TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the TLS forum, as this is my first post. I just picked up a 2000 TL1000S and it's "naked," with no front cowl/fairing. It's got an aftermarket "Acerbis" Mickey Mouse front light unit, which I am definitely going to replace.

I've been reading up on the ram air system. Mine, unfortunately, doesn't have the ram air tubes. It has a K&N filter in the air box, but, the bottom is open underneath the filter.Just one big gaping hole leading right up into the inside of the K&N air filter inside. My question is, do I NEED the ram air tubes, and, if so, what connects the two tubes, physically, to the underside of the air box?

Also, if anyone HAS two tubes, and (I guess) the bottom part of the air box that connects them, please let me know. I'll buy them from you, ASAP. If not, can someone post a link to any location that sells the tubes and additional parts?

My second question regards turning the TLS into a streetfighter type of bike. From the forum guru's experience, what is the best streetfighter type handlebar set-up to get me into a more "ride-able" upright position? I'm at a toss-up between the Convertibars system and the Spiegler conversion.

Thanks for any input and comments. This looks like one FANTASTIC forum. :hail

Best,

Frank Germano
[email protected]
www.frankgermano.net

·
Registered
354 Posts
hi Frank, just look at ebay for the tubes, 100% that you will find them there...

i used a set of rizoma risers along with their handlebar, gave me a great riding position..

cheers

Ben

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
But has the bottom of the airbox been sawed off, and do you also need the short horizontal transfer peice that connects one side thru the frame? The stock airbox sucks, but you don't want to suck in hot air from behind the radiator either. When I had a TLS I mad major mods to the stock airbox.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
you need the air box and the tubes to the edge of the frame at least.

u dont want the air off the engine.

I run with out the ram tubes with no problem and mine is semi naked.

It still does 120mph comfortably.

If you are serious about the naked/ fighter look think about going over to R gauges.

the instructions are in the frquent mod section and there is a template there for the mounts and dash.

have a look on the tlplanet at cobramadness he is wrecking an S

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
The airbox is now junk.

I tried that same mod pictured below and lost about 8bhp on a stock engine.

Go back to a stock airbox with the normal airbox mods (flapper removed, opening partially opened up etc) and run the ram air tubes. You can cut them back to just above the radiator with little effect on performance, remember that the performance has virtually no influence by the ram air but in fact from the dynamics and induction length of the intake system :thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah... I'll need another airbox. Mine is totally cut off underneath. It's flat, with only a hole leading up into the inside of the air filter. If anyone has the stock airbox, the connector, and the tubes - I'll take 'em all. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts