TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i received a letter from my HOA the otherday, saying they are going to start conducting compliance tours of my Condo Community. From what they have listed, most of it is reasonable, i have no problem with it, however there is one item i don't agree with in regards to patio furniture. First off, my patio is right in front of my condo, but it is somewhat fenced in by the bushes that go around it. This letter states that "Patio furniture will be limited to a table and 4 chairs", i have no problem with this, it then says that it must be "tan in color" and that existing non tan will be grandfathered in untill April 09. Can my HOA tell me what color my furniture has to be? I have a white table with a glass top that i have had for probally 15yrs. I don't want to have to buy something just because some shmoe decided that it all must be tan. How do i fight this?

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
good reason to attend the agm eh!

I'd check to see what was on the agreement when you signed and whether this is just the fashion nazis running amock.

If its new it may require a majority of owners to make the change legal. some changes may be outside the reach of the committee alone. however that being said some things can be changed at an agm when they have a quorum and the majority of the quorum votes in favour.that may be less than a total member majority.

check the circumstances and check the laws.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
On the positive side, HOA rules keep your neighbors from having dead refrigerators and car engines sitting on their porches. :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Ya know, there's no HOA where my house is in VA nor was there an HOA where my parent's house was. Both areas were nice and tidy and had some of the coolest neighboors (seems motorcycle racers, car racers and small business owners don't like HOA's). There are a lot of ways a neighboorhood can develop culturally without HOA's (which have the same public choice problems as any other coercive bureaucracy):deal

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
The HOA thing keeps you from living next to trash heaps like this guy! :rotfl

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
You could just paint the table.:coocoo

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:laugh no HOA here either...I dont think they existed back in the 1700s when my house was built :O

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I dont think they existed back in the 1700s when my house was built :dunno
a bit of your own handiwork is it? :laugh

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umm....yes they can....but it says they're grandfathering in stuff that's not tan....so just grandfather your table and stuff in. :O

-:banana

Yes, but they are only grandfathering it in untill April 09. At which that point it isn't grandfathered anymore.:banghead

·
14,150 Posts
See, that's how I read it first. You should get clarification on that, because it could also mean that anything you own before April 09 is grandfathered in. All new stuff after April will need to be tan. :O

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See, that's how I read it first. You should get clarification on that, because it could also mean that anything you own before April 09 is grandfathered in. All new stuff after April will need to be tan. :O
I guess i should mention that it says in parenthases (sp) that White will not be allowed after this date :O

·
14,150 Posts
Ahh, well there you go. Does it say black will not be allowed? :D How bout pink? What about pink flamingos? Oh yea in Florida there's gotta be a law protecting pink plastic flamingos from the HOA.

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to call tomorrow and get some clarification. It says in this thing that all patio furniture must be tan, which i don't fully understand. Isn't it the job of the HOA to attempt to protect teh value of the property within a community, or am i thinking of an HOA completely wrong? I'd like to see the correlation between property value and color of patio furniture.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The HOA thing keeps you from living next to trash heaps like this guy!
Dr. Wheelies is a very neat neighbor, I will have you know.

There was a certain disturbingly loud KX of Death incident during an open house though. Oh, and another time, there may have been an SV650 with a Givi trunk on it riding squidly wheelies down the middle of the street, almost splatting the neighbor's street crossing cat in the process.

Oops. Seems I was the one who was riding those borrowed bikes, bringing down the property values. :blush

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:laugh

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Dr. Wheelies is a very neat neighbor, I will have you know.

There was a certain disturbingly loud KX of Death incident during an open house though. Oh, and another time, there may have been an SV650 with a Givi trunk on it riding squidly wheelies down the middle of the street, almost splatting the neighbor's street crossing cat in the process.

Oops. Seems I was the one who was riding those borrowed bikes, bringing down the property values. :blush
Nice to see you "editting" the new neighbors:wheelie:thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
HOA's exist to preserve home values like governments exist to preserve freedom:laugh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts