket case......It will be redone (again) to a higher spec.

The problem as far as the fin's is i do not have the broken pieces for the front head (one small fin) and the cylinder (two or more) and they are highly visible..The replacments will fix that.
Of course even in that state they would sell no problem.
As far as parts and Ebay,strangely a lot of the bidders are from the US buying outside of the States.I read once that Moto Guzzi's were more popular back in the 1970's/80's compared to Ducati's so parts are more scarce.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
It seems like anything old is worth money.
All the more reason to keep yer TL another 10-20 years. The way folks are parting them out they'll be rarer than rare here very soon.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awsome score Les, can't wait to see more pics of the whole bike and perhaps a ride report:hail
I think the ride report will be a while yet,but i have sat on it,looked around then made the appropriate noises :laugh
To put it into some kind of perspective,i payed around US$1400 for it in bits.
The last set of NOS Conti mufflers sold on Ebay went for just under US$800:dowhat (Of course on the present exchange rate the $1400 turns into $2380)
There are still some bargains to be had though.... I got a mint rechromed headlight surround from Australia for US$40 the other week and a brand new Dyna S ignition from the US for $90.

The thing with this bike is,it is probably what first caught my attention as far as 90 degree V - Twins not that i knew what it was at the time.
As an apprentice in 1976 i was in Christchurch (Down Mike Ford's way) with a couple of mates and heard this booming sound...It was perhaps 20 or more bikes,all with strange names...Moto Guzzi,Ducati that went past... It was no doubt some kind of Italian motorcycles club run...I was :eek:mg

Roundcase 750 Ducati's were only built from 1971 to 1974 (maybe left overs in 75) this is a 1973.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the more reason to keep yer TL another 10-20 years. The way folks are parting them out they'll be rarer than rare here very soon.
That i why i suggested long ago for those folk looking at keeping their TL's to buy parts like gearbox's etc while they are still at a reasonable cost and available low mileage...Someone asked me why i needed 3 spare TLR gearbox's/transmission's.
People are getting smart now and asking bigger money for things like engines etc.
Do i wish i had bought more old Ducati parts 20 years ago,even 10 :laugh :yes
Once things are no longer made parts become a commodity.
Will a TL fetch big money in 10 years,who know's..Maybe a mint,dead stock 97 TLS...Time will tell.
And that is a funny thing in itself,one day things like stock undertrays and "hoe's" will be sought after when years before they had been worthless and thrown away.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
In 1987 I paid £1850 for this

I blew the big ends in the Alps in '89 :dowhat I then blew the big ends again in the South of France in '93, and couldn't afford to rebuild it at the time (just bought a house, been made redundant, etc.,) and didn't have a garage to keep it in, so sold it in '94 with a blown motor for £1650 :banghead

It was advertised on e-bay recently, re-painted in the pale blue SSD colours, and sold for £1750 :dowhat

Damn i want another :rant :coocoo I've always thought it the prettiest of the bevel drive's :O :)

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In 1987 I paid £1850 for this

:)
I payed $8000 (around £2750) in 1983 for my Dec 1981 SD900...23+ years later :) .....Well actually,it is sitting under a cover waiting for me to put Conrod set No 4 in it :lol

Bikes like the GT/GTS and Darmah are what got Ducati though the tough years and there were a few. :)

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
The problem as far as the fin's is i do not have the broken pieces for the front head (one small fin) and the cylinder (two or more) and they are highly visible.
I've know I've seen places that claim they can fix fins even without the missing pieces. I can't find them right now though. :banghead It might be worth a look since I'm sure they will sell for more without the broken bits.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which reminds me.......It really pays to do a little homework.

Here is an auction form a while ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cavis-Dell-Orto-Dellorto-Dellorto-Fuelhose_W0QQitemZ120056941047

$75.02 for 5 feet of the original Cavis Benz fuel line.
The catch ?.. You can still buy it for $4.50 a foot
5 feet for $22.50

http://www.shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=198

I was going to bid :laugh

There used to be a thing with Kawasaki H2 750 rubber straps that hold the rear of the fuel tank down.
There was a seller on Ebay who sold heaps of them.The auction would always say they were no longer available with a Buy it Now of $25...but you could still buy them from your local dealer for $7.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts