TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a few of you guys are really clued up on legal stuff:devious
the thing is ,Im having some health problems at the moment (nowt that cant be fixed:devious ) and i contacted the company i used to work for to ask for some copies of the "cosh" sheets we used to have for all the MANY chemicals i used to use in my job:O fair enough request i thought,Iv never had any runins with them,got promotions,was supposed to be a "valued" member of staff ect,ect:dowhat
anyhoo they basically told me to fook off:dowhat
I can find some of the stuff on the net....................BUT the cosh data that available is all password to view it:dowhat (starting to look dodgy I think)
SOOOOOOOOOOOO after all that whitering on,does anyone know where I stand with the law:O can anyone get access to this info or do you have to request it,AND do they have to even give it out if your not using the stuff anymore :O
thanks Dave:)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah phil,we all got payed off apart from an accountant and a couple of seniour managers,whom like i say,i always got on realy well with :dowhat
I think they smell a compen clame though:devious :laugh

·
Registered
684 Posts
Under the terms of the Data Protection Act you're entitled to see all information they hold on computer about you, but if they're smart there won't be anything that says "He's off sick because we contaminated him with xxx"

But you never know...

·
Registered
684 Posts
If there was a specific incident you could also contact the HSE. Because of RIDDOR (the Reporting of Incidents, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) there might be a permanent record. You should probably look at the RIDDOR website at least.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mrs Miggins said:
If there was a specific incident you could also contact the HSE. Because of RIDDOR (the Reporting of Incidents, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) there might be a permanent record. You should probably look at the RIDDOR website at least.
nah basically i got cancer of the bladder:dowhat of all the fooking places to get it as well::laugh ............coz there are only two ways to have a look at it (and they didnt go through my mouth):dowhat :laugh
anyway its supposed to be VERY rare in anyone under 40 so my oncolagist (s/p) says its more than likely to be something iv worked with, as injection moulding/printing are one of the recognised industries where it can be "caused"
eather that or im just REALY lucky:dowhat but i know for certain that a couple of the chemicals i used in my last job were recognised carsonagenics(s/p)
in all honesty...........all i want is to get sorted out,but i wouldn't mind finding out why its happened:confused

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Dave the ' material handling guide' should be available on the internet for all to see and will tell you some stuff..but if I am correct ( prob not) the coshh assesment will be task/ company specific and you may have difficulty getting access to them as an ex employee..however are/were you a member of a union at the time ..they will help I am sure..

Can I/we ask what chemical/s and their useage you are talking about? I have acces to loads of coshh assesement s at work and we are generally considered a 'safe company' so may be able to let you see ours that may be for same chemicals and tasks..

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richara3 said:
Dave the ' material handling guide' should be available on the internet for all to see and will tell you some stuff..but if I am correct ( prob not) the coshh assesment will be task/ company specific and you may have difficulty getting access to them as an ex employee..however are/were you a member of a union at the time ..they will help I am sure..

Can I/we ask what chemical/s and their useage you are talking about? I have acces to loads of coshh assesement s at work and we are generally considered a 'safe company' so may be able to let you see ours that may be for same chemicals and tasks..
that the problem mate,i cant remember the names of them:banghead iv got a memorie like a fooking .................erm what was i saying:dowhat :laugh
i know one was stuff called rengalux(s/p) but it was "removed" from production because so many people had a "reaction" to it, im talking about swelling up so bad they couldnt see:dowhat NASTY stuff and its what makes your cds nice and shiney people ,its the laquer on the non data side. but there are a few i want to look into

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Just looked Dave we dont have anything on that one...rengalux(s/p)

sorry

It would be worth a call to your union if you were in one ...sounds like there may have been a lot of associated actions/claims/research done especially seeing as its been withdrawn from use..How strict were they on PPE ( personal protective equipment) and enviromental controls, fume extractionetc...should be something to go on...

Actually what you should look for is the 'Material saftey data sheet' its the correct term for the material handling guide. ....

I am not from an hse background or anything so if any one else can pipe up coz I may be barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Dave, where I am, all of the appropriate COSHH sheets should be clearly displayed in the immediate vecinity of the substance in use. Don't know if this is a local reg or a HSE directive, but we're fairly sure that all the COSHH forms should be available to everyone, so why it's pasword protected is highly suspicious :dowhat
We got pulled up on it in our audit and we're only using stuff like IMS.
If it is a HSE rule and they wern't displayed then they are/were breaking the law and if you've got any proof the HSE could throw the book at them.
I'll check with our COSHH expert for you when I get back to work.
The company obviously has a duty of care to it's employees "as far as is reasonably practicable" and richara3 says, PPE should have been provided.
If you really want to find out the law, contact the HSE
Here's a link
http://www.hse.gov.uk/

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Where I work we have risk assessments on all our processes, these are backed up with a lab report and Coshh analasys, all are available on the company intranet, I would not expect these to be readily available to joe public.
I would seek legal advise first Dave, a letter from your barrister would be a little harder to be given the fook off.
If you have worked in an enviroment where you are at risk from harmful substances and the correct PPE was not availale then the company are liable.
I would contact a few work colleagues who may be able to provide statements to back up your claim.

Good luck Dave

but most importantly GET WELL SOON

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem solved:devious
lets just say.........there a cosh sheet missing and dont even know it:devious
thanks for the help though everyone:)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
:stupid ...and get that clutch fixed......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts