TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please go easy on me folks - this is my first post on this site (but used to be a regular back in '98 on Chris's site for those that remember it?:)).

To the point - I've replaced my fork seals and am ready to reassemble but I've found conflicting advice on whether to measure the fork oil gap (97mm) with the damper adjusting rod in or out. The official Suzuki manual seems to suggest measuring with the rod installed but the Haynes manual seems to suggest measuring with it out - as does the excellent TL guide here - http://imageevent.com/tlsdoug/tlzonestuff/tlrtlsforkdisassemblyreassembly

So who's right guys - any suspension gurus out there that can help? I reckon that the damper adjusting rod will make a difference of approx 20ml so it's probably worth getting it right..

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Measure with damper rod in.
Bleed the cartridge, then set the height

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I would trust the Suzuki manual over the non OEM Haynes manual.

I left my rods in, springs out. Over filled them and then sucked the level down to the correct level with a ghetto tool.

(From my failing memory, I thought it was 100mm? :dunno)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:cheers Cheers guys that conforms my thinking - thanks for the quick responses! :)

Sorry I should have mentioned that this is a '98 TLR:bwtiller hence the 93mm..

Just to confirm for others - this is the solid adjuster rod which inserts into what the manual calls the inner rod/damper unit (or cartridge). It's the rod that moves when you make adjustments to the rebound damping using the screw in the cap fork at the top of the forks.

I guess that there are probably a lot of people out there with the incorrect amount of oil in their forks if the Haynes manual and (two) on-line guides are wrong! :eek

Maybe it doesn't make such a big difference?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts