TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and new to the TL...pleased to meet you all

Always been a kawasaki ninja fan, had 3 before but always admired the styling of the tlr...so i brought one :)
Its a 99' in blue and white ill throw some pics up when ive taken some
looking forward to learning all about and riding this monster bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I'm new to and to the tl but been a V Twin man for years and I must say the tl is a tidy ride but mine dose seem to run wide in bends if you get lazy on it

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, read the frequent mods category and then get a cheap whiteboard and write down what ones you are going to do in order :rotfl This forum has certainly helped me and is a great resource, had a couple of ninjas myself, a f3 ZX6R and then the G1 model, loved them to bits!!! :hail

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
:bigfingerWelcome. They are an awesome bike, but you need to do a bit to them to reach the full potential - ditch the rear suspension, and revalve and respring the front and you'll have a great bike and a good start;) Until then set the sag, add some compression damping and make sure the rotary damper has gas in it. I have yet to meet one that is still gassed after 10 years. A 190/55 on the rear helps (50 is standard size) too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bigfingerWelcome. They are an awesome bike, but you need to do a bit to them to reach the full potential - ditch the rear suspension, and revalve and respring the front and you'll have a great bike and a good start;) Until then set the sag, add some compression damping and make sure the rotary damper has gas in it. I have yet to meet one that is still gassed after 10 years. A 190/55 on the rear helps (50 is standard size) too.
Hey thanks for the warm welcome
She already has some mods .. Ohlins rear suspension ohlins dampner yoshi's a tre and a nitrous system
I have a problem tho I think
This is my first v-twin and its taking a bit of getting used to ... But it does not feel very sure footed to me ?? The back wheel steps out at low speed 20-30-40mph and 70+ she feels very shakey, not physically shaking but feels like she's skating on glass
The tyres are new but worn in and it's been looked after ... Any ideas ??
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
That "rollerskate" feeling can be a number of things from tyre pressures to wheel alignment, bearings or just lousy setup. I've experienced it recently due to a blown fork seal. Pretty much lost all the oil from one side. I'd start with the easy bits like check the pressures, examine the bearings and make sure the front wheel is in line with the back. If the back is cutting loose you might also want to check there's no oil leaking onto it. Clutch covers can be a PiTA sometimes and when they do bleed guess where the oil tends to end up?

BTW what tyres do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That "rollerskate" feeling can be a number of things from tyre pressures to wheel alignment, bearings or just lousy setup. I've experienced it recently due to a blown fork seal. Pretty much lost all the oil from one side. I'd start with the easy bits like check the pressures, examine the bearings and make sure the front wheel is in line with the back. If the back is cutting loose you might also want to check there's no oil leaking onto it. Clutch covers can be a PiTA sometimes and when they do bleed guess where the oil tends to end up?

BTW what tyres do you have?
Yeah something's not right
Tyres are Dunlop sport max 190/50 on the back

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a fan of dunflops!

the older ones are very wooden and do feel like they are going to give way at any moment!

check to see if there is a date stamp on the sidewall it may be an old tyre and past its best
Ok cool I'll check that out thank you the tyre is probably a minimum Of 4 years old
It's not doin my confidence on my first Suzuki/v-twin any good...feels like I'm riding a jet ski on a frozen lake...on one ski...covered in Vaseline....with no brakes....I could go on :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I really do suspect the tyres to be honest

as I say I'm not a fan of dunflops I had them on a gixxer and they were awful

took forever and a day to warm up!

the michelin pilot power 2ct's are pretty confidence inspiring though I have a part worn set to go back on soon

I'm currently running pirrelli rosso 2's and they grip really well but they follow anything on the road :laugh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

the michelin pilot power 2ct's are pretty confidence inspiring though I have a part worn set to go back on soon

I'm currently running pirrelli rosso 2's and they grip really well but they follow anything on the road :laugh
What are you guys preferred tyres for the TLR through experience

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Shows what a subjective topic this is - after using Dunlop Sportmax's (190/55's), for me the Pilot Power II's felt slow and heavy to turn, and gave less feedback at higher lean angles:O I'm definately quicker through my favourite twistys on the Dunlops. The testers do reccomend higher pressure in the Sportmax's - up to 40 psi in the rear in one test I read.

NB the guy I bought my R off had Pilot Powers and he crashed:laugh

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I f you like them, they'll make you feel good, and you'll ride better - whatever the brand. Riding is 70% in your head. If your head is in the right place - everything else will flow:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well you guys were not wrong ...the tyres were 9 years out of date !!! I don't mind eating the odd out of date sandwich or two but next time I'll check tyres more carefully

1 - 20 of 22 Posts