TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 TLS that I've been sorting issues out on. Last major one left is to get it to idle at a appropriate rpm.

I don't believe this is a cable tension problem since there is some slack on them. Idle screw is backed all the way out. TPS is set and air screws set to 1.5 turns out. If I set the tb's to anything close to even, it'll idle up high (over 3000 rpm). If they're out of sync a bit, it'll idle down and be ok.

Ideas of what I should be looking for?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,892 Posts
check that the fast idle cable/cam isn't holding the throttle plates open?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikePilot said:
check that the fast idle cable/cam isn't holding the throttle plates open?
i've backed the screw out two revolutions. doesn't have any affect at all right now. It acted the same when the cable was just hanging loose at the bars anyways
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,892 Posts
Weird. Somehow too much air is getting into the engine, either because the throttle plates aren't closing as much as they should (this should be easy to verify) or because you have a major vacume leak.

good luck
 

·
Will ride for Food
Joined
·
697 Posts
Check the throttle body boots..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the boots with some carb spray. No noticable changes in idle with it, so the boots seem to be ok.

Gonna keep fiddling with it I suppose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,279 Posts
*jumps up and down*

i know what it is!!

at the throttle linkage on the rear throttle body there's a screw that acts as a stop. with the throttle closed there should be a measured clearence. i think it's 0.20mm but check the manual.
yours will have negative clearence and holding the blades open even with the idle adjustor cable, throttle cables and fast idle cable backed off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tornado said:
*jumps up and down*

i know what it is!!

at the throttle linkage on the rear throttle body there's a screw that acts as a stop. with the throttle closed there should be a measured clearence. i think it's 0.20mm but check the manual.
yours will have negative clearence and holding the blades open even with the idle adjustor cable, throttle cables and fast idle cable backed off
I think that may have been part of it. I've backed it off earlier and have left it loose until I get all the adjustments made.

Part of the fun comes from the bike having been a bit of a project for the previous owner and it sitting for ~6 years before I put a day into reassembly and getting it running. Perhaps it wasn't such a great deal after all? :dowhat :laugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've gotten it at this point. The return fuel line from the FPR was run incorrectly and so it was getting way more gas than it needed. Gonna go ride it tonight some and confirm all is well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bofh said:
I think I've gotten it at this point. The return fuel line from the FPR was run incorrectly and so it was getting way more gas than it needed. Gonna go ride it tonight some and confirm all is well
Other than a abrupt on/off throttle response, it seems to be working correctly. :bounce
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top