TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It made for a very interesting ride into work today.The bike felt like it was woblling from both ends.It started at about 70 mph and when I got under 65 it went away.Both tires are new.Where do I start to look for the fix?

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Well, if it only started after the new tires I'd start by checking tire pressures, rear wheel alignment and tire balance.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Check that the rear tire is aligned correctly and that none of the major chassis bearings are loose for starters.

Oh, also check that there's air in the new tires:)

good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will start going thru all the major bearings.And recheck my air pressure.I did the alignment with a metal scale on both adjusters to make sure they were set to the same lengths.I also hope there are no bad bearings I just got it all toghter a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Tires seated on the beads all the way?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know they are seated all the way the did sit for a good month mounted and didnt lose any air pressure at all.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
check the tripple tree, make sure it's tight to the proper spec. if it's loose you will get a shimmy as you are comming down in speed (more weight trans forward). It will give you wierd tire wear as well, but hopefully you haven't run it long enough to see that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Last time I put my wheels back on, some of the axle grease that was smeared on the axle accidentally got between that square shaped spacer thing and the swingarm as I passed it through on the right side. Axle nut was torqued to spec, but this still somehow allowed it to barely slide back when in movement. When the bike was parked I could see the grease had been squished out and smeared back a couple mm, and just that much movement made it feel real squirrely. Degreased that spot and torqued it back down, no problems since. I supposed it's bad to have grease between two things that aren't supposed to move. :O Add that one to the list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may have found the issue.I pulled it in to my work to recheck my rear will alignment,triple tree and swing arm bearings.When I brought it in and checked the rear tire it was the thickness of line on my metal scale difference between the left and right side.I had someone from work that is close to my size sit on the bike and I notice the rear suspension didnt even move.He bounced it a couple times and nothing.So checked the s-h adjustment screw on the rear and it was full lock to h.It took about a full turn before it started to work.I didnt even know that screw could turn that far. So the wobbles where more then likely from the road itself(hopefully).The ride home was much better then the one in.Wobbles at 70 plus wake you up way faster then coffee anyday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts