TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, please help me before I set fire to my bike!

My TL started cutting out and hesitating really badly back in September after collecting it from a local bike garage where it had some new fork seals and new clutch push-rod seals.
It had a couple of rides during the weeks after and although the cutting out stopped, the hesitating at steady speeds or accelerating carried on.
It's sat in the garage over winter until now when I've dragged it out ready to be MOT'd again. I took it for a quick spin around the block to make sure things are all ok. It started on about the 3rd or 4th attempt and ticked over perfectly whilst warming up. By the time Id got the 100 yards to the bottom of the street though it was bucking and hesitating all over the place.
Please help! This is the second TLR Ive had in two years and Ive not yet managed more than 300 miles on either as theyve both had this same issue!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Two things come to mind....
  • The battery is not being charged properly. So then, the system voltage is lower than it should be. Among other things, a low system voltage results in a weak spark and faulty fuel injection control signals.
  • The spark plugs may be fouled and due for replacement.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
BTW, Welcome to the Zone! (y):D

As a first step, measure the voltage at the battery terminals when the engine is idling and at 5000 rpm. Be sure the system is up to operating temp, and let us know the numbers you get.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
This sounds more like fuel starvation to me. When was the last time the filter was changed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an issue like this and trust me you can get reliable seat time on your TL. Go with checking voltage and I bet you have a bad spot in your front harness. Where it comes up around the tree. I had to take the harness loose and ride down a closed road, in 2nd gear use my left hand and work my way up the harness till it started acting up. Sometimes I could go for two day rides and no problems others I couldn’t leave the driveway. Once I could ride and mess with it to get it to act up I took that 1 foot section of the harness and started probing wires for continuity. Low and behold there were four wires that had stretched and worn to the point that they would sometimes lose contact but there was no way you would have thought it from looking at them as they all looked new. I cut out 6 inches and soldered in new. Made sure putting the harness back that there was plenty of room to move bars all the way left and right. 5000 plus miles and no more problems till now. Now mine wants to die after running fine for warm up. I recently replaced fuel pump gasket cause of a leak. I will find the problem and correct it. I’ve had more bikes then I can remember. R1-GSXR1000-ninja. The TL is my favorite of them all. I have to remind myself that it’s 20 years old and for the first 15 I don’t really know how it was treated. It’s been down at least once and cars get hit all the time causing wires to break. Just stay after it and it will not disappoint you. Side note check out you tube for a TL that has 150,000 plus miles on the clock. I was blown away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi folks, Thanks for the replies, I actually found the cure to my problem the next day after posting.
It turned out that a wire under the seat had been soldered pretty poorly and when going over bumps must have been separating inside the heat shrink. It seemed to be cutting off the fuel pump and the bike would hesitate or cut out.
I resoldered the wire, changed the plugs and stuck a new air filter in it and its been running like a gem ever since.
Even got round to fitting the TRE mod I've had sat in a box for 18 months and what a difference!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an issue like this and trust me you can get reliable seat time on your TL. Go with checking voltage and I bet you have a bad spot in your front harness. Where it comes up around the tree. I had to take the harness loose and ride down a closed road, in 2nd gear use my left hand and work my way up the harness till it started acting up. Sometimes I could go for two day rides and no problems others I couldn’t leave the driveway. Once I could ride and mess with it to get it to act up I took that 1 foot section of the harness and started probing wires for continuity. Low and behold there were four wires that had stretched and worn to the point that they would sometimes lose contact but there was no way you would have thought it from looking at them as they all looked new. I cut out 6 inches and soldered in new. Made sure putting the harness back that there was plenty of room to move bars all the way left and right. 5000 plus miles and no more problems till now. Now mine wants to die after running fine for warm up. I recently replaced fuel pump gasket cause of a leak. I will find the problem and correct it. I’ve had more bikes then I can remember. R1-GSXR1000-ninja. The TL is my favorite of them all. I have to remind myself that it’s 20 years old and for the first 15 I don’t really know how it was treated. It’s been down at least once and cars get hit all the time causing wires to break. Just stay after it and it will not disappoint you. Side note check out you tube for a TL that has 150,000 plus miles on the clock. I was blown away.
That 150,000 mile TL would be mine.. 157,000 plus actually.. Tl's are particularly bad with electronics..specially mid 02 and down.. I've spent years sorting mine out and finally just found a fleabay 03 complete harness to solve many issues.. Among them are numerous power junctions within the harness that corroded over time. Aweful charging thru starter relay plug, headlight/cutout switch shoty solder at plastic switch.. All in all if u get the electrons flowing good its a very reliable machine that 'talks' to you as u pilot thru... Stick with it and it will reward you in spades!!! Can't wait to turn 200,000

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right on. Out of 6 bikes I have had I have 100,000 miles plus of seat time. I don’t care who says what. That’s a lot. I’ve had the least amount on my 01 TL1000r but it is hands down my favorite out of any bike I’ve ever ridden. 200,000 will be a mile stone for you and the old girl. Kick ass video by the way and good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts